Falsgrave Signal Bridge

mikemeg

When the Falsgrave (Scarborough) signal bridge was dismantled and removed in early October of last year, it was stated that this structure would be re-erected on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway after some refurbishment and modification, I believe in Retford.

Does anyone know when this structure is to be/was relocated to its new home in Grosmont? If it's there, or about to be there, then a trip through the moors to Grosmont - with camera - might be an idea.

Cheers

Mike

It wasn't there last week, that much is certain. However a wire run has been added in the back road cess and the locking fitters were in the cabin last week, so it may be iminent.

On the other hand it may not.

AND, gossip has it that the signals will be NER style lower quads when they are fitted, which will be good.

• 1 year later...

Well, the thing is now on a train and trundling to Grosmont as we speak. The East pier will go up tomorrow lunch time with the rest being erected on Saturday night during a T3.

First job Sunday morning - hump the new gantry.

UPDATE - just come past the house at 21:11, far too dark for pics with my naff camera, but it looks impressive with what appeared to be wooden dolls to go on it rather than more modern steel ones. I'll get some photos tomorrow of it as is and also of the various stages of the putting up as/when I am about.

I had a proper look before we started playing trains today and yes, it really is a build your own signal bridge kit in R scale. It even includes all of the castings and the multi-core cable for connecting your gubbins. The rest will go up Saturday night on an overnight T3

post-4569-0-98845900-1348249562_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-98183500-1348249572_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-76981900-1348249582_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-84309300-1348249592_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Is there any truth in the tale that NR cleaned & repainted the bridge part ready for delivery to the NYMR and made a hash of it which meant it had to be repainted for a second time? It certainly looks nice in the pic I've seen (from a pal in the north) but the modern 'gas pipe' handrails look a bit out of place and somewhat out of scale.

Is there any truth in the tale that NR cleaned & repainted the bridge part ready for delivery to the NYMR and made a hash of it which meant it had to be repainted for a second time? It certainly looks nice in the pic I've seen (from a pal in the north) but the modern 'gas pipe' handrails look a bit out of place and somewhat out of scale.

Yes, but it wasn't NR it was a contractor and therein lies quite a tale which probably can't be repeated in its entirety on a public forum.

I agree with the comments about the handrails, but at least they match the rest of the signals at Grosmont!

but the modern 'gas pipe' handrails look a bit out of place and somewhat out of scale.

At least it's handrails and not a mesh fence!!!

As for 'gas pipe' I believe the LBSCR used 11/4" water barrel (aka point rodding) for handrails on their bracket signals/gantries. It will be nice to see the structure in use again.

It went up last night as planned, the view at the north end of Grosmont now looks totally different, and the local nimby has been down and whinged that it now spoils their view (they must regularly stand on the ridge tiles of their roof as that's the only way they'd see it).

I'm not sure about the kick boards, they make it seem overly top heavy to me, but I suppose it has to conform to some specification or another that requires them.

I do like the fact that original bits have been re-used including the cast LNER post tops though, they are a nice touch.

post-4569-0-69399100-1348424290_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-92251100-1348424301_thumb.jpg

post-4569-0-88908200-1348424310_thumb.jpg

I do like the fact that original bits have been re-used including the cast LNER post tops though, they are a nice touch.

I wonder how that finial ended up there? It's a British Power Railway Signal Co offering. I have several of these ex Cambridge.

Alas the toe boards don't do its appearance any good - but I doubt you could easily find a way round the regs which require them (although I could think of a possible way).

M&H handrails were made from "3/4ins Gas Barrel", the present handrails and toe boards certainly look crap, but at least, as yet no silly loops on all the ladders. Mick.

At least it's handrails and not a mesh fence!!!

As for 'gas pipe' I believe the LBSCR used 11/4" water barrel (aka point rodding) for handrails on their bracket signals/gantries. It will be nice to see the structure in use again.

Both M&H and S&F listed 1 1/4in dia barrell as point rodding, obviously proves your belief correct. Mick.

Archived