Just read this topic from start to finish more or less & i think your layout is great. It looks so much fun to operate & it's been great to see it grow as a model. Looking at your collection of locos i take it you like your 56's it's a great collection of locos & a nice layout job well done i would say ;)

Simon

Simon & Dave, Thanks for the positive comments - I try not to go back and read all the posts, as it just shows how much I have changed my mind - thinking in public as it were.

Anyway real world DIY completed successfully, so back to the important work.... After the attack of the 200ft cats, some extra large hammers have landed on the fuelling point.

post-10336-0-25315800-1315127279_thumb.jpg

And then the departmental ballasting train turned up along with James and his PW gang.

post-10336-0-90115700-1315127264_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-29304900-1315127293_thumb.jpg

Fortunately the S & T guys remembered to install the orange trunking before the ballast was glued down this time - a lot easier.

post-10336-0-56704700-1315127375_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Evening all. A bit more ballasting - I can't believe how much I've done and also how much is still to do. All still quite wett as you can see.

I've also put the facing on the retaining wall - the usual cat food box technique.

The earthworks that have dried have been painted, well earth colour, reading for the HBL application.

post-10336-0-90235200-1315164706_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-67085200-1315164720_thumb.jpg

A good weekend of progress.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 2

Quick update - after all that messing about getting the HBL, I've now started experimenting with other grass.

post-10336-0-62735100-1315381795_thumb.jpg

Its the same greenery used elsewhere on the track.

post-10336-0-81788300-1315381808_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-11541300-1315382162_thumb.jpg

I think I'm going to keep the HBL as the background, large scale hills, but move over to this for the near to areas (I've already ripped up a bit of HBL I'd stuck on just round the corner from here - not that easy, so may have to put a skim layer of plaster over the top).

Cheers,

Phil

• Like 1

Being relatively new to the forum, I just had to go back and read the thread from the start. You are making a great job of this layout and I have enjoyed reading it thus far. Looking forward to seeing the continued progress. This is a great source of inspiration for me.

Regards

Scott

Thanks to all for the comments - I've been doing some more sticking and scattering on the golf course today.

It's all still quite wet as you can see. I've also taken over the VQ (Virtual Quarry) idea from Scott - initially built from plaster, but will be covered with ballast.

post-10336-0-42886500-1315690730_thumb.jpg

post-10336-0-39107000-1315690810_thumb.jpg

Some more bits from the washing plant have been added, although I seem to have lost the tiny bits at the top, so unless they turn up I'll have to make some.

post-10336-0-07740300-1315690686_thumb.jpg

And I thought this pic was quite good until I noticed the massive rock on the track...

post-10336-0-78288300-1315690695_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

Being relatively new to the forum, I just had to go back and read the thread from the start. You are making a great job of this layout and I have enjoyed reading it thus far. Looking forward to seeing the continued progress. This is a great source of inspiration for me.

Regards

Scott

Hi Scott

Thanks for the comments, and glad you're inspired - presumably because anything you do would be better than my efforts over the past 366 posts! If you've got a layout under construction - please post us some pictures.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Your layout is coming along really well mate, I always look forward to your updates. I think I am going to have a go at creating some hills using your perfected HBL method. So I am in needofyour advice. What do you use to create the hills and what do you use to bond it to the HBL?

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Phil,

Your layout is coming along really well mate, I always look forward to your updates. I think I am going to have a go at creating some hills using your perfected HBL method. So I am in needofyour advice. What do you use to create the hills and what do you use to bond it to the HBL?

Kind regards

Chris

Hi Chris

Thanks for the comments.

It's all fairly easy - I'll get some hints and tips together with some photos in the next couple of days. They key to it all is loads of PVA glue at all stages.

First layer is built from corrugated cardboard (stuck with PVA), then covered in kitchen towel (stuck with PVA). Wait for this to dry - in my basement a couple of days. Next apply some PVA, then apply a layer of plaster (check the use by date). Wait for this to dry fully, then paint either green or brown - your choice. Once this is dry apply more PVA and stick on the HBL.

There are two trains of thoughts on the application of the HBL

Option 1 - stick on out of the packet (with the backing fabric on the top) and wait to dry fully before pulling off the backing.

Option 2 - (this is what I do) - pull off the backing fabric and just stick it on.

Next you need to give the HBL a haircut - either with a pair of scissors or if you have some old barbers clippers you can use them.

And hey presto.....

I'll follow up with some pics which should explain in more detail.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Beresford Junction

Hi Scott

Thanks for the comments, and glad you're inspired - presumably because anything you do would be better than my efforts over the past 366 posts! If you've got a layout under construction - please post us some pictures.

Phil

Too kind Phil and I hardly doubt I could do better. Don't have a layout as such basically and oval with 2 sidings and running a couple Hornby trains I had some 30 years ago as a kid. I think that may change at Christmas however. Just absorbing all the great layouts and tips on here so I can make a better decision as to what I want.

I think I want to go DCC and Bachmann Dynamis just deciding on the track now. Major brand over here is Atlas so we will see about that.

I will post some snaps once the layout starts :)

Regards

Scott

Hi Chris

Here are the pics, although not sure it adds much to my previous description.

Cardboard framework - I used to do this criss-cross but often just stick big bits on now.

post-10336-0-19207700-1315827040_thumb.jpg

Cover with glue and kitchen towel. You can see in the background of this a bit of the outer hill having had it's glue applied waiting for the HBL.

post-10336-0-74543900-1315827043_thumb.jpg

Apply the plaster - I now use pre-mixed as can't be bother messing about with mixing it. Important - remember to apply PVA to surface before putting plaster on - to ensure good adhesion.

post-10336-0-37749300-1315827051_thumb.jpg

Model any other bits/banks you want at this stage then wait for the plaster to dry.

post-10336-0-58166000-1315827061_thumb.jpg

Paint green and just glue the HBL on.

post-10336-0-75077400-1315827065_thumb.jpg

After this is dry, give it a haircut to trim off any unwanted bits.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Beresford Junction
  • Like 1