Porth Penrhyn

trains12

We've all been there! Theres nothing like a photographic session to draw attention to all the little damaged or missing bits that we don't otherwise notice.

Stocking a layout this size is going to be quite a task, how many slate wagons would you need? Or do you have a team of freinds who can supply stock for operating sessions?

All the best,

Dave.

Hi Dave

Dont know how many but I guess it would be in the region of 30-40 slate wagons and about 20 other mixed wagon stock. At present there is just me on the NG side so I am looking to some of my friends to see if they can help with this or any offers from others.:rolleyes:

Peter

Hi Peter

May have missed it somewhere but how do you move the NG track to allow it to cross the SG track? Looks like an interesting concept.

Peter

Hi Peter

I posted the following early if this helps.

The one shown was not very good in operation. The new one is going to be a copy of one that was used on a layout built in 1963/4 and uses a cam it lift the 2ft track up as a hand wheel is turned and then drops it inbetween the standard gauge track. :)

I hope to in the furture post a more detailed version with some photos when I am rebuilding it.

Peter

Wow! Always wanted to see a layout of this so this is very interesting!

Have you heard about the Parkside Dundas RTR chassis that they are producing for Linda, Charles and Blanche in 009? Is the Linda that you have to build the tank version, one of the Penrhyn ladies (and Charles) would look great on this layout!

Look forward to seeing more!

Hi Tom

The one thing that I cannot do is build engine chassis. If my life depended on it I would be doomed so its interesting to hear that Andrew and Charles at Parkside or to do a RTR chassis for Linda etc. I whish they would re do the engine kits again, I could do with two more.

Peter

Hi All RMWeb Members...and any new joining Members / Viewers for the first time.

These are some Pictures Taken at Pete's upstairs Work Shop of the building that is being replaced at the far end of the layout by the road way....Enjoy...!

Warm Regards 7APT7

Hi All RMWeb Members...and any new Members / Viewers for the first time.

These are some Pictures Taken at Peter's upstairs Work Shop of the building that is being replaced at the far end of the layout by the road way....Enjoy...!

If you need any extra Details, Please (PM) or Ask Peter....?

Warm Regards 7APT7

PS: Sorry I forgot to attach the Pictures...Doh...Try again

post-5212-12588389450618_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588389632452_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588389921125_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588390122133_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588390337599_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588390567797_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588390922603_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588391094581_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12588391244384_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi All RMWeb Members...and any new joining Members / Viewers for the first time.

These are some Pictures Taken at Pete's upstairs Work Shop of the biulding that is being replaced at the far end of the layout by the road way....Enjoy...!

Warm Regards 7APT7

Very good, the rendering looks particularly effective, how is it done?

Whats the other building in the background on the bench? Looks like part of Penrhyn Castle!

Fascinated to hear of your connection with David Lloyd and the Augher Valley Railway. Seeing it in the 1964 Railway Modeller at the age of six had a huge influence on me, and helped to kickstart my narrow gauge affection/afliction.

Many years later I became acquainted with David during his time at Peco. He was building Coolcalaghta and I was building Charmouth. His untimely death was very sad.

Best wishes,

Dave.T

Very good, the rendering looks particularly effective, how is it done?

Whats the other building in the background on the bench? Looks like part of Penrhyn Castle!

Fascinated to hear of your connection with David Lloyd and the Augher Valley Railway. Seeing it in the 1964 Railway Modeller at the age of six had a huge influence on me, and helped to kickstart my narrow gauge affection/afliction.

Many years later I became acquainted with David during his time at Peco. He was building Coolcalaghta and I was building Charmouth. His untimely death was very sad.

Best wishes,

Dave.T

Hi Dave

The rendering is fine grade sandpaper ( I think it was grade 100?) that is glued on to the main carcas of the building. This is how it is down at Porth Penrhyn with one window blocked out but a window frame painted in black in the opening. I have used this technique before on many models and has proved very sucessful, the best example being the lighthouse on Porth Eithin my china clay layout. When painted it is very like pebble dash.

The building in the background of the port house building is a Distillary/ Brewery which I am making for Kinmundy layout being built for Martin (Wales) Jones.

The late David Lloyd and I grow up togerther nearly David was 8 years older than me and first got me into serious modelling when I was 8 years old. He lived at 32 and I 22 Corkland Rd. in Chorlton Manchester. Untill my early 20's David and I spent most of the time modelling and driving around the country visiting NG lines in an old 4 wheeled Morgan sports car that we had done up. When David whent to live in Ireland we lost touch but on his return and the job at Peco we again kept in touch. It was sad his untimely death, as was the Rev. Teddy Boston's who was one other members of our little group.

Regards Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Some extra Photos of the layout.

These are Photos of the full length of the layout from Left to Right...Any Comment feel free to ask...?

Stunning Modelling work that incorporates 'OO' gauge with '009' together....?

Hope you enjoy, if you do please leave your comments...

Regards JAMIE

post-5212-12599723946795_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12599724221272_thumb.jpg

post-5212-1259972443456_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12599725636917_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12599725858634_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looks a real beauty of a layout smashing thanks for sharing it.

Can I ask did you ever get an original trackplan from the site? I guess yours is somewhat different?

Also when is it in Portmadoc Show?

Keep us posted thanks again rolleyes.gif

Looks a real beauty of a layout smashing thanks for sharing it.

Can I ask did you ever get an original trackplan from the site? I guess yours is somewhat different?

Also when is it in Portmadoc Show?

Keep us posted thanks again rolleyes.gif

Hi TheFonz1

In reply to your answer...Yes, I did manage to get hold of an Original Track Plan based in 1960 and also have plans of the late 1890's, 1920's and late 1949 from various sources. The actual layout is based on part of the 1928, 1949 and 1960, and altered to fit into the space available (Harbour is 12' x 2'6") there is another 4' new board being built with the timber bridge carrying the standard and narrow gauge on it.

The Date of the Porthmadog Show is the 1st & 2nd of May 2010...situated opposite the Railway Station in the Sports Centre part of the building.

Peter

The Date of the Porthmadog Show is the 1st & 2nd of May 2010...situated opposite the Railway Station in the Sports Centre part of the building.

If this lovely layout is showing up there, better get into the May bank holiday time off work fight now, or I'll never get a chance to see it in person. Makes my effort look tiny and pathetic in comparision.

If this lovely layout is showing up there, better get into the May bank holiday time off work fight now, or I'll never get a chance to see it in person. Makes my effort look tiny and pathetic in comparision.

Hi Mega Mort

I may show the layout at the Slate Museum show in Feb 2010. Not sure yet which layouts I and the club will be taking yet. The main problem is stock still a lot of the narrow gauge wagons to build yet. Since I finished Kinmundy I have started two other layouts One for 7APT7 Jamie and a new layout for myself. Plus I am building a for foot extension to PP with the bridge which has the narrow and standard gauge on it. Will keep every one informed.

Cheers

Peter:rolleyes:

I may show the layout at the Slate Museum show in Feb 2010. Not sure yet which layouts I and the club will be taking yet.

was thinking of making the trip to that, this year anyway, another good reason to go now.

still a lot of the narrow gauge wagons to build

at least you've got them to build I can't afford to buy them at the minute let alone build them :icon_mutter:

Hi Mega Mort

I may show the layout at the Slate Museum show in Feb 2010. Not sure yet which layouts I and the club will be taking yet. The main problem is stock still a lot of the narrow gauge wagons to build yet. Since I finished Kinmundy I have started two other layouts One for 7APT7 Jamie and a new layout for myself. Plus I am building a for foot extension to PP with the bridge which has the narrow and standard gauge on it. Will keep every one informed.

Cheers

Peter:rolleyes:

Peter,

Are you going to be at Southampton Exhibition at the end of January. If so I will (try to remember to!!)bring along some 009 slate wagon kits I built some years ago before I moved up a scale, there are probably only half a dozen but they may help you out a little. They are serving no purpose sitting in a box for the past 10 or more years and I'm sure we can come to an agreement over them that suits us both.

Phil Traxson (Port Wynnstay Models)

• 5 weeks later...

Hi to All

Peter as been busy trying to get this layout up and running and managed to test it with some rolling stack...etc

Enjoy these latest photos and feel free to ask Peter and Question about the layout and any of the stock on it...

Regards

Jamie

post-5212-12642072211265_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642072357939_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642072580942_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642072916312_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642073103964_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642073231347_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642073382646_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642073521748_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642073797089_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642073947656_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642074187554_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642074329095_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642074515793_thumb.jpg

post-5212-12642074637637_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Hi All

Have not been on for sometime due to ill health and a few other problems. Anyway here is a shot of the new round toilet that has been made to replace the old one that was damaged. The layout has had a lot of work this last month ready for the Portmadog show on the 1st & 2nd May. The port building has been finished and is ready to place on the layout.

The bad side is that we still have two prolems on the NG side with shorts and now four of my five engines have broken down. Stock is beening made but now the engines are a worry. Will post some more in the next few days.

Peterpost-6915-12708292722_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Peter

Have you any new Photos to upload since the Porthmadog Show, as there were extra's added and some more work finished on this Layout.

On the DELTIC Tour with Wendy, the Preston to Kings Cross this weekend.

Cheers

Dude

Speak again soon.

• RMweb Gold

This is a brilliant layout - the mix of 009 and OO is something I will be including on my layout, but the way the narrow gauge has been tangled up in the standard gauge lines on this layout looks really satisfying to the eye. The trackwork looks very nice and I am enjoying the pictures so far. Is the narrow gauge loco featured in the pictures above the GEM whitemetal kit?

Would love to see more photos - thanks for inspiring me with those so far!

Jam

This is a brilliant layout - the mix of 009 and OO is something I will be including on my layout, but the way the narrow gauge has been tangled up in the standard gauge lines on this layout looks really satisfying to the eye. The trackwork looks very nice and I am enjoying the pictures so far. Is the narrow gauge loco featured in the pictures above the GEM whitemetal kit?

Would love to see more photos - thanks for inspiring me with those so far!

Jam

To millsie aka Martin, This is a great Layout now Peter as done more work on it and is near completion.

To SouthernRegionSteam

All this Layout as been made by Peter who will surely answer any questions that you may have regarding the OO9 side. Setup at the Porthmadog show with its backdrops all completed with the Hous finally finished looked great and like you say, see a Mix of the two Gauges are great to see on any one layout. All the buildings have been constucted by Peter, the Track is all Handmade by Peter too and the Track work looks absolutly great if only he can iron out the some parts of the OO9 area's of the Layout, which was all working great.

Peter Peter over to you if you can help with Questions...?

Thanks again for looking at Peters fine work and will try and upload some extra photos of the Porthmadog Show when I return from over the weekend.

Regards

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi all

Here are some more shots of the layout taken just before Porthmadog show and at the show by me and Jamie. To Jam I think it was a Gem kit but I cannot remember as it is nearly 40 years old.

Peter

post-6915-127620274971.jpg

post-6915-127620292678.jpg

post-6915-127620287625.jpg

post-6915-127620283329.jpg

post-6915-127620283329.jpg

post-6915-12762027973.jpg

• Like 4