December 2009

PMP

• RMweb Premium

I was more impressed by the presentation of the DVD this year than previous year. The Breton layout was by far the strongest of the bunch in my opinion, with the others just not ticking the boxes for me. The tribute to Cyril Freezer was nicely done.

Pity they couldn't get the image of Ken Payne pasted over a view of his layout in the same proportion...

See page 873, for a moment I thought he had gone back into 4mm.

I wonder if RM has a first in any model railway mag, the three Prize Winners at Rail-Ex Taunton

are all couples pictured together (pity the males attire lets down the ladies :) ). I don't ever recall that before.

That is the pictures in a mag, not necessarily three couple winning prizes, although.....

So many layouts in one issue, every month, wasn't like that in my day m'lad :(

Penlan

• RMweb Gold

(pity the males attire lets down the ladies :) ). I don't ever recall that before

I don't know. My wife always looks a lot better than me - nothing out of the ordinary there :D

Apologies to the feint hearted but my ugly mug appears twice in this issue.

Jerry (currently at home nursing man flu and feeling sorry for myself)

• RMweb Gold

(pity the males attire lets down the ladies :) ). I don't ever recall that before

I don't know. My wife always looks a lot better than me - nothing out of the ordinary there :D

Apologies to the feint hearted but my ugly mug appears twice in this issue.

Jerry (currently at home nursing man flu and feeling sorry for myself)

Ah, but the layout looked nice!!

I've been buying the Modeller since Jan 1976 and haven't missed one but I'm struggling to find too many positives for the old girl when compared with Model Rail and the Hornby mag.

It's still worth buying for the ads but if that's the only redeeming feature then maybe it's a poor reflection on my tastes!

I've been buying the Modeller since Jan 1976 and haven't missed one but I'm struggling to find too many positives for the old girl when compared with Model Rail and the Hornby mag.

It's still worth buying for the ads but if that's the only redeeming feature then maybe it's a poor reflection on my tastes!

Have to admit I only baught mine this month as i wanted to see what was on and had nothing else to read. I flicked through it last night and unfortunatly nothing really stopped me in my tracks, apart from the Heljan advert!

Shall have another read through today if time allows.

In all fairness, I think that Steve Flint is doing an excellent job as Editor of RM-the balance of articles of course, ahs to be maintained as in any magazine but I feel that his efforts are paying off.

Totally with you - presentation wise the magazine has improved enormously - being a photographer Steve is a visual person and that has really paid off B)

I'm also a long standing Railway Modeller fan and although one of it's charms is that it has little changed in design and content structure for the past few decades I too think that Steve Flint has started to brush a few of the cobwebs out of the mustier corners. No doubt as he gets comfortable on the Editor's chair he'll make more of a mark - judging by previous tenancies he's got a few decades himself, so there's no rush!

There's a rare opportunity for a side by side comparison between RM and MR this month, since both do an extended review/build on the new Metcalfe kit. Controversially, RM avoids colouring the edges of the card in black marker while MR exceeds the brief by planting gardens, fences and greenhouses in the final shot of an article purporting to be a 'review', which might confuse people buying the kit on the strength of it. Other than that, both articles take a pop at Mr Metcalfe insisting on rolling his own chimneys (so they did read the instructions!) and while I found the photo content of RM clearer in showing key points of the build, I preferred the shots set against the cutting mat used in MR as all that shiny white paper does glare a bit.... (not a problem that MR has at present B)).

As to the layouts, well Loch Oran is just superb. Not being a 2mm modeller myself I 'appreciate' N gauge but do find some of the compromises stick out a bit. On this layout I can't even see any compromises - it's a fantastic piece of modelling.

In all fairness, I think that Steve Flint is doing an excellent job as Editor of RM-the balance of articles of course, ahs to be maintained as in any magazine but I feel that his efforts are paying off.

I totally agree with you modeller is getting better with Steve at the helm but i will give you my opinion that i believe there

is too many magazines for our hobby.

This is only my opinion?

Hugh

Another excellent edition. Both November and December have been graced by the exceptional Highbury Colliery. If you are looking for where boundaries are being pushed in the hobby at the moment, then 2mm FS must surely be it (and no - not my scale - I model 009). The true to life appearance of the 7F is quite extraordinary.

Julian

As a long term stay away from the Modeller, I must say that it is much improved in it's latest incarnation. Well done to all concerned. I have bought the last two issues; November on the strength of that stunning "Hospital Gates" layout and December's on the strength of the DVD. Which ironically, I have yet to watch!

Good work :)

Archived