Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Those shots of the Princes St. Gardens are just so good Dave - I keep playing with the plans to see if there's any way I could...

move the whole of Waverley East a bit further along the room...

shorten the platforms and ...

would you beleive it a four track exit heading west?????

Doubt I could even come close to what you've achieved though!

Peter

Thanks Peter!

I'd strongly advise against trying to squeeze too much in. You'll regret it! I would really like to fit Waverley East in myself, but I don't think there's any way I could do it justice with the size of the layout as it is at the moment. The (thankfully relatively few) problem areas I have with derailments, etc. are all down to trying to cram an extra line or siding in.

Cheers

Dave

Dave, that is so true, and sound advice

I've lost track of how many times I have rearranged the throat in an  attempt to make it either more practical or aesthetically pleasing!

The last time I laid it out, and didn't even come close to getting it to scale, it used 46 different points in an eight foot board

It's a bit like climbing Everest  - I know it has to be done and it seems there is only one way to get to the top, the hard way!

ATB

Peter

Great pics Dave,

The depot area looks superb with all the locos on shed. Thought you only had the one class 27 but I can see two on shed. Love the class 24 on the test train too. 

Cheers Peter.

Great pics Dave,

The depot area looks superb with all the locos on shed. Thought you only had the one class 27 but I can see two on shed. Love the class 24 on the test train too. 

Cheers Peter.

Cheers Peter. Yep, two 27s - 27034 and 27105. I quite fancy a third too, to model a 70s G-E push-pull. They're lovely models.

• Like 1

Hi Dave, superb work on the concrete floor. Love the first photo of 37026, the floor looks great, it just seems to blend in to the whole feel of the inside of a TMD. I can see why you are pleased with the result, well done Sir, great modelling.

Nice variety of stock on shed. I bet at weekends hordes of enthusiasts descend on the depot in the hope of a look around?!!

Good to see 56013 is still hanging around!

I do like 97201, saw this photo the other day on Flickr:

8279702114_cf7e0be1c1.jpg97201 (ex 24061) Experiment by James DEMU, on Flickr

A bit early for my time period I think.

• Like 9

PS. What's happend to the rear bogie of 97201?

Kev, the problem has been diagnosed as a droopy bogie. How my 10-year old daughter will love that.

I had a problem putting the body back on, as the frame kept popping out. When I finally got the frame and body together, the bogie popped out. Pushing the bogie back in caused the body to pop out again. And so on. I thought I had solved the problem, but clearly not! Grrrr.

Edited by Waverley West

I think it must be the combination of backgrounds, angles, and depth of field that make these pics so compelling. You can almost feel the diesels rumbling

I was thinking the same thing. I have looked at a good percentage of the layouts on this (and other) forums. Some individual, some club. Some large or small. Some OO, some EM and some P4. And many of them are absolutely superb and detailed.

And yet I must say that this is usually Waverley West that I come back to time and again for inspiration and to see how certain things are done. There is certainly a 'something' that I cannot put my finger on that differentiates this from most others (though WW ISN'T the only one to manage to capture this 'something'- but it's very, very rare)