Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Westerns beyond D1073

orcadian

In Roger Harris' 'The Allocation History of BR Diesels & Electrics (3rd & Final Ed) Part Five, apparently WR wanted a fleet of 350 of them!

D1074 - D1099 would have continued the 'Western -----' theme, of which D1086 Western Isle would possibly have had the shortest plate. (Would it have been used for 'specials' on the Kyle of Lochalsh line???)

Then would have come 65 'River's, 26 'Star's and Constellations, followed by 9 natural disasters - including Tornado (How Hornby would have loved that!)

The final hundred might have been q mixed collection of fauna - insects, birds, fish and mammals. 'Daddy, what's a Geranuk?' 'Oh it's just like a 'Phalanger - one of those nice big Western engines!' Perhaps it is just as well that Swindon quit while they were ahead!

Whilst on the Swindon naming lottery theme, I wonder if the Warship names carried by Class 50 give any clues as to the names that the cancelled D600 batch might have carried. Does anyone know whether a list of those has ever come into the public domain?

This sort of speculation is harmless, I think!

Richard

• RMweb Premium

"Western Earthquake" thundering past with a rake of stone wagons...

"Western Hurricane" blasting past Ealing Broadway with a rake of commuters on their way home from work...

"Western Volcano" with both Maybachs clagging on it's last duty before overhaul at Swindon....

Pity that such good photo captions will never appear! ;)

The very thought of 350 extras Wezzies existing has just turned by brain to jelly!

How about ''Western Superiority''....?

On a related notes, it's been mentioned in several books that while Beyer-Peacock were building the Hymeks the BR Board were all set to order another 300, on top of the 101 actually built, but as they were in the throws of going under the contract for 300+ Type 3s went to English Electric instead, hence the 309 37s built..... reality or myth, who knows!

What brains I have left are now dribbling away at the thought of 401 mighty Hymeks scurrying about the WR :D

Nidge

• RMweb Gold

The very thought of 350 extras Wezzies existing has just turned by brain to jelly!

How about ''Western Superiority''....?

On a related notes, it's been mentioned in several books that while Beyer-Peacock were building the Hymeks the BR Board were all set to order another 300, on top of the 101 actually built, but as they were in the throws of going under the contract for 300+ Type 3s went to English Electric instead, hence the 309 37s built..... reality or myth, who knows!

What brains I have left are now dribbling away at the thought of 401 mighty Hymeks scurrying about the WR :D

Nidge

I have always understood it be correct Nidge. What put the kybosh on it was always stated to be mainly the result of comparative trials on the South Wales Valleys between a Hymek and an EE Type 3 borrowed from the Eastern plus, of course, the BRB's strong dislike of diesel-hydraulics which was made even worse by the problems with the engines and gearboxes on the Hymeks plus the 1000s going through a rough patch of poor reliability.

GWR = Gas Works Railway, according to ex Great Central railwaymen. However in my book, the Westerns, Warships and Hymeks were stylish machines with a powerful deep engine sound.

350 ? - How about

Westerns - Western Hydraulic Leak, Western Shy Torque, Western Banker, Western Deficit, Western Unemployment. Western Collapse.

Rivers - Rivers of Blood, River Island, Cry me a River

Stars - Iggy Pop (Loco Mosquito), Billy Idol (out of gear), David Bowie (Station to Station), Rolling Stones (19th nervous breakdown)

Constellations - The Black Hole (Swindon), Hydra (The Hydraulic!!),

Natural Disasters - Flood, Famine, Pestilence, The Grim Reaper.

Mixed collection of fauna - insects, birds, fish and mammals. - Dung Beetle, Teradactyl (extinct), Pilchard (oily fish !!), Weasel The Diesel.

Brit15 (Was a western Brit once !!!)

This sort of speculation is harmless, I think!

This is the ultimate wishlist topic! tongue.gif

Western Rapture

Western Exaltation

Western Pleasure

Western Ecstasy

Western Coming

Western O r g a s m

Western Climax

Western Culmination

Western ########

Whoops! wub.gif

Following the trend of naming after customers we have Western Power ,Western Greyhound and Western National,OK last 2 are bus companies,and maybe Western Independance

Continuing the Deltics racehorses theme we have Western Super Mare :rolleyes:

One of the magazines published a list of the extra "Western Something" names a few years ago, can't remember which one though.

According to Precision Labels website, D1074 - D1099 were to be named:

D1074 WESTERN VALIANT

D1075 WESTERN SCEPTRE

D1076 WESTERN DIADEM

D1077 WESTERN JEWEL

D1078 WESTERN CROWN

D1079 WESTERN VICTOR

D1080 WESTERN LUSTRE

D1081 WESTERN EAGLE

D1082 WESTERN HAWK

D1083 WESTERN FALCON

D1084 WESTERN COMET

D1085 WESTERN PLANET

D1086 WESTERN ISLE

D1087 WESTERN METEOR

D1088 WESTERN ZEPHYR

D1089 WESTERN MISTRAL

D1090 WESTERN FLOWER

D1091 WESTERN ROSE

D1092 WESTERN GARLAND

D1093 WESTERN EMBLEM

D1094 WESTERN LEGEND

D1095 WESTERN HERITAGE

D1096 WESTERN FURY

D1097 WESTERN RAPIER

D1098 WESTERN SABRE

D1099 WESTERN JAVELIN

I don't have John Mayo note from Railway Modeller in 2003 to confirm

Luke.

• RMweb Gold

Had all those extra 52s been built, would they have been kept instead of building the 56s? Whilst Br might have disliked hydraulics, a fleet of some 350 locos would be hard to justify premature binning.

The whole picture would have been very different if that many 1000s had been built. First of course there would have been far fewer Brush Type 4s as the WR would not have had any and would other Regions have accepted having to have diesel hydraulics because the WR would never have found work for that manyblink.gif But whichever way it had gone then BR would still have been looking for a heavy haul freight diesel and what would have happened at that stage would have been very much influenced by the ability, or otherwise, to fit the 1000s for eth operation - in other words more than a lot of 'what ifs'?

• RMweb Gold

The whole picture would have been very different if that many 1000s had been built. First of course there would have been far fewer Brush Type 4s as the WR would not have had any and would other Regions have accepted having to have diesel hydraulics because the WR would never have found work for that manyblink.gif But whichever way it had gone then BR would still have been looking for a heavy haul freight diesel and what would have happened at that stage would have been very much influenced by the ability, or otherwise, to fit the 1000s for eth operation - in other words more than a lot of 'what ifs'?

Mike

I have a book (which is currently closer to Laira than I am at the moment) which has a draft Swindon drawing of a hydraulic with an altered Western bodyshell equipped with two uprated MD 870 Maybach (Hymek) engines, making it a type 5. That, if it came to fruition, would have competed with the 56. The ETH question could possibly have been answered as Swindon did carry out a feasibility study to equip the 52s with such.

What a sight and sound that would have been, a type 5 hydraulic.

Neil

From what I saw, a Western could run rings round any Diesel Electric Type 4, so maybe they should have been type 5 anyway. Maybe it was BR politics...........Shades of the early LMS when the LNWR George V and Precursors were rated Class 3 while the innefective Compounds were rated Class 4 and had to be double headed on LNWR trains that the LNWR 4-4-0s had been routinely hauling for the previous decade or so.

According to Precision Labels website, D1074 - D1099 were to be named:

D1074 WESTERN VALIANT

D1075 WESTERN SCEPTRE

D1076 WESTERN DIADEM..............

I don't have John Mayo note from Railway Modeller in 2003 to confirm

Luke.

I have the exact same listing from another source too.

Regards.

• RMweb Gold

From what I saw, a Western could run rings round any Diesel Electric Type 4, so maybe they should have been type 5 anyway. Maybe it was BR politics...........Shades of the early LMS when the LNWR George V and Precursors were rated Class 3 while the innefective Compounds were rated Class 4 and had to be double headed on LNWR trains that the LNWR 4-4-0s had been routinely hauling for the previous decade or so.

I think it was largely BR politics plus - possibly, but I don't know - pressure from certain parts of the British locomotive industry which was very diesel-electric oriented. I do know that some of the comparative figures used to make out a poor case in the DE vs. DH 'debate' were far from being a straightforward reflection of what was actually happening because instead of using costs from the one heavy maintenance depot on BR which was maintaining both types (i.e D10XX and Brush Type 4) costs were taken from another WR depot for the D10XX and a depot on another Region for the Brush design. As the two Regions accounted their overheads and main works costs on a completely different basis the figures were incompatible (and in favour of the diesel electric) before they even got down to depot costs. Going a bit further than that I was told that modification work - to deal with their multiplicity of 'teething troubles' was excluded from the Brush figures but included for the D10Xx - again due to differences in accounting methods. In other words you could have written the report's conclusions first and put the numbers in afterwards to suit what the report was meant to say before it was even written Mind you it should be noted that this information came from a WR loco engineer - but he was spot on about the fact that the ideal depot for comparison was not used and about the accounting differences so I can but assume the rest was true as well.

Equally for anyone who worked with the locos in any way their comparative abilities were, I think, fairly well known with - generally - the 1000s coming out as the better of the two especially in terms of sure-footedness and sheer ability to shift tonnage. In that respect a DH did have the advantage of, in effect, having what amounted to coupled axles on each bogie thus minimising the risk of individual wheel slip and they had sanders (they also had brakes which didn't wind themselves 'on' in running to the extent of heating wheels sufficiently to loosen the tyres). But then I'm probably biased as I had a lot of experience with them as an operatorwink.gif

PS And of course in drawing up comparative details a lot of the work was done by Derby - perhaps some things never changed.

Archived