Landrover on Rails

I thought people might be interested in this for a little fun......

I was going through some boxes yesterday, and discovered this

CopyofIMG_5495.jpg

CopyofIMG_5496.jpg

Which I adapted 2o years ago, and completely forgotton about. To my surprise I found I'd even put an RG4 under it.....

Obviously not finished, wants improving and weathering.

But just in case anyone thinks I'm getting fanciful....

Railroverprototype.jpg

Granted, this is a Series II whereas the Dinky model is a Series 1, but never mind.

Cornelius - impressed with the narrow gauge one - chain drive down to a power bogie! Quite a way of doing it! With all these landrover conversions (as opposed to the road/railers) one wonders what benefit a Landy has over any other vehicle. It would start slipping well before you could get half the power down to the track..... The Road/railers obviously have all-terrain capability to get to the track.

• RMweb Premium

The rear "bogie" of the narrow gauge conversion at Statfold was actualy fixed in place so that the chain drive would work, leading to derailments. It has now been rebuilt with a single rear axle but I prefer the look of the double bogie arragement so my model is keeping it!

But just in case anyone thinks I'm getting fanciful....

Railroverprototype.jpg

Granted, this is a Series II whereas the Dinky model is a Series 1, but never mind.

Evening All,

It's not only Land Rovers that have been converted for rail use. See :

http://ronfisher2.fotopic.net/p54866809.html

taken on the Kent & East Sussex Railway in 1964.

Land Rovers were, I understand, deliberately designed and built so that the road wheels could be replaced with flanged wheels to allow running on standard gauge track.

Not surprising really, given that they were based originally on the Jeep, which had been used extensively as a rail-mounted inspection vehicle after the Normandy landings.

• 4 years later...

I guess a four wheel drive vehicle is better for the purpose than a two wheel drive, given the traction limitations of steel on steel. Given that, in the UK, for many years the Land-Rover was the only widely available light four wheel drive, I guess it's inevitable that they formed the basis of many conversions.

When I was 13 I built a Landrover 101 forward control to run on my 00

Built from a JB models kit and a tram bogie. A bit more weight and it would have shunted the private sidings on my layout.

Switched to N gauge so it's sat in a box still un-painted.

Thanks Black Sheep, but I was thinking rather more of a full size tram bogie to go under my full size 101, not sure a 00 bogie would take the weight!!

Think I'll stick to the V8 and rubber tyres.

Archived