Hornby & Peco Track

Guest Redskalie

If you are talking about set track for Peco then yes, but be aware things like point motors have different size connections.

Stream Line 100 also works but the points are designed for a different track spacing than set track points.

If your talking about anything other than a simple layout though , I think most people would tell you to avoid set track from either Hornby or Peco.

Hello Redskalie,

I was thinking of using Hornby Curves for the general outside track and then my sidings and platform straights i was going to use flexi track but on hattons they only sell peco flexi track so i was going to buy but didnt know if it would work with Hornby,

will this be ok then?

Thank you

Dan

I think most people would tell you to avoid set track from either Hornby or Peco.

Actually I don't think they would - although I am not a fan of Hornby set track myself I have used, do use and will most certainly continue to use Peco Code 100 setrack for my layouts. With the availability of free downloadable track templates you can plan your layouts with ease and flexitrack allows all sorts of configurations.

I have made more than my fair share of handbuilt track and pointwork in finescale too but judging by the amount of Peco and Hornby setrack we used to sell in the railway shop back in Wales the majority of modelers are very happy to use it.

Dan - I would suggest keeping to one system or the other as the rail profile of the two is slightly different and, depending on your rolling stock, you may notice issues on the transitions.

• RMweb Premium

You can use them in the way that you want to Dan. I assume that you already have the Hornby track from what you have said. If you do want to use track from the same manufacturer there are plenty of outlets that do sell the Hornby flexi stuff.

• RMweb Premium

If you want to be reasonably sure of avoiding problems either at the tracklaying stage or later when you run trains then the best advice is probably to decide on one brand and only use that brand.

To some extent it doesn't matter whether you use Hornby, Peco or anyone else's track, flexible or rigid. But when you try to mate different brands or (sometimes) flexi with fixed, you can encounter unexpected and frustrating problems. Personally I would recommend Peco Streamline (and using the flexible lengths as much as possible) in almost all cases and only suggest something else if it was going to produce a better result or Streamline could not for some reason be used at all.

If you are building a minimum space US layout and need setrak turnouts use the PECO ones - checkrails on Hornby turnouts are spaced more widely and will need shimming to operate properly with US pattern RP-25 wheelsets which will not be pulled over sufficiently far to not ride-up over frogs and de-rail

Archived