Chivers Finelines Pre-grouping wagons

finelines

• RMweb Premium

Ever since I started doing plastic kits I have had a bee in my bonnet, for those of us who model around 1960 the thing that is missing is post 1918 pre-grouping stock. Concurrently with Pigeon Van and the Southern 2 door mineral wagon I cut a die for the side of this LSWR sliding door van with a steel underframe. This will provide a chassis for 4 other wagons.

I have been looking at other pre-grouping wagons, but I will only mention one other, for which I have always had a soft spot, the original SECR Maunsell roof van, shorter than a standard SR one with 3 part doors.

Let me know your thoughts.

Roger

Guest Max Stafford

A brake van of NBR origins would be rather nice. It's certainly something rather absent from the other makers' lists!

Dave.

• RMweb Gold

A brake van of NBR origins would be rather nice. It's certainly something rather absent from the other makers' lists!

Dave.

Definitely. The last one known in the wild was a "Westykit" and then very early Iain Kirk - about as common as gnashers on a Rhode Island Red.

I'm also up for some LSWR vans..

Excellent news..LSWR Outside braced vans (with sliding door?.) Such as SR diagrams 1409 and 1410. According to my reference these lasted into BR ownership.

I would expect pre-grouping goods stock to be the preserve of kits rather than RTR. Plus from a personal perspective kits come much faster in the mail.

• RMweb Premium

This is the correct dia, 1406. The dia 1409 and 1410 are the low roof earlier diagram. My kit for 1410 in etched brass was hand drawn, but 1406 and the one with the 3 part door were both drawn on the computer so I have a jumping off point. The low roof variants will fit on the same chassis.

We have done some work on the WD brake van but has not been given much priority because every part of the body needs a separate die or cavity. I really want to get this project moving.

Roger

Whilst not being a Southern modeller myself I know someone who would be extremely interested.

You don't have to be a 'Southern' modeller to have 'Southern' wagons. They went where the load was consigned to, they would have even got onto the Grass and Weeds Railway. I am LMS (Midland) myself and will welcome a LSWR van. Goods trains simply need a 'Home Company' (or company with Running Powers) engine and Guard's Van, the rest of the wagons can be from virtually anywhere. The only wagons to be wary of are PO coal wagons which would have had limited geographical scope before WW2.

Having just invested in just one Finney Diag 1410, I would consider the metal underframe van as an excellent alternate choice at a lower cost. The later types ran into the early 60's as departmental stock carrying spares between depots and the works, a good excuse to be found both in trains and waiting in sidings around the system.

If I might suggest, modellers do like well-known exotic vehicles - the LSWR/SR 26' Goods, Guard's and Cattle Drover's Van 8' 0" diagram 1546- would make a rather nice vehicle. Did one of these end its day's on the Lyme Regis branch?

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about N gauge. I have a rough idea of what I have planned for this year. I have been working on new die cutting techniques and if they work without smashing tools we will all benefit.

When it comes to reproducing my etched kits on plastic I have to be careful because I have passed the to Matthew to work with. I did warn him the there were some kits I have a soft spot for and there was a likelyhood of me doing them on plastic. These includes the 150 series of vans, the LMS horsebox, the NE 4w CCT and the SR prize cattlle van.

I have done some work on the LMS horsebox, mostly because of the challenge, but so far have not been happy with the results.

A little story about the SR prize cattle van. When I was producing my etched range a number of people asked about a "Utility Horsebox". Mike King correctly identified it as the prize cattle van and it became RC119.

Roger

• RMweb Premium

None. I felt it would be sharp practice to sell high priced etched kits if I was planning to do a plastic one. I have been having fun doing things I never got to on etched brass.

The Southern ballast wagons were originally announced in 1988 and were going to be whitemetal bodies on etched chassis. Probably the longest gestation period of any kit?

Roger

Dave.

Hi Dave

I think a NBR Brake Van is available at Dragon Models, it is a 20 Ton, 4 Wheel Diagram 32B, Chris also has other NBR vehicles plus, I think, Caley & GSWR, all ex Majestic Models

Midland Man

Archived