Junction Terminus?

Dancess

Hi,

Please comment / advise on N gauge track plan, 11 ft x 4 ft max at left side for fiddle yard, main plan is 20ins wide. it was originally devised to operate as a junction terminus, late 50s steam, but only the lower platform can be used to meet this criteria. Options include removal of Engine Shed (Upper middle) and fitting trailing point closer to platform and using for lineside industry but where does shed go? or removal of upper platform and using end of track for dairy, excuse to use my 6wheel Milk Tankers?

Any advice / comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

post-10924-0-52962600-1297166958_thumb.jpg

Hello, that looks quite a nice layout plan. If you have not already done so then have a look at the track plan for Bodmin General as this has the sort of arrangement you are looking for. The track plan looks a bit over-complicated to me, it might be worth seeing if you can rationalise it slightly. You may then find that the platform problem disappears.

Here is a track plan for an N gauge version of Bodmin. I am not suggesting you copy it but it might give some ideas for prototypical track plannning.

http://www.bradfordmrc.org.uk/images/Layout_database/2010/Bodmin_plan900.jpg

As to your questions, I like dairies and also have a soft spot for those 6-wheeled tankers (just remember to get a passenger brake van for them ;)).

If you want to keep both platforms then one option is to have trains arrive at the upper platform. Once passengers have got off, the coaches could then be shunted to the lower platform ready for departure. This sort of operation was not unknown and could even add extra operating interest.

Unless you want to use either platform for either line i don't think you have a problem there. I think it would have been quite normal to have dedicated platforms, otherwise the poor passengers wouldn't know which platfom to go to. This does of course beg the question as to how they access platform 2. As to whether or not you actually need 2 platforms is another matter. I seem to remember that Berrow (if you remember it from the 60's in RM) only had 1 platform and a bay, so you could ditch the main platform and alter the pointwork to suit.

Rather more of an issue I would think is the length of the headshunt, your yard would be better moved nearer the station

• RMweb Premium

I would move your goods yard to extend further towards the main station building extending some of the sidings as they appear to be very short. Also on the goods yard, is the black rectangle the goods shed? If it is then it appears to have no road access.

The loco shed needs a trap point to protect passing trains from runaway locos and ash wagons. There might need to be a pit and a watering crane. The second platform's operability needs to be reviewed, as anything arriving in that platform needs to shunt to run-round, which wouldn't amuse 12in-scale platform and train staff. If it is to be deleted, then another crossover is required for departing trains to reach the lower branch line. The term "trailing point" has no meaning on a bidirectional line.

As an earlier poster has recommended too, it would be worth reviewing the terminus at Bodmin for operability and make comparisons.

Operability isn't just about the stock. It's about applying stock to the track layout to determine whether a viable operating sequence, nay, even a working timetable can be created using the track layout design. Well done for carrying this out before a single sleeper has been laid; so few modellers do, if similar postings in this forum are anything to go by.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Probably in wrong section but here goes. Finally getting round to starting building ! Maybe being unconventional but using Gorm shelving for support of 50mm insulation board as railway top surface. Layout wil be U shaped 11 feet along longest side and 2 arms - one 4 feet, the other 7 feet long, basicall a terminus to fiddle yard. Era late 50s and running S&D type locos with one Hall for variety. So much rolling stock to use up.

Will post photos when base is completed if anyone interested. Thanks for reading

Archived