Caledonian Area Group...

Bob Reid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest eddie reffin

Eddie Reffin's on the forum too, I think.

Dave.

Hi All, indeed I am here. Been busy recently building the new layout, being Secretary of the Inverness MRC, Area Group co-ordinator for DEMU, full time job, part time horse whisperer........

We (Inverness MRC) are stewarding on the entrance door for MRS so I'll be around for any meet up at stand 1. Which day is it planned?

Cheers

Eddie

Guest Max Stafford

Hi All, indeed I am here. Been busy recently building the new layout, being Secretary of the Inverness MRC, Area Group co-ordinator for DEMU, full time job, part time horse whisperer........

We (Inverness MRC) are stewarding on the entrance door for MRS so I'll be around for any meet up at stand 1. Which day is it planned?

Cheers

Eddie

I'll be there from Thursday until Saturday afternoon Eddie, I'm sure you'll be sick of the sight of me by then, man!

And folks, not only does he wear all those hats, he also runs a farm on facebook...! ;)

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Jamie pointed to a few photos in this collection in his latest blog entry. I’ve looked at the Scottish pictures – there are a lot of good ones, and some of particular interest. Look at this huh.gif – does this mean that Scottish modellers can now support Coachmann’s campaign for an RTR L&YR 0-6-0 laugh.gif ? (It was on its way for scrapping in Glasgow.)

This appears to show a Polmadie Stanier 5 in Cowlairs Works – except 44949 was a Newton Heath engine! Cowlairs did some funny things with shedcodes when they started overhauling engines from ex-LMS sheds. I remember seeing newly-shopped engines with 68 district shedcodes years after that district was abolished.

And there are three pictures of 2-6-4Ts on trains at Gourock, all taken on the same day in 1965, all with the engines bunker-first. It was pretty unusual to see tanks bunker-first on Gourock or Wemyss Bay trains. I wonder if the Gourock turntable was out of action, though I know it was OK earlier and later in the month those photos were taken.

I’m off now to look at the other photos on the site.

Just a thought, but does anyone know whether the Mallaig layout by Camusdarrach has moved here? I was poking about the old site and came across it again, but couldn't find any reference it it here; it was one I was following progress on and would be interested to catch up with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ph wrote:-

And there are three pictures of 2-6-4Ts on trains at Gourock, all taken on the same day in 1965, all with the engines bunker-first. It was pretty unusual to see tanks bunker-first on Gourock or Wemyss Bay trains. I wonder if the Gourock turntable was out of action, though I know it was OK earlier and later in the month those photos were taken.

From about 1954 I used to cycle down from time to time to Shields Road to watch the 5.25 Gourock go past. This was a heavy commuter train, usually made up with extra coaches (10 vehicles sticks in my mind), and was always double headed. The locos could be Fairburn or Standard tanks, Black 5's, Br Standard 5's, Br Standard 4's, Crabs -- just about anything. And the locos could be any way round. You could see a Tank chimney first piloting a tender first Black 5. Or two tanks chimney to chimney. Or a tank and a Standard 5 both going backwards. Any possible permutation seemed to be possible.

But this was an exception, and I do agree that most tanks ran chimney first most of the time. I just wish I'd had a camera at the time!

:mellow:

Just a thought, but does anyone know whether the Mallaig layout by Camusdarrach has moved here? I was poking about the old site and came across it again, but couldn't find any reference it it here; it was one I was following progress on and would be interested to catch up with it.

Hi B)

Like you Ben, I too was watching the Mallaig layout with great interest - not least as I myself ( does that make sense :mellow: ) have been working along the same line!( excuse the pun! ;) I intend to base my next layout 'loosley' on Mallaig and was feeding off the postings!

Bill.

Just got round to rejoining.  I was in CAG in the old RMweb. I'm from Fife but also lived in Glasgow and Harris.  I now live in Melbourne Australia at the moment and most of my layout's based on the old coast route between Leven and St Andrews.  There is another part of the layout based on the West Highland line too.  Well it starts in the West Highland and terminates at Plockton station.  Didn't think that out very well.

Still trying to finish off my layout but am sort of getting there.

Sliante

Neil

Just got round to rejoining.  I was in CAG in the old RMweb. I'm from Fife but also lived in Glasgow and Harris.  I now live in Melbourne Australia at the moment and most of my layout's based on the old coast route between Leven and St Andrews.  There is another part of the layout based on the West Highland line too.  Well it starts in the West Highland and terminates at Plockton station.  Didn't think that out very well.

Still trying to finish off my layout but am sort of getting there.

Sliante

Neil

Well, my effort goes from The Mound to a version of Kyle in one easy move, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. I'm still working on a explanation for it though. :rolleyes:

Well, my effort goes from The Mound to a version of Kyle in one easy move, so I wouldn't worry to much about it. I'm still working on a explanation for it though. rolleyes.gif

I know what you mean Ben. I'm struggling a bit to come up with one too.

cheers

Neil

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone have any details relating to Boat of Garten, specifically the trackplan , station and signal boxes and what they use the sidings for and any other buildings of interest? Any help much appreciated.

Does anyone have any details relating to Boat of Garten, specifically the trackplan , station and signal boxes and what they use the sidings for and any other buildings of interest? Any help much appreciated.

A quick search at www.scran.ac.uk has a few pics which is a start

http://www.scran.ac.uk/database/results.php?offset=1&no_results=12&scache=1axh81f7h3&searchdb=scran&sortby=&sortorder=ASC&field=&searchterm=%2BBoat%20%2Bof%20%2BGarten

you can view thumbnails without taking a subscription

Also a quick search of google images reveiled a few pics as well

a link to old maps reveal at http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/ a track plan showing a turntable and engine shed

And don't forget the RCHAMS site - a veritable treasure trove of Scottish Railway locations.....(and where most but not all the SCRAN railway stuff is sourced)

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/search/?keyword=boat+of+garten&submit=search

Beside each location (for which there are several for B-O-G smile.gif ) it often shows digital images - click on these and it'll open a further menu of those available online.

Archived