Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Guest bri.s

Top modelling ,the depot area looks great . Really looking forward to the depot buildings .

You certainly have a way with the camera sir.

And don't all mugs look like that ? :)

Brian

Edited by bri.s

Hi Dave,

The latest pics look great, really like 37012.and the shots of the depot certainly have that Haymarket feel.

I used the plaster method for my shed floor and hard standing in the goods yard, if I were to do it again I would probably use plasticard and rough it up a bit then paint it.

Cheers Peter. 

Hi Dave,

The latest pics look great, really like 37012.and the shots of the depot certainly have that Haymarket feel.

I used the plaster method for my shed floor and hard standing in the goods yard, if I were to do it again I would probably use plasticard and rough it up a bit then paint it.

Cheers Peter. 

Thanks Peter. I'd be interested to know why you wouldn't use the plaster method again? 

Hi Dave, nice to see progress is being made on the depot. I agree with Peter it oozes Haymarket. Lovely selection of traction on shed!

That controller looks like a bit of a beast!

I am still pondering over how to best recreate the concrete floor for my shed. Looking forward to seeing your next update.

You need to set the function symbols on your ECoS so they mean something to you and other operators.

If you have decoders with Railcom Plus they are set automatically for you from the decoder.

I do, and set up many other functions and so on too, especially routes once the points and signals are all installed and working. I'm really looking forward to that, as setting routes by operating points individually is very tedious on WW. It's the potential of the ECoS that attracted me to it, including the option of computer control and block occupancy detection in the dim and distant future. 

STOP PRESS: 16 Cobalt points now successfully installed. 3 more at the end of the Princes St. section should see all platform roads at WW usable again.

Cheers

Dave

PS TTG - Which decoders have Railcom Plus? Mine are almost all ESU version 3 or 4.

Hi Dave, nice to see progress is being made on the depot. I agree with Peter it oozes Haymarket. Lovely selection of traction on shed!

That controller looks like a bit of a beast!

I am still pondering over how to best recreate the concrete floor for my shed. Looking forward to seeing your next update.

Cheers Alex. I'll see if I can do a close-up of my concrete to see if that will give you a better impression of the surface as it is at the moment. I've used Woodland Scenics paints (a mixture of tarmac and concrete I think). There's plenty of scope to vary the colour with these paints, it's more the texture I'm not totally sure about right now. 

Hi Dave,

It's the mess really, and sanding it then filling it to make it look smooth, then more sanding. Plus waiting for it to dry.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Dave,

You are doing well with your new set up. Its not a race, no rush. Its always so tempting to rush to see what the new box of tricks can do and end up changing so many things that you cannot find your way back when things go base over apex.

Of course its then turn to RM Web for answers.

As for Railcom Plus decoders, certainly ESU Loksound V4's are Railcom Plus capable but you may need to turn it on in the decoder. It can be done from within the ECoS on the decoder programming page either PoM or on the programming track.

Some Lenz decoders are also Railcom Plus capable but after that I am not sure. All mine are either ESU V4 Loksound or ESU V4 XL Loksound.. Just remembered, my Lionheart 45XX is Zimo but I don't hold it against it.

You doing well.

Hi Dave,

You are doing well with your new set up. Its not a race, no rush. Its always so tempting to rush to see what the new box of tricks can do and end up changing so many things that you cannot find your way back when things go base over apex.

Of course its then turn to RM Web for answers.

As for Railcom Plus decoders, certainly ESU Loksound V4's are Railcom Plus capable but you may need to turn it on in the decoder. It can be done from within the ECoS on the decoder programming page either PoM or on the programming track.

Some Lenz decoders are also Railcom Plus capable but after that I am not sure. All mine are either ESU V4 Loksound or ESU V4 XL Loksound.. Just remembered, my Lionheart 45XX is Zimo but I don't hold it against it.

You doing well.

Cheers TTG. I've got the hang of installing Cobalt digitals now, so I thought I'd press on with as many of those as I can install and then think about the ones that will need SwitchPilots/analogue Cobalts or even low current Pecos due to spatial constraints (you can expect some questions coming your way then!). Then there's the signals too (more questions probably!). So plenty to get on with. 

I've been keen to get on with the point motors, as it will make WW a fully operational layout again, and I've been having to switch the points manually for far too long. Doing that is so tedious on WW that I really haven't run many trains for a long time and much as I enjoy working on the layout, I miss just having an operating session now and again.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have set aside a few gigabytes of disk space already for your PM's so possibly need to add a few more to be ready for new ones. :locomotive:

Not a problem, always willing to help. Good to know the advice is working.

Hi Dave,

A take over of Rannoch with your stock sounds likea great idea at some point. It looked good with Kev's 80's fleet when you took those nice photos at Barrow and yours would look very at home on it too.

All the best

Mark

Shed is really looking the part, I'm considering something similar once I get in the shed properly. How wide is the board its on?

Al

Hi Al,

It's 0.85m wide. I'd have liked another siding on the right hand side really, to model the shed there as the 2-road building it is. But that would have restricted access to the country section at the end, so it was a bit of a compromise really. Four tracks past the depot would also have been nice too!

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

A take over of Rannoch with your stock sounds likea great idea at some point. It looked good with Kev's 80's fleet when you took those nice photos at Barrow and yours would look very at home on it too.

All the best

Mark

It's a deal, Mark!

Hi Dave,

Having spent the best part of 2 days catching up on your thread when I should have been working, I just wanted to join everyone else in adding my congratulation and admiration for your amazing work. I lived on Jeffrey St and worked on Princes St for a few years at the end of the 90's, so your model pretty much represents my walk to work!

I particularly like your passenger and platform cameos and wondered if you do much in the way of customising your figures?

Cheers,

Andy

Cheers Andy. Glad to have brought back some memories for you in the same way it has done for me.

I don't do any customising of figures or at least haven't as yet, but I do try and choose my figures carefully and paint them where necessary. I have a teenage spotter which is meant to represent me as I was back in the 80s, painted in appropriate colours. I generally go for figures that aren't moving, as running or cycling figures look a bit daft to my eyes. I am also planning a 1980s-style PW gang, with suitably styled hi-viz bibs of the time (which often seemed to be worn around the waist), but that's a little further down the line at the moment (sorry, couldn't resist the pun).

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

If you can source a figure of a bloke in a kilt, you can replicate Prince Charles waiting for the sleeper while plainclothes police hold back the great unwashed from the platform entrance. Happened to me a couple of times coming back late!

The other scene I would like to see would be JK Rowling legging it out the back of the promotional train that came up for one of her book launches. Do you fancy doing the red-painted West Country class which was supposed to be Hogwarts Castle at the time?? :-)

• 4 weeks later...