goods yard

Coxswain

After several years of uming and arhing, with grandiose plan after grandiose plan shot down for various reasons I've decided its time I did some modeling. After a quick look through the debris of the last layout i've come up with this as an acheivable plan using what I've got to hand

post-1158-0-86392200-1297182768_thumb.gif

It's an OO gauge goods yard with a very vague era though rougthly 40's 50's ish

• RMweb Premium

Your plan appears to have lots of potential for shunting. It's is obvious what 2 of the sidings are for, have you considered a use for the rest? The coal stithies might be better on the other side of their siding to give more space to turn a horse and cart or lorry.

The plan looks to have great potential for those tricky shunting manoeuvres as has already been said.

Have you narrowed it to down to a particular area/region yet or is it still "early days" for that?

Will it be in a rural or urban setting?

What will be the overall size of the layout presumably something like 5 ft by 2ft plus fiddle yard?

Sorry too many questions :D but good luck with it as it looks as if a well detailed layout could be the end result.

David

Great layout plan, love the use of the various sidings, every thing has a reason, now work out a card system for the wagons in the fiddle yard and you could play for hours trying to get them in the correct siding then shuffle agin to make up a departing train. Well done. Andy.

Scinicly its going to be exLSWR SR period with a slightly suberban feel or out of town sort of feel at least as I'm not entirly setteled on the suroundings quite yet, a bus depot being a distinct possibility. It will run more diagonally across the board and initally there be no diddel yard as I'm thinking about using cassetes and want to research them further. I'll post some pics of the moc up when I find my camera

• RMweb Gold

Would road transport from the goods shed need access to the weighbridge?

Not very likely - goods sheds at small/medium depots were generally used for 'smalls consignments' and not for full loads although occasionally if there was an opportunity a full load might go through if it needed weather protection.

• 3 weeks later...

I think pushing the only runaround loop to the top is probably a bit implausible. It makes the yard near impossible to work without going in and out all the time.

I'd link between the curve start of siding 6/7 to get the small loop back honestly. I'd also probably take #3 back through a building into the fiddle yard but thats really a personal preference to allow somewhere offscene for freight to go.

Not so sure about the loop at the back, one way to make it look very natural might be to put the end section of it out of sight, you could then probably just about squash space to hide a railbus or autotrain of some kind as if the branch continues and its a passing point.

I actually rather like the Feb 10 plan, perhaps with the good shed swapped to #1 to be near the road/weighbridge/entrance area and a bit further along the back a coal merchants office and whatnots ahead of the staithes and more rail side coal facilities.

Alan

• RMweb Premium

Something about the way the main part of the yard is almost symmetrical makes it look a little odd to my eyes. It might be just the way that the plan is drawn and that when built this would not show.

• RMweb Gold

Right, now shunt it (on paper at this stage of course) with a train which is longer than the run-round (which is not a problem of course) and see if you're still happy with it before you start track laying. Don't get me wrong because I think it will be interesting to work and provide plenty of post-constructional operational fun interest but do have a go at it before you start track laying as you'll find you've created a couple of 'interesting' features when you come to operate itwink.gif

After a play on a full scale mock up the layouts changed slightly

post-1158-0-76678400-1300387722_thumb.gif

1- Brake Van siding

2&3- Coal Yard sidings

4- Miliage Siding

5- Headshunt

6- Crane/Milage Siding

7- Loading Dock

8- Goods shed headshunt

9- Goods Shed Platfom Siding

You could have loads of fun shunting that. Personally I'd extend 1 a bit as then it could be used as a headshunt for the goods yard (thus leaving the entrance line clear if something else arrives), plus useful as a general storage siding, but that's a minor quip.

Looks good to me.

Yes as an inveterate doodler, I would say start now and as its a small layout if it pans out not to suit your needs then you can rebuild, but as I am fast coming to realise "one" should just build and not procrastinate. :) imho.

Tom.

P.S meant to say nice plan should be fun to operate.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived