Paint for Natural Materials

I've seen these before in a B&Q (or similar) but failed to think where they might be useful in a modelling context. I'll be interested to hear of any experiments with these and see the results.

On the subject of textured finishes, try adding fine sand to ordinary acrylic paint or a fibrous material such as the saw dust produced by power tools like jigsaws and such. These are useful in scenic applications before adding flock or static grass.

Also under the heading of "look interesting but not tried personally", Windsor and Newton produce a range of "Acrylic Texture Gels" to add to acrylics for various effects.

W&N Acrylic Texture Gels

Again, if anyone has tried these I'd be interested to hear.

Guest jim s-w

Looks similar to plasticote textured paint to me. The aged iron might be good for road surfaces perhaps - will have to get a can and have a play.

Below is plasticote suede used to represent concrete in 4mm scale.

suedecoat%20concrete.jpg

HTH

Jim

Pete, I've used the wretched things for something non-railway and - apart from the nozzles clogging (very irritating need to frequently re-shake and pick out with a pin) - the finish looks remarkably good; coarse in its way, but good. Certainly I could foresee an OO use for it. The only problem is, I can't for the life of me remember what I used them for :unsure:

I will edit into this post when my memory reboots, guys.

Looks similar to plasticote textured paint to me. The aged iron might be good for road surfaces perhaps - will have to get a can and have a play.

Below is plasticote suede used to represent concrete in 4mm scale.

HTH

Jim

Jim,

That looks great. What colour plasticote have you used, or have you oversprayed it with something, to get that light grey base colour? I'm guessing the latter as most Plasticotes seem to be in shades of brown. I have a project in mind which needs a finish very like that.

Thanks

Arthur

• 1 month later...
Guest jim s-w

Hi All

Tried out the Rustolem Aged Iron today. Its quite textury! More so than games workshop roughcoat. In 4mm scale I would say its too harsh for tarmac or concrete but would be OK for rougher roads or a pebbledash finish.

HTH

Jim

Guest jim s-w

Hi All

To give an idea of size here is one of my walls treated with the above and a few bods for scale

textured%20wall.jpg

HTH

Jim

To give an idea of size here is one of my walls treated with the above and a few bods for scale

Jim, is the paint very fast drying? Reason I ask is it looks like it could be useful for ballasting small areas at a time so long as there is time to wipe the stuff off the sleepers.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Chaps

I do prime first yes. Whether you have to I dont know. Its very fast drying and a bit uncontrolled plus its quite dusty once dry. I am not sure letting it near track would be a good idea TBH. This wall will have a good coat of Matt varnish before it goes near the layout.

It might be good for tarmac in 7mm scale and perhaps even coal in 2mm!

HTH

Jim

Archived