Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Hi Dave,

I moved to Edinburgh towards the end of 1999 when LRT still had some Nationals in service and back then lived in Stockbridge before moving to the south side in Newington. They were always on route 13 Lochend to Blackhall at the time and also used to see them on the 49 and 36 service. Until the Darts replaced many of them. They seem to have finished in service in 2003 and one was painted yellow for the museum shuttle bus that did appear on Waverley bridge but that was in 2002. I did a quick search of Edinburgh Leyland Nationals and found this link below and it reminded me of the old Atlanteans that used to be in service although I by the time I really noticed them they were mainly used for driver training but the link had a couple of photos from 13th December 1985 with 2 of them on service 27 WFS260K and WFS 295K. This route is usually doubles so probably mostly has been over the years but on most routes something different does appear to the normal types from time to time so a National might have worked it at some point. Interesting to note that the last traditional stepped buses in Madder and White - Alexander bodied Royales from 96-98 - There are 2 versions o this model out just now one limited by Harburn Hobbies have started to dissappear but the modern fleet is starting to revert to the traditional colours in a modern style instead of the white Harlequins livery. Just hope some models come out in that soon.

http://www.jim.nisbet.dsl.pipex.com/buses/buses.htm

Hope that is of some help.

Mark

Hi Dave,

I moved to Edinburgh towards the end of 1999 when LRT still had some Nationals in service and back then lived in Stockbridge before moving to the south side in Newington. They were always on route 13 Lochend to Blackhall at the time and also used to see them on the 49 and 36 service. Until the Darts replaced many of them. They seem to have finished in service in 2003 and one was painted yellow for the museum shuttle bus that did appear on Waverley bridge but that was in 2002. I did a quick search of Edinburgh Leyland Nationals and found this link below and it reminded me of the old Atlanteans that used to be in service although I by the time I really noticed them they were mainly used for driver training but the link had a couple of photos from 13th December 1985 with 2 of them on service 27 WFS260K and WFS 295K. This route is usually doubles so probably mostly has been over the years but on most routes something different does appear to the normal types from time to time so a National might have worked it at some point. Interesting to note that the last traditional stepped buses in Madder and White - Alexander bodied Royales from 96-98 - There are 2 versions o this model out just now one limited by Harburn Hobbies have started to dissappear but the modern fleet is starting to revert to the traditional colours in a modern style instead of the white Harlequins livery. Just hope some models come out in that soon.

http://www.jim.nisbe...buses/buses.htm

Hope that is of some help.

Mark

Mark, that's brilliant. Many, many thanks.

Not entirely convinced by the new livery as yet. It's quite smart but a bit plain, and I liked the Harlequins livery.

Cheers for now,

Dave

Hi folks,

Here as promised are some pics of the 150 showing the PH Designs etch in place. While not in the jim s-w league, it does I hope show the improvement that the etch makes to the power car. One day, I'll get round to replacing the motor. In the meantime, this will do. While inevitably not perfect, it's definitely worthwhile fitting the etchings IMHO.

This is the power car showing the side-on seats...

post-7247-127840843848_thumb.jpg

And this is a broadside view of the power car...

post-7247-127840847053_thumb.jpg

And a close-up...

post-7247-127840876772.jpg

And for comparison this is the dummy car...

post-7247-127840849627_thumb.jpg

And another close-up...

post-7247-127840884198_thumb.jpg

While I'm here, I thought I'd post a few more pics too.

27105 bathes in the sun at platform 13 awaiting its next duty...

post-7247-127840854922_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127840859131_thumb.jpg

And an HST ready to depart...

post-7247-127840861131_thumb.jpg

Work on the Strathclyde 107 is now nearing completion. Hope to post some pics of it soon. The Howes sound chip really is good, capturing that "rasp" as the unit pulls away.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 6

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting the pics of your 150, I think the etch does a pretty good job. My trains4U 150 should be on its way I might have to order one of Pete's etches.

Love the LE class 27 pics. cool.gif

Cheers Peter.

I don't often indulge in hyperbole and exaggerated praise, but the photo of 27105 above is quite simply the most realistic shot of a model I have ever seen. To me, the model and the photographic conditions are as close to reproducing real life as is possible. Impressive!

I don't often indulge in hyperbole and exaggerated praise, but the photo of 27105 above is quite simply the most realistic shot of a model I have ever seen. To me, the model and the photographic conditions are as close to reproducing real life as is possible. Impressive!

Agreed! Just crop out that brute on the left and thats it! Amazing.

Paul

Thanks guys!

You mean like this...

post-7247-12784294651_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Dave,

No- haven't been asleep! :mellow: have been pretty busy at work! That last pic of the "27" is truly amazing ;)

You certainly have an eye for a piccy!

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

Wow! Nice layout!! Although, I'm confused. In an issue of 1995 Railway Modeller it said your layout is 'N' but it looks '00' to me?? What is it?

Hi Jack,

That would have been another layout (I didn't start building Waverley West until 2003). I remember an 'N' gauge layout set in Princes St, perhaps that was the one you're thinking of? Waverley West is '00'.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi folks,

Thanks for the feedback. I have now just about finished the MR/Harburn Hobbies 107. It is basically finished except that I spotted a passenger with very obviously severed limbs visible through the carriage window, so I think with prospective passengers in mind it would be best to replace him. unsure.gif

Although a little expensive on decoders (one decoder for each trailer car plus the sound decoder), it's worth it, and look no blanked out power car either!

Here are some piccies of it...

post-7247-127877191992_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127877198042_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127877214159_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127877219897_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127877228348_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127877239973_thumb.jpg

post-7247-127877250296_thumb.jpg

I'm off to ponder my next project. The options are: painting the interiors and putting passengers in my Bachmann Mk2s, putting a bass reflex speaker in 37401, installing my new dummy point motors or painting and installing my new platform lights. Plus about 200 other projects. Well, alright then, maybe 300. Hmmm.... I guess it's better than having no projects in mind at all.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 4

Hi again folks,

Just thought I'd post a couple of videos showing the Howes chip/bass reflex speaker combination in the 107. Superb.

Please be patient with the first one, it does get going in the end! I just thought I'd show the door slam, whistle and guard's buzzer functions.

107 447 sets off for Glasgow...

And returns later in the day...

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 3

Hi Dave,

That 107 looks superb! The weathering is very effective and adds so much to the bright shiny model I have seen in the shop! Great videos as well - that sound chip is excellent and some nice functions on it too. My 2 108's will need to get fitted in the future after hearing that! I'm glad you still have so many projects planned as it will keep the new updates coming on here so we can all see your layout!

Thanks,

Mark

Hi Dave,

Pics and video brilliant,cool.gif the 107 looks spot on the only thing missing is all the smoke they used to spew out.biggrin.gif I am not sure if you are planning to couple it with your other units but if not I would be tempted to take off the NEM pocket and fit some Craftsman DMU pipework. I did it on my 108s and it looks pretty good.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter,

Thanks. You're right about the pipework. It's on the list. This one won't be coupled to other units, as at 3 cars plus another unit it would be too long to fit comfortably in the platforms normally used by DMUs. I can only really have 2 x 2-car DMUs coupled together. Loco-hauled trains get priority in the longer platforms. biggrin.gif

All my 108s need this detailing really. I remember some of your shots on your layout thread showing your 108 with bufferbeam detailing. Very nice indeed. I have still to go over to wholesale bufferbeam detailing, as I like to keep the flexibility of working couplings, but it really does make a big difference I think. Gradually I think I will introduce more and more of it, as my stock builds up and I can have, say, a large logo 47 for each direction.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I am in the middle of purchasing one of those 107s so great to see yours working.

Am very interested in the signals you are using. Are they fully operational? And would be great to see a photo of the signal panel for your layout if possible.

Cheers

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I am in the middle of purchasing one of those 107s so great to see yours working.

Am very interested in the signals you are using. Are they fully operational? And would be great to see a photo of the signal panel for your layout if possible.

Cheers

Stu

Hi Stu,

The signals are fully operational with working theatres and call-on signals. They were made by Roger Murray. I don't actually have a signal panel, as all the signals are controlled through the route setting function on my ZTC511. When I select a route, all the points and signals for that route are set automatically. In the future I'd like to install block detection and possibly computer control, possibly using a new control system but that's a project for the future for now.

PS The 107 is superb, highly recommended!

where did you get the people to put in the DMU?

The passengers are from the bulk Preiser packs (48 seated passengers in each I think). I get them from Gaugemaster. Being fully painted they're still not cheap (but they are a lot cheaper than the smaller packs proportionally), but they do save a lot of time! They do make a difference though I think and all my stock will eventually be fitted with them.

Hi folks,

Am now back from a wettish couple of weeks in North Wales, so modelling can now resume. Plenty of narrow gauge railways were visited though of course, along with the very scenic Cambrian Coast line, so I managed to avoid any withdrawal symptoms.

I did manage to get some modelling done while I was away. I almost completed a certain LBSCR E2 0-6-0 tank in a larger scale than I'm used to working with...

post-7247-128152186217_thumb.jpg

In the driver's seat is the youngest member of the family who is showing worrying symptoms of also having contracted Rail Enthusiasts' Disease.

I also (and this is the sad bit) worked on my 1986 timetable. I have the all-line timetable for 1986 plus the main working timetable for Edinburgh/Scotland covering the same period. I already have one for 1981-2 (without the working timetable bit at present), but I wanted one for 1986 too. I have still to finish transferring the working times to the timetable, but it is well on the way now (and so it should be at 19 pages and counting!).

Here is the first page to give you an idea of what it looks like...

post-7247-128152178867_thumb.jpg

Arrivals/departures in the same colour are through trains.

Having the working timetable has enabled me to add non-passenger workings as well as reporting codes, timing loads, etc. which adds realism to operations I think. Eventually I want to do one for 1989 too, but that will have to wait as I first need to forget how tedious, not to mention time-consuming, doing it can be at times. The big problem is that it means I will somehow have to fit a lot more stock onto the layout at any one time in order to operate the timetable accurately. Queue much racking of brain as to how I can fit in some storage sidings. They will have to be on a level below the layout itself, so some sort of spiral arrangement may be necessary.

The decision to go for 1986 has meant that I need a new HST in the original InterCity Executive livery. This has now entered the works, although progress so far has been limited to the interiors of the coaches. I'm respraying some spare blue/grey coaches I already had, so I'm currently wondering how best to do the silver window frames of the InterCity livery neatly. Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Better go and do some work I suppose. More updates to follow.

Cheers for now,

Dave

• Like 1