Class 73 and Peco code 75 rail

NSE DAZ

Hi all,

I am after some advice with regards to the Hornby class 73, all my track work is code 75 concrete sleeper the trouble I am having with my new class 73 is that the wheel flange keep grounding out on the sleepers :O is this because they are the old style Lima pizza cutter wheels?

Has any one else experienced this trouble? and if so how did you rectify this (I am guessing wheel replacements?)

Many thanks for your advice,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Ultrascale wheels will offer an instant solution - you'll just need a bit of extra weight to compensate for the lack of traction tyres.

Hi James,

Looks like the way forward ;) Ultrascale.

Many thanks for the advice,

All the best Darren NSE DAZ

Cheaper and quicker method is to use Black Beetle wheels.

Dave

The problem with the Hornby 73 is that it has 2.5mm diameter axles, and most 4mm coach wheels use 2mm diameter axles. I've never seen a set of Black Beetle wheels with anything other than 2mm axles. On my 73 I used an Alan Gibson conversion pack - they don't do one for OO, so I used the EM pack and set the wheels to OO standards. The fact that there's a bit of axle projecting beyond the wheels doesn't show behind the sideframes.

The Gibson wheels came in about a week, which is a lot quicker than Ultrascale.

Order now, Ultrascales are super - but this is quite a long delay for delivery (at least 3 months).

But I'm surprised you're having problems with PECO code 75, the new Hornby wheels are much finer than the old LIMA ones.

I can run a Hornby/LIma class 59 (which I guess uses the same wheel-sets) through C&L with little knocking, PECO code no problem.

More of a worry if the new Peco concrete code 75 has finer tolerances?

• 3 weeks later...

Order now, Ultrascales are super - but this is quite a long delay for delivery (at least 3 months).

But I'm surprised you're having problems with PECO code 75, the new Hornby wheels are much finer than the old LIMA ones.

I can run a Hornby/LIma class 59 (which I guess uses the same wheel-sets) through C&L with little knocking, PECO code no problem.

Chris we have noticed this on Airthrey Park (also using code 75.) It appears that although they 'look' finer than Lima and are indeed much finer than EARLY Lima wheels the Hornby ones on ex Lima products are far from NMRA standard flange depths. The newer Hornby 121, 101 etc are similarly affected.

Might have a word with Mr Kohler at Glasgow about this.

• RMweb Gold

I've found that when testing out newly-ballasted track I need to use my two class 73s for this, both of which have the later Hornby chassis. One has traction tyres and the other doesn't. If I use my steamers, or class 31 or 33 diesels, they will all pass the track as fit for use but subsequently the class 73s give all sorts of problems which need a second, more thorough going over to remove any stray bits of ballast etc. This implies the 73s have slightly deeper flanges than my other stock, though not as deep as the original Lima ones. All my trackwork is Peco code 75.

Not all Lima has flanges too coarse for code 75.

Some of my Lima (the newer stuff I guess) runs fine while some others bottom out on the sleepers.

All of my I/C Swallow Mk3's used to bottom out but my GNER & Mainline Mk3's were fine. All the Lima 31's I've tried so far have been ok.

I didn't realise Hornby had used THAT much of the old Lima tooling?

Archived