Great Western Railway Stations

melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Hi all

Just obtained a new book, published by Robin Smith, priced £26 It lists all GWR and GWR joint stations as at 1947 with a photo and track diagram.

It is to be in two parts, this being part one. All stations are cross referenced by a number and are in sequence along each line covered.

The photos and diagrams are necessarily a little on the small side, but there is plenty of inspiration for modellers.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

How have the stations been divided up? By region, alphabetically?

Do the track diagrams show the siding layouts or just the main platform detail?

• RMweb Premium

I think that it's this one.

That's the one.

The track diagrams are not scaled and are diagrammatic only but do cover the goods yards etc. and junctions if adjacent to the station.

They are quite small in some cases. e.g. Stroud (Glos) is 130mmx35mm but signal boxes (with frame position convention) and goods sheds are marked on the plans.

The first book covers South, South West & Midlands i.e. a triangle approximating to Paddington, Penzance & Birmingham.

There is and alphabetical list in the back of the book. The stations are covered sequentially, starting at Penzance and heading east, somewhat haphazardly in my opinion, in sections and covering the branches off the main line(s) as it goes.

Apparently the list is based on a survey published in 2005. In part one stations 1-720 are included.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

Sounds like Volume 2 might be for me - assuming it covers the Birkenhead Joint

Should do. The author says he is including all GW & GW joint stations. ie. Vol 1 includes the GW & GC Jt lines in the SE and Mid & GW Jt around Bristol etc.

Keith

Archived