The Class 47 cab front debate

m davies

I have 5 sets of Shawplan windscreen frames for future use on my Bachmann 47's. Whilst they're not actually fitted to my loco's yet, they look to be up to Shawplans usual high standard.

So, whilst I'm on, is there any good sites showing roof details for these loco's? I'm aware of the Derby Sulzers site, but you can't do too much research.....

Cheers.

Sean.

The Shawplan windscreen frames make a big difference particularly to the Bachmann model who's windows are a bit on the small size. It took me an age to do one of my Bachmann class 47s. The fact that the lazerglaze for the Bachmann loco is too small doesn't help so that meant opening out the windows to fit the Heljan Lazerglaze windscreens. All done rather well by Jon020 of this parish in his blog. Fitting them to the Heljan model should be much easier. Just need the side window frames now!

post-13847-0-30792500-1349644103.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

seems everyone has gone 4mm scale now. my Heljan 47 is of the 7mm variety

Finally got out my tape measure out at the weekend in between trying to drive a 12 inch to the foot one on the GWR (my steering was pretty good!).

The main cab windows are 39 inches across, 24 deep in the middle where they meet and 23 1/2 at the outside. The top edge is actually straight, the bottom edge curves very slightly.

The gap above the drivers side windows and the gutter is 3.5 inches and 1 1/2 inches over the door (ie a lot less than the Heljan 7mm model as was originally suggested by Brian Daniels, I think).

My model is in storage at the moment so can't check how far out (or correct?!) the Heljan 7mm is.

Ian

post-7225-0-41907300-1350945989_thumb.jpg

post-7225-0-43402300-1350946001_thumb.jpg

Archived