The Train Shop, Morecambe

(The) Youth

Guest TomTank

Superb shop.

I have been in twice now and both times couldn't resist buying something! Always a good sign in a shop :lol:

Such a nice chap, always ready to see if you need any help.

I also remember the first time my father and I went in, he asked to write down where we had come from

as he liked to see where all the customers came from.

Very well stocked shop, pleasure to do business with.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been a regular customer of Richards for nearly the last 20 years not long after he opened. If Carlsberg did trainshops this would be it! Always well stocked and good prices friendly service and nothing is ever too much trouble. If you have never been it is well worht a look if you are in the area!

Mark

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Visited today, and came home with a real bargain, a rebuilt Patriot for fifty quid marked as a sale item.

However, the main intention of this post is not to promote this shop, but to advise that Richard is looking to reduce his commitment and to spend more time with his family. He told me that in the near future, he plans to reduce his opening hours a bit and is aiming to stop opening on Mondays and Tuesdays (he's already shut on Wednesdays). So if anybody plans to visit, they'd be best to ring first to make sure he'll be there, and to aim to go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

I'm pretty sure that he's planning to keep the shop running, as he took an order from me for one of the Hornby locos that is not due until the 3rd quarter of 2011.

• 1 month later...

Visited today, and came home with a real bargain, a rebuilt Patriot for fifty quid marked as a sale item.

However, the main intention of this post is not to promote this shop, but to advise that Richard is looking to reduce his commitment and to spend more time with his family. He told me that in the near future, he plans to reduce his opening hours a bit and is aiming to stop opening on Mondays and Tuesdays (he's already shut on Wednesdays). So if anybody plans to visit, they'd be best to ring first to make sure he'll be there, and to aim to go on a Thursday, Friday or Saturday.

I'm pretty sure that he's planning to keep the shop running, as he took an order from me for one of the Hornby locos that is not due until the 3rd quarter of 2011.

The shop is now only open Thursday, Friday and Saturdays

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Simon

Richard also advised me of the same when I ordered my new coaches, which were only a pound dearer than Hattons (except for one that was a pound cheaper) once the postage was factored in. Hattons = £98.00 for three inc p&p Richard = £99.00 no p&p and everything will be unboxed, checked, and tested before leaving the shop. No brainer really....

• 2 years later...

Hello,

Whilst I don't get to visit as often as I would like I still get most models I want from Richard as I generally preorder the locos I want. I then send my mother through to collect them where they are always tested and well packed so she can carry them back on the train. Fantastic service and very good prices.

Thanks

Mark

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

I visited yesterday, and Richard said he had still not finalised his plans over the future of the shop, and that until he did, he'd prefer that we don't discuss online.

I will therefore respect his request, and have deleted my previous post pending further news.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

It does appear that this excellent establishment has now closed, as I went past today, and there is a "shop to let" notice on the gate to the side passage.

Well, it was good while it lasted, and we'll have to see what happens now, as this was the best shop for miles - I'm guessing that trips to Carlisle to see Mike are going to be the only solution now, though there is still a model shop on Carnforth station, and it may well be that now that Richard has gone, we might see that getting a lot more trade.

Archived