LNER angle truss coach underframes

Chris Higgs

I am seeking information on the angle truss underframes fitted to LNER 61'6" coaches after 1931-4. Specifically I am trying to find out the distance between the two queen posts. On the earlier truss rod underframes, this is shown as 10 feet on the drawing by Mike Trice. However, examination of photographs suggests this was shorter once the underframes switched to angle trussing, and certainly the Hornby model has this much reduced to around 8'6" - not given the manifold inaccuracies in this model would I put much store in that.

A bit of geomtery also suggests that the V hangers must be located closer to the trussing than they were on the truss rod undrerframes.

Annoyingly, I examined in detail a Gresley full brake at Buckfastleigh which was in a position where the underframe was accessable, however I did not seem to have noted down dimensions of the trussing.

Chris Higgs

• RMweb Premium

I am seeking information on the angle truss underframes fitted to LNER 61'6" coaches after 1931-4. Specifically I am trying to find out the distance between the two queen posts. On the earlier truss rod underframes, this is shown as 10 feet on the drawing by Mike Trice. However, examination of photographs suggests this was shorter once the underframes switched to angle trussing, and certainly the Hornby model has this much reduced to around 8'6" - not given the manifold inaccuracies in this model would I put much store in that.

A bit of geomtery also suggests that the V hangers must be located closer to the trussing than they were on the truss rod undrerframes.

Annoyingly, I examined in detail a Gresley full brake at Buckfastleigh which was in a position where the underframe was accessable, however I did not seem to have noted down dimensions of the trussing.

Chris Higgs

Hi Chris. I am going to the NRMs shortly to survey some items so could go and look at/measure the Gresleys they have if that's of any use?

36E

Hi Chris. I am going to the NRMs shortly to survey some items so could go and look at/measure the Gresleys they have if that's of any use?

36E

Thanks. I find that measuring the real thing is always the best choice, which is why I was annoyed with myself for passing up the chance when I had it. I have taken a lot of measurements off the Gresley rake on the SVR, but there is no access to the underframes when you are working with coaches stopped at a platform.

I am inclined to belive the 10' over the outside edges of the angles, given that the one official drawing I have (of the 51' underframe as found in the Harris books) seems to show 9'6" between the inside edges on that underframe - which is 10'1" overall given the angle steels are 3 1/2" each.

Chris

• Like 1

For an early welded underframe it is shown as 9'6.25" between posts on the drawing.

The riveted underframe shows 9'6" between upper cross members which allowing for the thickness of the steel angle section would result in around 9'6.25" for the riveted as well.

Well, I think that answers the question and thank you to all. I would therefore suppose this diemsnsion were also common across all the LNER angle truss underframes, such as those on the articulated stock.

One other related question which now occurs to me - was the distance between queenposts on a earlier truss-rod 51' underframe 10' as it was on the 60' underframe.

Chris Higgs

Well, I think that answers the question and thank you to all. I would therefore suppose this diemsnsion were also common across all the LNER angle truss underframes, such as those on the articulated stock.

Possibly not. It depends on the length of the articulated underframe.

One other related question which now occurs to me - was the distance between queenposts on a earlier truss-rod 51' underframe 10' as it was on the 60' underframe.

For the 60'0" underframe it is 10'0" between centres of the truss posts. For 51'0" I have a dimension of 8'7". From memory the battery boxes are the same length but the gap between the end of the battery box and truss post is different.

• Like 1

• 9 years later...

Coming back to this topic a few years on, I am about to order some angle from Eileen’s but would like to know the cross-section dimension, please. I note on the above 3 1/2” is mentioned.

Thank you,

Marcus

Here's a tip for those that want to super detail their LNER underframes.  Download the Kemilway manual:

https://www.kemilway.com/kemilway-manual.html

The kits are 7mm, but the information is valuable for 4mm as well I think.

These contain lots of drawings which can be scaled.  I used these to great effect when building my 7mm Kirk Gresley Full Brake.

John

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1