Motivation

The first thing I guess is to work out what space you have available, what scale you're working in, and if you have an era/region in mind (which may or may not be the same as your past modelling preferences, and therefore the stock that you have available to you).

Do you already have an idea but don't know how to set the track out? I use XtrackCAD (which is free) quite a lot to fiddle about with accurate plans, much better than scribbles on a bit of paper, and also saves lots of time consuming faffing around only to find out there's a board joint in the middle of your pointwork, your curves are far tighter than setrack R1, and you actually can't fit anything more than the loco itself in the station.

Thanks cromptonnut. Where can i get xtrackcad from? Sounds like a good program. Im 00 and want to do a western/ lmr region small layout.Late steam early diesel. But i cant find a track plan i like. What doesnt help had so many failed attemps at building a layout never to sure where to start.

Im 00 and want to do a western/ lmr region small layout.Late steam early diesel. But i cant find a track plan i like. What doesnt help had so many failed attemps at building a layout never to sure where to start.

"Where to get it" already answered - but as for the rest of your email, most of us have probably been there, done that, got the t-shirt on more than one occasion.

Do you have room for a roundy-roundy, or is a terminus more suited to your space?

There's loads of plans of real stations (signalling diagrams) here: http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php you might find something that grabs you - you can also search by region or company too. Of course you might need to adjust things to suit your space - shorten platform, remove a siding etc, but it's a good start and an interesting way of spending an hour or two.

My problem is moving from the planning stage to physical construction. Maybe a good idea is to find part of the project that is relatively easy to make a start on. I built a couple of the buildings on my current layout before I started putting track down. Having something tangible to start with helped the rest to follow.

Im 00 and want to do a western/ lmr region small layout.Late steam early diesel. But i cant find a track plan i like. What doesnt help had so many failed attemps at building a layout never to sure where to start.

You are fairly spoiled for choice. I guess you need to narrow it down a little bit so try to answer the following questions.

How much space do you have?

Do you want end-to-end or continuous run?

What key features do you want to include?

What stock do you want to run? You have said WR/MR but are branch line trains your thing or do you want crack expresses?

Once you have these questions answered you can start looking at suitable prototypes. Not that I am advocating modelling a specific location but most people put plans together by amalgamating features from various locations. I model N gauge but apart from that my interests cover the same period and location so feel free to PM me if you want some inspiration.

The other question is why your previous layouts failed? Was it the baseboard construction you struggled with (in which case buying pre-made baseboards could be a good investment)? Was it operating potential (in which case finding a good prototype will help)? Or did you bite off more than you could chew and try to model a large layout on your first attempt?

Hi well am looking for an end to end layout maximum length 10foot with the fiddle yard to be included in that length. Want to include a up and down line with 2 platforms and a small yard or a terminus station. But unsure how i can achive it. In the past i have bitten off more than i can chew for my first layout and wanted to include to much into a small space. Also it never looks how i want it to look so lose intrest in it, i no it aint going to be as good as pendon or other layouts you see at exibitions but want it to look good. But aslo want something that will be fun to operate:)

Which company would you use to make baseboards?

• RMweb Premium

I think that you are unable to find a plan that you want to build because you want to fit in more than is possible in the limited space that you have. In the 10ft that you have you will be able to fit in a platform of maybe 5ft which will allow you 3 coaches + a loco and room to release it. Getting in a second platform will make your first one even shorter, unless you want to build a traverser. Fitting in any form of running line will be difficult. You can get a goods yard in. You might need to be prepared to do some shunting in the fiddle yard area.

Hi well am looking for an end to end layout maximum length 10foot with the fiddle yard to be included in that length. Want to include a up and down line with 2 platforms and a small yard or a terminus station. But unsure how i can achive it. In the past i have bitten off more than i can chew for my first layout and wanted to include to much into a small space. Also it never looks how i want it to look so lose intrest in it, i no it aint going to be as good as pendon or other layouts you see at exibitions but want it to look good. But aslo want something that will be fun to operate:)

10 feet is just about enough for a modest terminus - fiddle yard layout. Keeping it campact for your first effort is probably a good idea.

You want a twin track line with a 2 platform terminus that is fun to operate. That should be just about feasible although you will probably need a traverser-type fiddle yard as I don't think you will have enough room for a bank of sidings.

I suggest buying (or getting from your library) a copy of Iain Rice's "Designs for Urban Layouts". One of his plans in this book is "Harestone" (based on C.J. Freezer's classic Minories). This is a 00 layout with a twin track line, 2-platform terminus and a coal siding for a bit of freight. The layout is 6'6" long with platforms about 4'6" long. If you add 4'6" for a fiddle yard that would give you a total length of about 11'. It looks a good fun layout to build and operate with only modest scenic requirements.

Does that sound like it fits your bill?

• RMweb Gold

I find that it is useful not to set my sights too high. I see some absolutely stunning layouts at exhibitions, but I accept the fact that I can't achieve such dizzy heights without an awful lot of practice, therefore the layout I'm building is a practice run. I've used all manner of information from this very forum to get where I've got; absolutely nowhere near exhibition standard, but my baseboard construction, track laying and ballasting is improving all the time.

It's taken me 4 years to get 3 out of 7 baseboard built, but I've built a loco shed with office block, mucked about with loco kits (resin bodied diesels), and I'm quite pleased with myself, even though I wouldn't dream of 'showing and telling' because there are people with more skills and abilities than I who can contribute much more to this forum than I can.

My recommendation is to gird your loins with cheap girders and have a go, and be proud of your efforts - this is a hobby which is supposed to bring enjoyment, after all.

Guest jim s-w

Im 00 and want to do a western/ lmr region small layout.Late steam early diesel.

Hi Earl B

Can I ask why you want to do western/LMR? Genuine question

Cheers

Jim

Well my favorite line is the central wales line in particularly the Swansea end of the line. Which had LMR engines and later when the western region took control western engines. Also really like western engines and lmr engines?

The Cambrian coast could be intersting too as it went the other way. Moguls and Manors giving way to Ivatts and Standard 4s.

Guest jim s-w

Hi Earl B

Sounds like you do know where to start then - Swansea area? Think of a layout like the place you would like to go back to if you could and model what you knew. I find you will always have more enthusiasm for a place if its somewhere you once stood.

Look at my own efforts - no one in the right mind would think of New Street in the 80's as a nice place to model!

Cheers

Jim

Thanks Jim, i have been looking for as much info as possible so i could model a certain location on the central wales line or might use a bit of artistic licence and create a fictitious station that could have been on the line. Its just the case of finding a plan i can fit into the space i got which is 10foot by 2foot which i have to get a fiddle yard or cassette of some kind in.

Also Kris is XTrkCAD free to download and use? Also do you just download it and are able to use it straight off?

Thanks

Archived