Rod Stewart requests large table

tinsley-toton

• RMweb Gold

Rods layout has been in Model Railroader twice and is far from a trainset, I don't doubt it's expensive but it's not as large as some personal layouts they feature. It's a massive finescale Pennsylvania layout in HO and has a very impressive cityscape. He builds the skyscrapers and other buildings while on tour. He admitted to help with the scenics but he has built the majority of the city and it is very good. I can only think of one other individual who has tackled such a large city and that's George Selios of Finescale Miniatures.

Funny you should mention this. I bought the MR in Florida last November and read the article about Rod's layout. Very very impressive, particularly the way it has all been weathered into a very prototypical appearance.

Well worth reading about, and credit to Rod for telling the press of his hobby.

I agree with the above comments - but one of my friends here (in Nevada) said what I believe to be a common thought - "The best layout money can buy".

Now, I know some people buy completed layouts so they can run trains. They aren't interested in building models - they just like to run them. That's okay. But I wouldn't put Mr. Stewart in that category. He does what he does best - buildings. He has friends help him with the other work. There a lot of people that approach their layout building that way.

Even John Allen had friends build things here and there - not because he couldn't - but because that's part of the fun of the hobby, sharing it with friends.

And if Rod Stewart pays some of these people for their work - well, he can afford it, and maybe they need the money - who knows?

It is still a marvelous piece of work, no matter how it came about.

By the way the large table was for the hotel suite he lives in whilst on tour not his changing room.

On someone getting help with his layout there are plenty of British examples. I beleive Gresly Beat is not one mans sole work (in fact some of the scenic work was done by Roger daltry of the Who), Little Bytham Tony Wrights layout is getting a fair bit of help, as is Retford, to name but three.

I see nothing wrong in that!

• RMweb Gold

I don't like his music, but would like his money! His modelling skills are so widely reported that I cannot disbelieve them, and think he is genuinely talented. Model-building during the many boring hours when you are off-stage but far from home sounds great. As said in this thread, when stars like him mention modelling, we all suffer less ridicule. Thanks Rod!

Archived