Porth Penrhyn

trains12

Hi all

Well thanks to Jamie I am getting back into the swing of things again. Below are some more shots taken at the show in May. Most are by Jamie and show off the layout better than it is. enjoy them.

Peter

post-6915-127627117131.jpg

post-6915-127627121417.jpg

post-6915-127627124806.jpg

post-6915-127627136601.jpg

post-6915-127627141787.jpg

post-6915-127627227012.jpg

post-6915-127627234402.jpg

• Like 3

That's the 'Douglas' kit, the second GEM 009 kit, introduced around 1970. Basically it's an Andrew Barclay industrial with a filled-in back to the cab, added by the Talyllyn when they aquired the loco in the 1950s. It runs on the old Arnold 0-4-0T chassis, but it can be a bit back heavy. Taking off the TR additions (which makes it more like the standard Barclay design) helps with the balance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Peter

Those Photos came out Great at the Porthmadog Show....! Haha... Any more to Upload, I remember taking more than Six...! Haha, Are there any of the Show to upload, as it looked great with all the Background work and Scenery finished.

Jamie

Hi All

Well here are some more shots of the layout at the show. Will have to convert some more of the photographs so that they can be placed on the web. The Penrhyn Soc. has show an interest in the layout and if they hold an openday they may have if room permits.

Peter

post-6915-127720079181.jpg

post-6915-127720101691.jpg

post-6915-127720106209.jpg

post-6915-127720112497.jpg

post-6915-127720118439.jpg

post-6915-127720126803.jpg

post-6915-127720132677.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Peter

Forgot about this day back last year at Porthmadog...

Love th all the photos mate, they all came out quiet good, Nice to see the New House at the far end of the layout, as anyone noticed the new addition compared to other photos of this layout taken previously.

Love this layout shame it doesnt get out more...?

Jamie

• 7 months later...

Hi All

On Easter Saturday I am having a bit of an open day down at the unit in Nantlle. Anyone in the area are welcome to call and see use, will have a couple of the layouts either part up or fully up and working. Great Tunsley Dale for one part up Will be open form 10.30am till about 3.30pmHave a cup of tea or coffee and talk about railways. All welcome. Contact me for further details via PM

Peter

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter

Are there any advancement on this layout to, I like this one being Dual Gauge... and what show it will be at next, as I don’t get to see you so much now days...?

Hope you are well...

Regards

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter,

Just caught up with theis topic again after a long while. The layout is looking super, developing very nicely.

I have a question about the prototype, that hasnt occured to me before:

What was the function of the lock-gates? Was this the start of a canal, and if so where did it go?

Many thanks for any information that anyone can give!

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Peter.

It would be nice to see this layout working again. We last saw this at Prothmadog a few years ago before we started modelling. Just happened to be in Porthmadog and popped in for a look.

Ray.

Hi Ray

We should make this a club project in getting the narrow gauge trak work up and running as well as making the Penrhyn engines made and the rest of the slate wagon kits.

Peter

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Peter

Got to say mate, I went down to Porth Penrhyn with my family this last weekend, and I have only seen the Layout first prior to seeing it in real... You have this layout to a 'T', excellent work on this layout, just like the real area...

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter

Any Idea about when the N-Gauge Track will be relayed... it would be nice to see the OO9 side working along side the OO-Gauge.

Hope Wendy and the Bertie are OK...

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jamie

It was Ray who wanted to start on the relaying of the track last July but since then he has done nothing about it. He dose not seam to want to come to the club not having seen him there since earl this year.

It will have to be done some time or else I will scrap the layout and use the room for another layout that I have in mind.

Peter

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Baldwin30762

Nothing has been done on the layout for some considerable time. Just in storage, the narrow gauge track hasn't been done and the engine kits still waiting to be done.

Have been thinking about selling it or scrapping it off.

Peter

Hi Baldwin

Sorry I have not got back to you but have been finishing the Layout Bridge of Muir for the show. First of all i did not get your early PM don't know what happened to it. A few years ago Penrhyn Castle said they would be interested in the layout for their museum but nothing came of this. They already have one and so said that they did not have the room for a second layout.

The Heritage Railway were very keen at one stage and one of their members came to have a look at it and was keen to have it at some of their open days but then there was a change of management or something like that and they lost interest in it . So it is just taking up space at the unit and collecting dust. There was the article in Narrow Gauge World last year but even that did not arouse any interest in the layout,

No one in the club is interested in getting it going on the narrow gauge so it looks as though its days are numbered.

Peter

We have Expong in Swanley Kent coming up next month, if you would like to send me some details I can copy some of the photos that have been posted if that is ok and with some contact details some one may be interested in it.

I can also send your details on to the editors of the 009 newsletter if you wish as I am sure they would highlight the layout.

Like I said before If I had the space and the money to do someothing about the layout I would be most interested, I am surprised that it has not been out on the the exhibition circuit a bit more, it cerntainly would be a layout for Warley and it is the sort of layout we would have at Expong as well.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Hi Colin

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the layout going to shows we have sent out numerous cv's of the layout to organisers of like Warley, 009 society and many many others over the years and have never had any invites for it. As I said it has been to only 4 shows which were all local. My other layouts - Porth Eithin, Glen Gillie, Dartmouth for Kingswear, GTD have all been to shows, We average between 4 - 6 shows a year and all shows are issued with a full set of cv's but to no avail for the narrow gauge. It is one of my most favoured layouts as during the early 1960's the late David Lloyd and John Huxley and myself travelled on numerous occassions up and down the line giving me very fond memories of the line.

David and I built a small diorama of the flying crossings over the main line at Port Penrhyn.

I would love to get the narrow gauge part working and the engines made but there is no one in the club (South Caernarfonshire MRG) interested and also there appears to be a lack of interest from modellers in this area of north wales. I would love to be able to take it to some more shows (in fact there is a further board that had been started which was to have the standard gauge and narrow gauge bridges over the river on it but due to the lack of interest it was never completed).

Due to the memories it holds with David and the line itself just at this point I don't know whether I can bring myself to part with it.

Must say that since I said I was going to possibly scrap it there has been more interest shown in the layout. To attend shows I have my own 4x4 and trailer for the smaller layouts and therefore it is only the cost of the diesel (between 12 & 15 mpg pulling) and overnight accommodation B&B. If a very long distance away we usually ask for Sunday night accommodation and usually 2 operators, but even this seems to be too much.

Keep in touch, pity you are not nearer and you could help me!

Peter