Flattening brass sides

rovex

Having once again bought something on ebay and not got what I expected. Does anyone have any hints about flattening brass coach sides?

If I tell you that I bought this mallard models kit (well several of them as a job lot) only to find that some had already been started and others had bits missing. The incomplete ones I'll resell with a health warning for those who have the spares. The strted ones I might try and finish. One however has a warped side (not kinked but bent.

Apart from taking it apart with a soldering iron so I can lay the side flat does anyone have any idea how I can get the bend out?

Thanks in adavnce guys I know you won't let me down.

Rovex

Sorry to hear that what you brought was not what you expected, its a bit dissapointing when that happens.I will be looking at the replies as I have a set of Comet coach sides which arrived a bit bent from the same web site, thought I would just have to discard them. Hopefully when you relist them with a decent description and photo you will get your money back, in my experience single items tend to sell for more than they would if sold as part of a group of items

I recently took a risk on a GWR Star/Saint loco body and ended up with a box of spare parts from different makers. I dont know what was worse, the quality of the items or my hunch being wrong! Having said that the same week I got 2 stonking bargins so what I paid for all 3 items was well below my maximum bids on the 2 good ones.

Rovex, you could try a set of bending bars. Mine are made by GW Models. I used them to flatten the tumblehome provided by Comet on a pair of coach sides to a more accurate profile. It is a good idea to use a couple of pieces of thickish card placed between the steel bar and the brass - the card used by Wild Swan for their envelopes is ideal. Place the brass which needs flattening between the pieces of card in the bending bars and slowly tighten the wingnuts, then loosen and tighten again.

Good luck!

Chris

Edited to correct typo!

I cannot speak for coach sides, but my advice with any brass slightly out of shape would be to unsolder it first. The shape could be due to bad construction and soldering, perhaps with too much heat being used and the contracting cooling forces putting it out of shape.

If it has folds then I know of no good way to remove them. but if it is only a slight curve you may be able to rectify it by rolling in the opposite direction. But this could easily leave you with and S shape.

eBay is a great place to pick up others misguided efforts at kit building and there are sometimes good bargains to be had. The dishonesty of some of the sellers though is very annoying. Too many "as new" kits turn-up with parts removed and missing, and that is just fine if you are pre-warned.

Hi

Which way is the bend...end to end or top to bottom? If it's end to end (banana) then some L angle (available in various widths from Eileens) soldered on the top and bottom of the coach side should solve the problem. I've never seen a coach side curled top to bottom, but there's always a first time for everythingblink.gif

cheers

Mike

In my experience the only way to flatten bent brass is with a hammer! I know it sounds drastic but it works. You need a good solid flat surface, preferable steel and, with a good quality hammer that has a smooth face, gently tap the brass into shape. Start gently as it will depend on the thickness and hardness of the brass and the weight of the hammer, and your muscle power! What you don't want to do is 'spread' the brass just flatten it back in to shape. Don't worry too much about marks on the brass you can rub them out later with wet and dry when it is flat.

Oh! forgot to say desolder everything first and clean up before hitting it with a hammer!!

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Regards

Sandy

Archived