Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket MPD

Waverley West

Thanks Dave

I'm sure you are probably cheesed off with people keep on asking similar questions. I knew the colours you used, but was interested in the method.

Not at all Derek. It's very easy for information like that to get lost in a thread of 60 pages and I wouldn't expect anyone to read through every page in the vague hope that they might find the information they are looking for when they could just ask. I'm more than happy to answer any questions.

Cheers

Dave. 

Edited by Waverley West

I've just realised what's wrong with your layout Dave - the pics are brilliant, but you always get great light, whereas as Mal's pics show, the wether in Edinburgh is 'gey dreich' most of the time.

Now how to add that washed out grey feeling....

Yours ( with a smile!) 

Peter

• Like 1

I've just realised what's wrong with your layout Dave - the pics are brilliant, but you always get great light, whereas as Mal's pics show, the wether in Edinburgh is 'gey dreich' most of the time.

Yours ( with a smile!) 

Peter

Funnily enough, Peter, I had noticed exactly the same thing!!

There's plenty of grey cloud around here at the moment mind...

Of course you are looking at photo's that must be in the region of 30 years old and no matter how good the photographer, age will make them look artificially gloomy compared to modern cameras.

I was in Edinburgh one time and it was sunny. (It's where I used to spend many of my holidays as a kid, up with Grandparents)

I think I may have posted this before, however, it may be of interest to new followers.

Seeing a Class 25 arriving at the west end of Waverley station wasn't much of a surprise, however, when it proceeded to back down on to the Dundee service, usually a 27 turn, I was pleasantly surprised.

post-7898-0-85009600-1415962455_thumb.jpg

post-7898-0-41831800-1415962489_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 14

Dave,

I take it when you take those photo's, the train is actually running at speed and you just have to try and pan the camera around at the appropriate speed?

(if that's not a trade secret and you haven't been asked 200 times already)

I did something not too dis-similar with a brochure for work, but it involved a heavy commercial vehicle going into lane 2 of the M1 whilst I shot past in lane 1 to get the photo- it came out looking a similar effect.

Dave,

I take it when you take those photo's, the train is actually running at speed and you just have to try and pan the camera around at the appropriate speed?

(if that's not a trade secret and you haven't been asked 200 times already)

I did something not too dis-similar with a brochure for work, but it involved a heavy commercial vehicle going into lane 2 of the M1 whilst I shot past in lane 1 to get the photo- it came out looking a similar effect.

Yes, Derek, that's right. Shutter speed is usually around 1/20 - 1/25th of a second with a fairly slow moving train (despite the impression of high speed!).

Thanks Dave, I'm glad you liked the pic. It certainly was unusual to see those 20s at the time. It was early evening and I was just about to return to my hotel.

I've found a few pics of 27s on the Dundee service.

attachicon.gif27012 at Waverley.jpg

attachicon.gif27020 at Waverley.jpg

attachicon.gif27037 at Waverley.jpg

Mal

Mal

Those photos took me back in time. I spent quite a bit of time travelling between Edinburgh and Dundee in the eighties.  Any chance you can provide dates for any of the photos.  Would be really odd to think I might be on one of those trains.

Thanks

g45

Sorry, I didn't record the dates for those pics, although it woud be early 80s.

Here's another one for you, a 27 passing Haymarket shed with a Dundee - Edinburgh service.

attachicon.gifimg278.jpg

Brilliant, thanks again Mal. That's a pretty good reference photo of that signal which will come in very handy!

Interesting to see just 3 coaches on that service too.

Love the 25 on the Dundee service too!

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Premium

I notice there's a CK in the train and one of the earlier pics at waverley had a BFK.

Unusual to have 1st class on these services, but not unknown - maybe just down to what stock was available at the time. Great to see pics of these trains, bread and butter services for me in Kirkcaldy.

There's a great YouTube video of the last days of the 27s by jbg06003, lots of these trains usually with a 4 coach mix of mk1/mk2z.

• Like 1

Brilliant, thanks again Mal. That's a pretty good reference photo of that signal which will come in very handy!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave - here is the other side of that signal, taken from the stump of the embankment that used to take the Caledonian branch over the NB line, sorry about the size of the scan, I can get you a bigger one if it is any use.

post-188-0-45037500-1416166257.jpg

Jim

• Like 4

Yours ( with a smile!) 

Peter

Well here is a photo taken earlier this month on the east side of the station 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/15659198586/

also since you were looking for some photos of the east side anyway

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/15684511222/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/15682912955/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/15684496912

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/14898908352

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/14712674968

and a shot of the outer platform

https://www.flickr.com/photos/danim007/14712743357/in/set-72157644737938996

Edited by Danim

Hi Dave - here is the other side of that signal, taken from the stump of the embankment that used to take the Caledonian branch over the NB line, sorry about the size of the scan, I can get you a bigger one if it is any use.

attachicon.gifhaymarket472.jpg

Jim

Hi Jim,

That's brilliant, many thanks. A bigger version would be even better too! Never satisfied, am I?

Cheers

Dave

I notice there's a CK in the train and one of the earlier pics at waverley had a BFK.

Unusual to have 1st class on these services, but not unknown - maybe just down to what stock was available at the time. Great to see pics of these trains, bread and butter services for me in Kirkcaldy.

There's a great YouTube video of the last days of the 27s by jbg06003, lots of these trains usually with a 4 coach mix of mk1/mk2z.

Thanks keefer, my ever-watchful coach guru! Duly noted.

Cheers

Dave

• Like 1

Cheers

Dave

After checking my spotting book, I can confirm that the loco is 27018. The date was 11.6.82, which I believe may have been a Sunday, possibly accounting for only 3 coaches.

On shed at Haymarket on that day was 26004

post-7898-0-77981200-1416223537_thumb.jpg

Mal

• Like 6

Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of my progress on the depot, as it's starting to look a bit different now at last.

I have glued down the concrete areas and primed them ready for painting. I actually quite like them as they are (Halfords grey primer rubbed down with fine emergy cloth), but I think I can get a better look using Woodland Scenics paints. So these areas are now ready for painting.

I have also been ballasting in the depot area. Most of this has now been finished, but it needs a bit of tidying up, especially around points and the edges where it butts up against the concrete. 

This is the state of play at the moment. Unfortunately, poor works management has led to a pile-up on the main line outside the depot as a result of materials being left lying on the track. Words are to be had with the person responsible, as no trains can run at the moment. 

post-7247-0-29243400-1416304004_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-81037500-1416304020_thumb.jpg

post-7247-0-13440000-1416304271_thumb.jpg

The next jobs will be painting the concrete proper and finishing off the trackwork around the depot, including weathering of course.

The works manager has obviously been spoken to as well, as there's a line-up of stock ready to be released from the works, including Test Car 6 and the first 101 DMU. A Heljan 47 has had attention to a bogie (slipping of the carden shaft - this has now been glued in with SuperGlue).

Following my success with the sound in 58050, BR blue 56013 has had a bass enhanced speaker fitted and 31174 has had buffer beam detailing fitted.

97201 is now ready for the final touches too, including fitting of a sound chip and bass enhanced speaker.

Next to enter the works will probably be another 101, but there has long been a general shortage of bog-standard Blue 47s on the layout, leading to a crisis whenever 47510 is in the works, so I have been hatching a plan to cascade bodies and chassis from less frequently used 47s to add to my BR Blue 47 fleet as I have quite a few spare bodies. Some research has led to 47553, 47466 and 47004 being possible new additions at the moment.

I also have a body for 47076 City of Truro, which because of the printed nameplate cannot really be renamed without extensive work, so this might appear too, despite meaning that it would be well away from its normal stamping ground. 

Hope to be back soon with some more piccies.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Waverley West
  • Like 17

Hi Dave,

The depot area is looking great.

If you have any pics of fitting the speaker to the class 56 I would be interested as I might try and fit sound to my blue one at some point. 47004 would be a good choice I think it had ploughs and still had a working boiler until quite late. I have seen pics of Western region class 47s in Scotland so 076 would be fine and add a nice bit of variety.

Sounds like you have a very full workbench, looking forwards to the 101.

Cheers Peter.