Carronvale T&RSMD

G-Mac

Falkirk show over for another year, I must say though what a show, it was very enjoyable. Carronvale performed brilliantly again on Sunday with no problems so the tool kit remained firmly shut :D. Here are some pics from the Falkirk show. More will follow over the next week or so.

post-7665-1259530412068_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12595304250809_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12595304408885_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12595304576477_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12595304770876_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12595304926961_thumb.jpg

Great layout - the lights give great atmosphere.

Stood and watched it for quite a while at Falkirk Sunday afternoon - very impressive close up.

The cameo scene underneath is a great idea - I bet the wee kids love that - down at their level.

Falkirk was a great show by the way - glad I went. Loads of good second hand and trade support and plenty of nice layouts. If I hadn't spent the kids Christmas money at Warley last weekend I would have spent it yesterday. Next year I will save myself the big trip South.

Sorry to hijack your thread - but your topic has thousands of views - the exhibition thread had only a few and deserved more publicity.

Stuart

Great layout - the lights give great atmosphere.

Stood and watched it for quite a while at Falkirk Sunday afternoon - very impressive close up.

The cameo scene underneath is a great idea - I bet the wee kids love that - down at their level.

Falkirk was a great show by the way - glad I went. Loads of good second hand and trade support and plenty of nice layouts. If I hadn't spent the kids Christmas money at Warley last weekend I would have spent it yesterday. Next year I will save myself the big trip South.

Sorry to hijack your thread - but your topic has thousands of views - the exhibition thread had only a few and deserved more publicity.

Stuart

Thanks very much for the positive comments. Glad you enjoyed the layout and the show. I will put some more pics up tomorrow of Carronvale at the show. Work on Carronvale will resume shortly and I will keep the thread posted with the progress.

Greig

Cracking progress! I'm glad the exhibition went well, but then that probably down to the prep work you put in!

I was curious how the shunting cameo would work out. But having seen that last pic (7.jpg) all is clear!! Excellent layout, I hope to see it for real one day.

Guy

Cracking progress! I'm glad the exhibition went well, but then that probably down to the prep work you put in!

I was curious how the shunting cameo would work out. But having seen that last pic (7.jpg) all is clear!! Excellent layout, I hope to see it for real one day.

Guy

Thanks for the comment. There will be more exhibition pics appearing over the next while when i find the time to upload them,

Greig

Found some spare time so here is a few more exhibition pics. For those who are interested in the behind the scenes goings on I will stick up a run of pics over the next few days of behind the scenes of Carronvale. Comments are welcomed.

post-7665-12600145087845_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12600145245452_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12600145374542_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12600145505024_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12600145698647_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12600145860452_thumb.jpg

Here are the behind the scenes pics of the layout. Showing the low level storage bridge thingy. Also the control panel and views of the traverser and fiddle yard. Comments are welcome.

The low level storage bridge thingy, it is a proper suspension bridge suspended by the chains.

post-7665-12602953386791_thumb.jpg

Blue Class 08 emerges from the gloom on the low level tracks with the engineers train.

post-7665-12602953533525_thumb.jpg

Note the programming track on the backscene. The DRS 66 has just left the traverser, next out is EWS 08 with the fuel tanks.

post-7665-1260295369562_thumb.jpg

Some of the line up that visited Carronvale on the Sunday.

post-7665-12602954254494_thumb.jpg

DRS 66 moves off fuelling and down the sheds.

post-7665-12602954488478_thumb.jpg

I havn't in the past been very interested in layouts with your theme, but you have obviously got a group with some great abilities to imagine what will be eye-catching and engrossing. As an example, the action in the low level at right-angles with the fold-up extension out of the back is brilliant and I fully expect to start seeing other layouts with variations on the theme.

And there lies the rub! I could chicken out and keep quiet, but any engineer who sees those bridge girders is going to ask himself why they extend so far either side of the cutting. After carefully looking and thinking, I would suggest there is no obvious logical explanation. Real bridges are built to minimum span to do the job: your's are IMHO one complete bay too long at each end. The girder truss ends should rest on small bearings (castings), themselves on surprisingly small stone or concrete blocks. (There was a thread on this in the previous RMweb, but I havn't found it yet.) If the block was only 2 foot long (along the direction of the bridge), that's only 8mm on the model, and it would be perched right on or very near the edge of the cutting.

So please be aware that, for some people, the enjoyment of your fine modelling, will be tempered by a thought "oh no, that's seriously not right".

Cheers

I havn't in the past been very interested in layouts with your theme, but you have obviously got a group with some great abilities to imagine what will be eye-catching and engrossing. As an example, the action in the low level at right-angles with the fold-up extension out of the back is brilliant and I fully expect to start seeing other layouts with variations on the theme.

And there lies the rub! I could chicken out and keep quiet, but any engineer who sees those bridge girders is going to ask himself why they extend so far either side of the cutting. After carefully looking and thinking, I would suggest there is no obvious logical explanation. Real bridges are built to minimum span to do the job: your's are IMHO one complete bay too long at each end. The girder truss ends should rest on small bearings (castings), themselves on surprisingly small stone or concrete blocks. (There was a thread on this in the previous RMweb, but I havn't found it yet.) If the block was only 2 foot long (along the direction of the bridge), that's only 8mm on the model, and it would be perched right on or very near the edge of the cutting.

So please be aware that, for some people, the enjoyment of your fine modelling, will be tempered by a thought "oh no, that's seriously not right".

Cheers

Thanks for the comment. I didn't give the over hang on the bridges much thought due to the rush to get the layout looking respectable for the Falkirk show. Unfortunately the bridges are a tad to bedded in with plastic weld and other glues for it to be worth digging them out and changing them as well as risking damage to surrounding areas of the layout.

There is now time over the following months though to finish the layout including scratch building the rest of the theme park, back scenes, low relief buildings and cameos along the raised back shelf of the layout. The walling will be installed and weathered. Then it will be time to add all the small details that really make the layout come to life and give Carronvale a realistic atmosphere. This thread will be regularly updated with the progress of the layout including many pictures as things develop. As I have mentioned many times previous comments are welcome.

Greig

Very nice layout! I have been following this thread for a while now and the layout has certainly evolved! All involved should be highly commended.

Regards,

Alex

Thanks for the positive comments Alex, building work should start again shortly.

Greig

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I would post an update as I haven't posted in a while. Carronvale is still in storage at the moment, I would have hoped to have had it erected and work started again but due to circumstances e.g. the snow, this has not been possible. Work on Carronvale shall start in the new year, and I shall keep you posted on the updates.

As always comments and questions are always welcome.

Greig

Falkirk MRC

• 2 weeks later...

Carronvale has found its feet again. After a long winter in storage Carronvale was finally reassembled last night. Some work was carried out on the legs before it was put up so that the legs fold up underneath the baseboards for transportation in future. Over the next week the remainder of the adjustable feet will be fitted to the layout. Once assembled I didn't get a chance to actually put a loco on to the track to test the layout but I powered up Carronvale anyway and all the lighting came on suggesting all systems go. Regular updates will follow shortly with hopefully a steady stream of photos now that work has begun again.

Greig

One of the small issues at the show is that I learned I had sited the crane in the wrong place (ooops), only by 1mm but it was enough to snag any longer wheelbase stock accessing the back road of the rear shed. This meant that there was only a certain amount of stock able to access that shed road e.g. a class 08. Last night we set about resolving it. The crane was very carefully prised off the plaster base, the holes for the lighting wires re drilled and then everything stuck back down. The old holes will be plastered over and painted. Here are some pics of the crane relocation process.

post-7665-12640038553257_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12640038742484_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12640039158829_thumb.jpg

Great layout, inspirational stuff!

Can i ask you...

1) When weathering the ballast with sleeper grime, did you dilute it? If so, what with?

Or does the spray version give it a good coverage?

2) Have you any reference material for the plaster, water, pva mix you used for thd concrete? I like the look of it and if its easy enough i might use it on my layout. Also, when using it between rails what do you use to make sure theres a gap for the wheels?

Regards

Great layout, inspirational stuff!

Can i ask you...

1) When weathering the ballast with sleeper grime, did you dilute it? If so, what with?

Or does the spray version give it a good coverage?

2) Have you any reference material for the plaster, water, pva mix you used for thd concrete? I like the look of it and if its easy enough i might use it on my layout. Also, when using it between rails what do you use to make sure theres a gap for the wheels?

Regards

Thanks for the comment.

To colour the ballast sleeper grime spray was used. I found that it gave very good coverage without the need for more than one coat.

I shall check the next time I'm at the club which plaster we used for the concrete and get back to you. When mixing the plaster it is a bit of trial and error but add water till the mix is a thick but spreadable consistency. Add a small amount of pva glue into the mix. This adds a bit of flexibility to the dried plaster but be careful not to put too much in because this can result in cracking when the plaster is drying.

When spreading the plaster-mix onto the rails I spread it right across the track to begin with. I then used an old wagon with largish wheel flanges and ran it along the track. This created the desired grooves. When the plaster has dried these grooves where then tidied up and any excess plaster removed with a craft knife. The surface was sanded smooth.

Hope this helps.

Greig

Thanks for the comment.

To colour the ballast sleeper grime spray was used. I found that it gave very good coverage without the need for more than one coat.

I shall check the next time I'm at the club which plaster we used for the concrete and get back to you. When mixing the plaster it is a bit of trial and error but add water till the mix is a thick but spreadable consistency. Add a small amount of pva glue into the mix. This adds a bit of flexibility to the dried plaster but be careful not to put too much in because this can result in cracking when the plaster is drying.

When spreading the plaster-mix onto the rails I spread it right across the track to begin with. I then used an old wagon with largish wheel flanges and ran it along the track. This created the desired grooves. When the plaster has dried these grooves where then tidied up and any excess plaster removed with a craft knife. The surface was sanded smooth.

Hope this helps.

Greig

Thats great thanks :D

I might give the plaster trick a try...providing its not too expensive!

• 2 weeks later...

More plaster! This time to smooth over the deep ditches created from the ballast shoulders which are not prototypical for a yard like Carronvale. When finished it will crate a flatter ground surface with no ballast shoulders. All the buildings on the layout are now undergoing modifications to LED lighting instead of grain of wheat bulbs.

Greig

post-7665-12654046461294_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12654046777841_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12654048330024_thumb.jpg

post-7665-12654048960777_thumb.jpg

Archived