Chivers Finelines 2011

finelines

Roger,

Really looking forward to the Ruston 88DS, an excellent choice, I can certainly find a home for two.

Would you be able to include the additional ballast weights for the sideframes as an optional extra please?

It's always a pleasure building a kit where everything fits as it should, thanks!

All the bst,

Clive.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Roger!

Just do a little etch for the interior. This is one I have done for the 48DS. Not got it all right as only working from glimpsed photos of the interior. You showed me how to do them so you should be able to offer a mixed media kit??

Cheers, and hope to see you some time soon,

Ian in Blackpool

p.s. Anyone got proper photos of the interior of a 48DS please??

post-2173-0-31081300-1297977628_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

The 88DS were very widely travelled. I remember being very surprised arriving at a factory in central Pakistan about one third of the way between Karachi and Lahore whilst on business back in 1991 to find an 88DS in use as the works shunter. Sadly though didn't have a camera with me! An excellent choice for a model and I look forward to their arrival

The 88DS were very widely travelled.

You're not kidding Atilla - quick check shows they ended up in most corners of the globe ranging from South Africa to Portugal, Java to Nigeria and Australia to Argentina. I wonder if there's any other contenders for the most widely distributed loco?

Pix

Roger,

One of the few?? success stories about the Dapol/Hornby Stove seems to be the sliding centre axle. Could this arrangement be incorporated into the Thompson BZ, with the possibility of a retrofit to your excellent 6-wheel fish? All it would need is a simple plastic block/groove for the axle to sit in, with a retaining flat to keep it all secure. Fixed end axles/wheels on the Stove seem quite happy down to 22" radii, which most purchasers would have, perhaps with the false fixed centre wheel available for those with "corners"?

Cheers, Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

The centre axle arrangement on the fish was to enable the widest spectrum of skill levels to be able to successfully end up with a working van. When I was producing etched kits I regularly heard across the counter "xyz plastic kits have good bodies, but the underframes!" from the finer scale modellers. So when I joined the merry band of plastic manufacturers I designed them on the basis that those who can't will use my underframe as it comes and those who can will replace it any way. If I did do a stove R, as some have asked, it would still get this underframe.

It is interesting to note that the dummy centre wheel is less obvious the bigger the radius of the curve. On the other hand with some fettling of the castings my two etched brass 6 wheel compensated fish van would go round corners!

Roger

• RMweb Premium

Sorry to all, but would have had some Chivers stock for Glasgow, but it never arrives! Charlie

You are quite right Charlie. When I told Sharon I had said Friday or Monday delivery to you she took me by the ear and lead me to the calendar and drew my attention to the hospital appointments. So for me today is last Thursday!

Any excuse! he says.

But there is a possible silver lining, what they've been doing could help Sharon's health.

We really do appreciate people's patience with us. I am eager to get away from the production side of the business and get on with new work.

Roger

A LMS 42ft GUV would go down well with some of us... 4mm of course...;)

There were the small number with higher rooves branded as aeroplane vans.

Ah - LNER 6 wheel bizarre weird BZ thing with the springs outside the axleguards? Is that the one?

Excellent. I'd love one, please!

A 42ft LMS van on 6-wheels lettered LNER with an elephant on board would be truly bizarre.... B)

Why not produce bogie vehicles as body-only and tell customers to sort themselves out with bogies. There is a variety of bogie kits out there as well as spares from the RTR people. I can think of a number of bogie non-passenger carrying vans that are ideally suited to plastic rather than the single-releaf etch process. And of course they cross all regional boundaries.

Why not produce bogie vehicles as body-only and tell customers to sort themselves out with bogies. There is a variety of bogie kits out there as well as spares from the RTR people. I can think of a number of bogie non-passenger carrying vans that are ideally suited to plastic rather than the single-releaf etch process. And of course they cross all regional boundaries.

That's a good idea for 4mm scale. However, why is it that Bachmann sell their 4mm coach bogies as spares but won't supply their N Gauge ones even to the N Gauge Society, let alone the rest of the modelling public?

Archived