Hornby February 2011 New Releases

exet1095

• RMweb Premium

That clapped out old Triang bogie van in Pullman colours really is appalling!!

As for the 2011 catalogue changes, really cannot see why the 56 has changed ID and am a bit miffed that R3016 is now early crest, means a removing and re-cresting job when (or more likely if) it ever turns up.

Looks like another lean month for new releases, someone really needs to give the Chinese factories a firm kick up the jacksi as this is now getting beyond ridiculous.

• RMweb Premium

I also noticed that the Merchant Navy does not have a fixed wheel under the cab (name escapes me at the time!)... I thought Hornby stopped making them as such?

It is the rebuilt Battle of Britain/West Country locos that have the fixed rear truck and flangeless wheel, the Merchant Navy is an older model and still has the separate wheel arrangement.

• RMweb Gold

That clapped out old Triang bogie van in Pullman colours really is appalling!!

I think it is supposed to represent S2464, repainted in Pullman livery in 1962, then kept under wraps until its intended journey took place in early 1965 - conveying Churchill's coffin to his interment. Such models will resonate with a % of the modelling population, so as the tools for this van have paid for themselves decades ago, it is a low-risk offering.

• 4 weeks later...

2010 Catchup http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/27580-Hornby-2011-announcements/

With several items announced 12 months ago over-running Hornby have confirmed the following anticipated delivery dates.

R2967 BR “Lamport & Holtâ€, Merchant Navy: February

R2966 BR “Brown Jackâ€, Class A3: April

R2921 BR “Thorpe Hallâ€, Class B17/1: March

R2922 BR “Grimsby Townâ€, Class B17/2: March

R2920 LNER “Sandringhamâ€, Class B17/1: May

R2965 LNER “Silver Linkâ€, Class A4: February

R2848 GWR “Tintagel Castleâ€, Castle Class: March

R2927 BR “Pugâ€, 0-4-0: February

Barry J. Freeman – “Rare Birdâ€: February

R2955 Virgin Charter Relief Train: February

R2953 Flying Scotsman USA 1969: February

BR / NSE 4-VEP: April

R2963 Regional Railways Class 31: May

R2977XS BR Class 08: February

R2900XS Railfreight Class 31: February

R2962 Railfreight “Oystermouthâ€, Class 56: February

R4451 Pullman SR Bogie Baggage Car: March

R6469/70/71 OTA Timber wagon: March

R6466/67/68 OTA Timber wagon: March

R6484/R6485 KFA Container wagons: Mar/April

R6487 Yeoman PGA PR12130: March

So we are now at the end of February and still no 'Pretendolino' (EWS Class 90/Mk3b DVT) Train Pack.

I know it wasn't listed on the February 2011 New Releases newsletter but I was very much waiting in hope/anticipation.

Did all the items that were listed on it appear?

PS The display shelves at Modelzone Holborn are currently looking 'rather bare' as far as Hornby locomotives are concerned.

2010 Catchup

Did all the items that were listed on it appear?

Your link was to the 2011 announcements. They're not available yet.

Releases "indicated" for February and culled from your quoted list:

• R2967 BR “Lamport & Holtâ€, Merchant Navy: February
    R2965 LNER “Silver Linkâ€, Class A4: February
  • R2927 BR “Pugâ€, 0-4-0: February
    Barry J. Freeman – “Rare Birdâ€: February
    R2955 Virgin Charter Relief Train: February
    R2953 Flying Scotsman USA 1969: February
    R2977XS BR Class 08: February
    R2900XS Railfreight Class 31: February
    R2962 Railfreight “Oystermouthâ€, Class 56: February

February New Releases per Hornby

• R2967 BR 4-6-2 ‘Lamport & Holt Line’ Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class - Late BR
    R2953 FLYING SCOTSMAN USA TOUR 1969 TRAIN PACK
    R2956 GWR 4-2-2 175 DEAN SINGLE TRAIN PACK - LIMITED EDITION 1000
    R2949/X ARRIVA CROSS COUNTRY HIGH SPEED TRAIN
  • R2927 BR (EX-LMS) 0-4-0ST 0F ‘PUG’ CLASS ‘611’
    R4451 Pullman SR Bogie Luggage Van

There's not a lot of overlap in the two lists.

I think it is supposed to represent S2464, repainted in Pullman livery in 1962, then kept under wraps until its intended journey took place in early 1965 - conveying Churchill's coffin to his interment. Such models will resonate with a % of the modelling population, so as the tools for this van have paid for themselves decades ago, it is a low-risk offering.

Having seen the model, both the brown and the cream on the van are a totally different colour to those used on Hornby Pullman carriages - should it be like this, or should they match Pullman colours? I appreciate it is an old moulding, but that shouldn't affect the colours used.

The Hornby SR pulman luggage van is from the 1960's , and is the old Triang model that my Dad has.

You only have to look at the hooks and body detail to see that it is very old , bit of a cop out on Hornbys part this one :(

Pity they don't do the Westcountry to go with it , and how would it be used on a layout ?

Darren

• RMweb Premium

Pity they don't do the Westcountry to go with it , and how would it be used on a layout ?

Darren

Assuming you mean BB 34051 "Winston Churchill", they did. It was an NRM linked special amongst the first batch of BB/WCs Hornby produced.

Ironically its the combination of loco and tender I want and has not been produced as a separate model since - streamlined with 4500 gallon tender and BR late crest - that I did not buy when the two versions were still available because Hornby added the missing headlights to the insides of the smoke deflectors to later models and I assumed what I wanted would follow.

Having seen the model, both the brown and the cream on the van are a totally different colour to those used on Hornby Pullman carriages - should it be like this, or should they match Pullman colours? I appreciate it is an old moulding, but that shouldn't affect the colours used.

In answer to my own question, I've just found a colour picture of the train on the Southern e-group website (http://www.semgonlin...n-church_1.html) which seems to show that the colours used on the baggage car were different to those on the Pullmans. The B&W picture below that also appears to show different shades.

Also the 2 B&W pictures on The Railway Magazine article on the train (http://www.semgonlin...RlyMag/WCLJ.pdf) again seem to show a different shade/colour from the Pullmans. So presumably the Hornby model is accurate.

• 4 months later...

In case you didn't know the Dean Single in the R2956 train pack represents the Achilles class from 3031 (Achilles) onwards. It is not correct for 3012 (Great Western) which has its rear wheel springing below the footplate not above. So you may want to renumber/rename this while upgrading the loco ;)

Archived