Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Westerns beyond D1073

orcadian

I think the first one was originally going to be called Cheddar Gorge.

Presumably the idea was to name the others after West Country beauty spots, but the name does offer other possibilities, such as Weston Pier (tourist traps), Somerset Levels (topographical features), The Severn Bore (natural phenomena) and of course Mornington Crescent / One Song To The Tune Of Another ...

Western Bypass - though its in Newcastle, deepest LNER country. Maybe they could paint it in Apple green, or black and white stripes?

Ugh, perish the thought! We have a Western Bypass in our town now as well.

Re Cheddar Gorge, off the top of my head, I think a set of wooden 'mock up' plates were made for D1000, then discarded when the name was changed to Western Enterprise. I think that's right anyway, need to check.

Have we had 'Western Division' yet...?

Nidge

At the risk of being political...

Western Infidel

Western Culture

Western Influence

Western Capitalist Pig

Western Spy

Westernisation

Western Bloc

Western Hemisphere

Western Isles (Wrong region...)

Western World

Western Europe

• RMweb Gold

With D1000 originally shown in a mocked-up artists impression as 'Cheddar Gorge' (it appears in Haresnape's volume covering the diesel-hydraulics) they might also have turned out as a 'traditional cheeses and British products class' and not just as Western beauty spots such as 'Butlin's Barry Island' or 'Ladbroke Grove Gasworks'. So we missed out on 'Stilton Vale' and a loco renaming to 'Lymeswold' sponsored by a dairy company while 'Caerphilly' could have doubled as a 'Castle' or even a destination board for a local service up the Rhymney Valley.

Far better I think would have been to use the old broad gauge names and then have great fun pointing out that all the misspellings were historically accuratewink.gif

'Ladbroke Grove Gasworks'... I like that Mike! Has shades of Steptoe & Son about it which leads me too 'Oil Drum Lane'. How about 'Wormwood Scrubs', to add to the Western Region location theme... also, 'Kensal Rise Cemetary' (not too far away), 'Huntley & Farmer Biscuit Factory, Reading' and 'Slough Industrial Estate'.... ;)

I seem to have mislaid my coat!

Nidge

• RMweb Premium

they might also have turned out as a 'traditional cheeses and British products class' ... So we missed out on 'Stilton Vale' and a loco renaming to 'Lymeswold' sponsored by a dairy company while 'Caerphilly' could have doubled as a 'Castle' or even a destination board for a local service up the Rhymney Valley.

You could easily name the locos actually built from this list of British cheeses and there's some good solid locomotive names in there. In fact I'm sure Stinking Bishop was an A3 and Beacon Fell traditional Lancashire (Protected Designation of Origin) was a Royal Scot. Plenty good enough for the Western in other words.

If you wanted to extend the class you'd have to widen the search a bit as Stationmaster suggests to other British products - Jammy Dodger, Scotch Egg and Malteser have a fine ring to them.

• RMweb Premium

For those who resent Swindon's dead hand in the closure of the S&D here is a list of possibles:

Western Conspirator

Western Plotter

Western Traitor

Western Backstabber

Western Politician

Western Bureaucrat

Western Saboteur

Western Ignoramus

;)

Oh and in honour of the popularity of that class of diesel

Western Basher

Western Anorak