The whole layout is really coming together, look fowards to seeing more during next year.

Hi Peter

Thanks. It's just over a year since I started it, and as you've all seen there have been quite a few changes of plan - still I enjoy myself.

It's also been a fun time here on RMWeb, and for anyone who hasn't yet dived in and posted what they're up to (warts and all), I'd seriously recommend it - I can't believe there have been nearly 500 posts on the thread, and over 26,000 views.

On the layout front, I've got some (minor) track changes in mind - it must have been that day spent with Scott and Ian that did it!

Cheers and Happy Christmas,

Phil

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update of what I've been doing while off-line.

A bit more Scalescenes for the backdrop:

post-10336-0-50898100-1325194992_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-71918400-1325195004_thumb.jpg

Since these were taken, I've also added some trees, fencing and bushes, but having dropped the camera (again) no more pics for a bit..

The track has also had some changes to enable more shunting to take place (a bug caught from Scott)

Looking forward to 2012....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 5

Another update...

Here is my new tree – made with inspiration from the article on making 4mm trees by Pete Goss in the Jan edition of Railway Modeller.

post-10336-0-74305000-1325507397_thumb.jpg

Not quite exactly as he did it. I used garden wire for the main branches, then stuck on small pieces of hairy string (coir?) which were actually from the cats scratching post – I’m sure they’ll get their revenge. Once this was dry I pained it with brown paint (Burnt Umber), then sprinkled on some of the green woodland scenincs turf.

post-10336-0-67580000-1325507444_thumb.jpg

Not bad as a first effort, but probably need more branches, and not all the string was painted.

Phil

• Like 2

Evening all

Do you remember that I had some 'slight' track changes in mind? Well the terminus station is now a through one, on two of the tracks at least.

Here is the before:

post-10336-0-67904300-1325715528_thumb.jpg

And the after:

post-10336-0-79068600-1325715538_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-08336400-1325715789_thumb.jpg

A lot more fun to operate, although a lot of messing about digging up ballast. A few more changes also needed to link the various tracks.

It used to have two loops and a a very small bit of shunting, but will end up with three loops and more shunting, something I realised I was missing from my time at Exford Park with Ian and Scott.

Of course I did promise myself I would actually finish it all before ripping bits up, but it was a new year after all....

Phil

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Morning all - first I'd like to announce a new arrival to the family...

60 066 in Transrail livery:

post-10336-0-07159500-1327832515_thumb.jpg

And here in the background

post-10336-0-38387500-1327833270_thumb.jpg

Oh and a new baby daughter has turned up, somewhat curtailing the modelling activities!

I have however just about got all the track back in place. I'll have now got three roundy roundy lines, which I've operated this morning and a lot better than before. I still need to put some more thought into the shunting area, as things gan get a bit trapped in there at the moment.

As you can see from these shots, I'm also thinking about extending the road (or should I make it a rail) bridge over the rest of the lines (a plank of wood there at the moment). The alternative is to have some station buildings at a higher level (connected via the existing road bridge, with steps down to the platforms, which would make it into more of a tunnel.

post-10336-0-92857800-1327834325_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-09384300-1327834438_thumb.jpg

As usual, thoughts, suggestions and comments welcome.

Looking forward to next weekend with the boys up at Stafford, and I too suspect it could turn out to be an expensive day out....

Cheers

Phil

• Like 4

The thing I notice at the moment are:-

a) Since making the through line you have no station buildings, which looks odd given the size and number of platforms.

B) The passenger access, by car or bus, to the station is very limited.

How about converting the steep ramp into a split level Station with the bridge road where the plank is. Then add some bus bays to the road?

To finish make the corner show some low reflief houses and shops to imply to town centre is over there?

• Like 1

The thing I notice at the moment are:-

a) Since making the through line you have no station buildings, which looks odd given the size and number of platforms.

B) The passenger access, by car or bus, to the station is very limited.

How about converting the steep ramp into a split level Station with the bridge road where the plank is. Then add some bus bays to the road?

To finish make the corner show some low reflief houses and shops to imply to town centre is over there?

All good points - here are some shots with the original buildings back on site in various positions.

post-10336-0-50113400-1327927385_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-47860400-1327927391_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-91137800-1327927397_thumb.jpg

The last one even allows me to have yet another station/platform on the other line - oh no more stations - it's supposed to be freight!!!!!!

I'm thinking the whole corner part may get covered up with an upper level station/roads and houses as you suggest.

Keep the suggestions coming

Phil

• Like 2

Phil I like the idea of a raised station building, cover the corner so you can have shops etc and you could also extend the platforms underneath so any access to the platforms could be off scene.. You could have a bus station/ multi storey car park too. That would mean that the small car park with the coaches on could be used for something else. Little Network Rail office/yard maybe with couple of vans in it.

Just another idea thrown into the pot...

See you Saturday

Scott

Edited by pitbull1845
  • Like 1

Thats it - the bridge is history...

Now all I need to do is to build a full station, car park and bus station. I like the idea of hidden access to the extended platforms, and was thinking of making one of the three dis-used, which would tie in with an engineers / NR yard, although unless I built a little vehicle tunnel there would be no way in/out.

post-10336-0-96922700-1327961003_thumb.jpg

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

First time I've commented on your thread but the above looks much better as the ramp access to the platforms was a bit too steep before (and I did wonder how buses would turn the 90 degree corner) and it also hides the sharp curves out of the platform ends.

Hi Phil,

I love the changes to the station, and the fact that you are brave enough to make them !

I often look at Westquay and think I'll make a few changes / tweaks, but don't have the guts to do it. Well done for going for it mate.

Everything evolves in life, so I'm sure a freight layout evolving into one whose focal point is a mainline station is no different. :P

Cheers,

Stu.

Thanks Stu, although demolition is the easy part....

I was however inspired by a couple of layouts at Stafford at the weekend, about access to the station - a low profile station to the side with access to the platforms via a bridge over the main lines, although as you can see there is still a lot of freight in the station.

This would leave the raised area to become something else - still working on some ideas.

Also some pics of the newly acquired Tigers and Transit van. An odd number as suggested by Scott, however I think 15 would have been better!

post-10336-0-12091000-1328568813_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-03094900-1328568826_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Hey,

I know I'm a bit of a lurker on your thread as I rarely comment, but I've really been impressed with it recently. Molst people's layouts develope, but your's has "evolved"! #

Really like your work with the ground cover. As this is the stage I'm at atm, it's good to see results like yours as encouragement!

Keep up the good work and I'll continue to follow with interest :D

Regards

Lee