DB(S) lose Celsa (UK) shunting contract.

Glad everything is sorted for the Tidal gang now.They will be employed by GBRF from midnight Friday,a couple of 08's will be delivered very soon and a back up class 73 will turn up over the weekend towed in by two class 20's they will return on Sunday

The three DBS 08's will be moved to AD at 0200 Saturday.

6V27 15:51hrs Tonbridge - Cardiff - apparently going to the Rod Mill, via Long Dyke.

The Cl.20s will apparently work light from Nesaden (I'm told) to Tonbridge, Friday.

The 'ED' is 73209, which is being collected by the 20s from St. Leonards Saturday morning.

I've not been made aware of the 08s - Boden Rail, at Washwood Heath was one source mentioned.

I'm also told that GBRf have secured a Cardiff Rod Mill - Rotherham train of rebar, to run MWFO departing the Rod Mill about midnight, and arriving back 26hrs later.

This train should also be using the Long Dyke access to the Rod Mill - perhaps that's why GBRf are serious thinking about a longer term future for their 66/4s ?

An 'ED' shunting MBAs into Tremorfa .......... you couldn't make it up, no one would believe you !

Brian R

Glad everything is sorted for the Tidal gang now.They will be employed by GBRF from midnight Friday,a couple of 08's will be delivered very soon and a back up class 73 will turn up over the weekend towed in by two class 20's they will return on Sunday

The two 08's being sent down are not in that good condition and will need some tlc till the Hunslets get there in June.

Shame on Toton for sending down unreliable locos.Would like to see the 20's on shunting duties.:D

Why does the 73 need towing by two Class 20s? The diesel range on the thing can't be that bad that it can't get from SR areas to Cardiff on its own light engine?

The two 08's being sent down are not in that good condition and will need some tlc till the Hunslets get there in June.

Shame on Toton for sending down unreliable locos.Would like to see the 20's on shunting duties.:D

Catman are you infering that the new Hunslet diesel shunter is going to be used on this contract?

Gordon A

Bristol

Why does the 73 need towing by two Class 20s? The diesel range on the thing can't be that bad that it can't get from SR areas to Cardiff on its own light engine?

I'm told 73209 isn't fitted with either TPWS or OTMR which restricts its mainline operation a bit, but won't be a problem around the two steel works,Tidal Sidings and the intervening stretch of track.

I don't know when the contractors will start to lay the third rail.

Word is, this 'ED' will be a stop gap, then stand-by, pending the initial arrival of two Cl.08s (believed to be 08202 and 08934, but not confirmed), and later followed by two R/C fitted Hunslet products (of which I know nothing).

Brian R

Br is correct about the 73,it will be interesting to see what happens when the 08's gets derailed,who will repair the track and who will re rail them.The internal track was maintained by DBS in a very cost effective way.There has been some problems with points,the bad weather made things worse.the transfered drivers know the score anyway.

The Hunslet locos are good but some of the type were prone to derail,but should be good for this work,see what happens in June.

The 73 is a standby loco,the GB man told me yesterday as he was setting up the new operation for the internal shunts.

The replacement 08's will be given a hard test on this job so it may take a week or two to get things right.The Gronks are worked hard there.

Sad to see DBS 08's leave there .:(

I recall 73136 running light from Hither Green to Cardiff Canton light for tyre turning once!.

You're not being serious about juice rails at ASW are you !! surely ?

Bluebird.

I recall 73136 running light from Hither Green to Cardiff Canton light for tyre turning once!.

A couple of 73s visited Canton after the new Hegenscheit lathe was installed - never saw one running myself, no internet then to warn us !

Have pics of one at Cardiff Central being towed by a Cl.59 and tailed by a Cl.50 en-route to Barry Open day, Aug. 1990.

Brian R

Apart from stuff like OTMR, I've heard that the EDs are prone to overheating if run "on the diesel" for too long. IIRC I read in Rail magazine that this disrupted a route-learning trip for some Freightliner drivers from Southampton to Birmingham.

Don't think these 08's will cope with the work.:lol:

Apart from lack of RC, what else is different about 08202 to the DB-S ones that it might not cope ?

Presume the TUPE'd staff go back to proper engine driving in the short term, which might mean the locos actually stopping to change direction, and less crank slippage maybe ?

............................................,its a remote issue.Ranging from loss of signal ......................................

Now they weren't trying to use a Dynamis, were they???????

Gets hat and coat and then runs for cover!!!!!!!!!

David

Phil

These locos will be worked pretty hard on that job,a man in the cab is better as he will be able to get a feel of the loco much better than standing 100 yds away.The locos sent down will get a culture shock,they need to be in good nick.From early reports they may need time to "bed" in .I guess it will take a week or two

As the saying goes "a man in the cab is better than one in the bush":lol:

Just been told the second loco is a bag of poo, the 73 will be busy.Its being used as a barrier wagon as well.If GBRF mess Celsa around those locos will end up in the melt shop

The contract hasn't even started yet Catman. Can't you give the guys a chance ?

Report back in two weeks time and tell us just how cack 08202 and 089xx are, and how the ED has been out 23 hours a day, but don't tell us the customer is going to trash his contractor's loco fleet.

Jon_Eng

It is when the EDs are under power for long periods that they get a bit sweaty. Can't imagine the ED (if they use it that much) will be at significant power settings for more than so many minutes in each hour.

I'm sure GBRf use 73s on diesel at other locations for shunting,and, although I have to say that they are not totally ideal for heavy shunting, they do have rather handy controls in all four corners. They are only 600hp on diesel and not geared for shunting, but I guess metal is already being cut for the new locos which will be delivered soon enough.

An interesting note might be to watch the kind of wagons used in there in future. Perhaps DB-S might have to dust off some buffer and shackle fitted trucks.

The guys are not the problem,it what they have to use to do the job.The grass is not always greener.:rolleyes: I am sure it will work out in the end.They need to get the Hunslets down asap.

Its a bit like ground hog day.

GBRf have been using a 73 (possibly this one) as a shunter at Whitemoor until fairly recently, so they have some experience of using them on heavy work (though perhaps not on such c*** track).

As regards the 'overheating ED'- it wasn't a light engine route-learning to Landor Street, but working vice a 47 (back in the 1980s, I think) on a 'liner. No wonder it over-heated.

(i)

The contract hasn't even started yet Catman. Can't you give the guys a chance ?

Report back in two weeks time and tell us just how cack 08202 and 089xx are, and how the ED has been out 23 hours a day, but don't tell us the customer is going to trash his contractor's loco fleet.

(ii)

An interesting note might be to watch the kind of wagons used in there in future. Perhaps DB-S might have to dust off some buffer and shackle fitted trucks.

(i)

Personally, as I know one or two of the those who've transferred from DB(S)to GBRf, I hope the transition goes well, and the future is good to them.

However, when a contract that requires two locos (and a spare) becomes yours at midnight, and you deliver your (one) loco at 07:00, then find it won't start because it has flat batteries, and it hasn't got buckeye couplers so can't shunt MBAs from Tidal into the scrap bay, and (apparently) you don't have any tools or supplies on site, and the only fitter there doesn't work for you until midnight, it doesn't create a good impression of the "third largest freight operator" on UK rails.

(ii)

DB(S) will continue to feed the Tremorfa plant with the same wagons, MBAs, and as in the past, in no particular pattern, with buckeyes and shackles mixed. But DB(S) kept two BRA coil wagons at Tidal to use as 'translator' wagons twixt MBA wagons and non-buckeye fitted locos. When the contract ends at midnight, DB(S) will take their ball home with them (BRA wagons,3x Cl.08s,and office block). SSA wagons haven't been seen at Tremorfa for some time, DRS use hired in VTG boxes. I don't know whether any JNA boxes still put in appearances.

As for 73209, I'm told it's intended to be a 'spare' loco, which means it will be in frequent use.

As for the quality of the Cl.08s used by DB(S) there have been many reported reasons for their increasing poor availability; including age, condition, alleged poor quality repairs at Toton, site conditions around the steel works, poor PW in some places, heavily loaded billet trains with no brakes, and sometimes poor handling by operators. Personally, I don't have sufficient intimate knowledge to comment.

Brian R

I think Brian has summed up the situation very well. Hopefully the boys and lady gets everything they need to run it in the proper manner.They deserve that. They are a fantastic bunch that deserves a bit of luck.

Been involved off and on with this operation for many years. Good luck to them.

Archived