Maunsell/Bulleid Solebar Footsteps

Ian J.

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of a supplier of 4mm etched brass solebar footsteps for Maunsell/Bulleid coaches? These are specifically for fitting to the ends of the solebars on some Comet kits of Bulleid multi-door coaches Diags 2121 and 2316.

TIA

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard,

I think you might have the wrong steps in mind. The solebar step that runs the whole length of the body isn't a problem, and I've done much as Comet suggest, though as my soldering iron just broke I can't actually fit them.

The steps I actually mean are the ones that are fixed underneath the solebar at each end of the carriage. Comet make no mention of them in their instructions, it just seems they decided to omit them. I can see that they wouldn't be the most difficult thing to scratch up, but I'm not at all certain that I could get them duplicated accurately, which is why I was hoping someone did an etch of them. I couldn't find anything on the SP website, but haven't looked elsewhere yet.

Hi Ian.

I take it, you mean these steps ?. Shown arrowed Red.

post-7009-0-29965700-1295374667_thumb.jpg

post-7009-0-89902100-1295374722_thumb.jpg

(Both drawing sections Copyright)

As far as I know, these fittings go back to the L&SWR 'Ironclads' (in a different shaped configuration), if not, before.

The majority, if not,all, of the Maunsells, and all of the Bulleids were so fitted (even those without side-buffers)

I do applaud Hornby, for adding these to their Maunsell range, although they are in a vunerable / delicate position, and, as you would prefer, they would best be made out of a Brass / thin metal etching.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any one, who produces these (off the shelf), and my best advice would be to look at what's available, r.e:- equal angle + un-equal angle + Brass sections from the likes of Eileen's Emporium. (No Connection).

May the Force, be with You........F.

• RMweb Premium

That's the ones. I just checked the Roxey site and no sign of them there. Seems like one of those little details that has been omitted from the various etch manufacturers. I wonder if the Hornby ones are available as spares...

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mallard,

I think you might have the wrong steps in mind. The solebar step that runs the whole length of the body isn't a problem, and I've done much as Comet suggest, though as my soldering iron just broke I can't actually fit them.

The steps I actually mean are the ones that are fixed underneath the solebar at each end of the carriage. Comet make no mention of them in their instructions, it just seems they decided to omit them. I can see that they wouldn't be the most difficult thing to scratch up, but I'm not at all certain that I could get them duplicated accurately, which is why I was hoping someone did an etch of them. I couldn't find anything on the SP website, but haven't looked elsewhere yet.

Ah THOSE steps. Apologies. Yes they are a feature and I would agree with Ceptic about 'scratching' them from brass strip; maybe even left over etch from the kit?

If you made a little jig you could 'mass produce' them, however, rather like hinges, they would take quite a long time :huh:.

Coachman may have something?

(Lovely drawings by the way Ceptic. Are you allowed to reveal the source? I usually rely on Mr King's 'Bible'!)

36E

From memory he drew them , which make a wonderful record of Southern coaches.

Of course you could always do an etch, I think i did some a few years ago on part of an etch, but cant remember where they are now.

Kind regards

Many thanks for your kind complements, Mallard60022 and Blandford1969.

But......"Aaarrh,..M'cover's been blown !!"

Drawn in the dark days of 1979/80, before PC(s), (of any kind), using pen, ink and paper, to a scale of 4mm./1ft., (my eyesight still hasn't recovered :blink: )

They were first published in the MRC in 1980/81, to add to those excellent and comprehensive drawings of Bulleid coaches by 'VE', which had previously been published in 1951, and repeated in 1967.

These two series were later combined, along with others by 'VE' (Bulleid 4-SUB EMUs *), the original 'Tavern Cars', drawn by R.H.Fielding, and modelled in 'O' Guage by Derek Lucas, and, not forgetting one, Jane E. Quenault, who completed the unfinished 4-SUB drawings* by 'VE' to form the 'Model Railway Constructor Planbook 1, Bulleid Coaches In 4mm Scale', compiled by S.W.Stevens Stratten, ISBN 0 7110 1329 2, Publr., Ian Allan 1983....

.....A handy book to have about you, if you're a Southern coaching stock enthusiast......Plug...Plug...:D .

I'm attempting, at the moment, to clean up my drawings (and my mistakes...see signature) using the, free to me, computer technology. This may take some time !!

Many apologies for going completely off topic, Ian J... (I was asked)

* I'm not jumping to conclusions, but I've often wondered 'What happened to the unkown draughtsman, known as 'VE' ?'; or, even, 'Who he is / was ?'.

Looking at his series of drawings, in the Planbook, he appears to have faded away after completing the 4-SUB, Cl.405/1 (41xx Series) Emus, but the earlier Cl. 405/0s (401x Series) 'Shebas' were re-drawn, and completed by Ms. J. E.Quenault.

'If Only' applies here, especially, if they were able to reply, via this forum.

As they say..."Respect"

Cheers Ian, for allowing me to speak my piece., Frank

• 2 months later...

That's the ones. I just checked the Roxey site and no sign of them there. Seems like one of those little details that has been omitted from the various etch manufacturers. I wonder if the Hornby ones are available as spares...

This recent post, by Ark Royal, shows Replica's latest MU accessory pack. It looks to include a pair of (plastic) end steps, which also might suit SR coaches.

http://www.rmweb.co....ys-mu-fittings/

Coachman may have something?

He has. The lower end steps were produced with my Stanier coaches. These were only a short production run, and others were built for my own use. I am hanging onto the lower step etches seeing as they are so useful and so sadly I cannot offer any for sale. The etch is a simple fold up 'T' and once soldered in place it is are not as vunerable as people might think.

• RMweb Premium

This recent post, by Ark Royal, shows Replica's latest MU accessory pack. It looks to include a pair of (plastic) end steps, which also might suit SR coaches.

http://www.rmweb.co....ys-mu-fittings/

Thanks for that link. They look like the right kind of end steps, so I'll have to have a chat with Godfrey or his son next time I see the Replica stand at an exhibition.

• RMweb Premium

Not the best photograph you'll ever see, but as Adrian said the Comet Models C26 Super Detailing etch has four of these.

Geoff

Thanks for that, it gives me choices. As the coaches are Comet ones and of all metal construction I would prefer to stick with something out of etched brass as in the etch, but the Replica ones remain a possibility.

Archived