best class 47 sound?

Mark 37

What I meant was do they have to be hard wired or are they a simple plug in

DC Snr

Any, at customer choice. Zimo decoders come with any of the standard plugs fitted to them, or in bare wires.

Customisable via CV settings; there are considerably more CV's with a Zimo than any other decoder I know. I suggest you get the Zimo manuals (www.zimo.at website) and think about using a computer to setup the CV's.

- Nigel

fortunatly I have a spare base reflex waiting around to be used.

Best regards,

Mark

Don't forget it needs to be an 8ohm speaker, not a 100 ohm one as used with Loksound Decoders.

When I bought my Zimo decoder from Digitrains at Doncaster they supplied me with a recangular speaker which I had to connect myself. No problem, just connect the two purple wires (the spare wire is brown - opposite way on to Loksound). I soldered the wires on but given the tags on the speaker have loops in them you could just thread the wires through and twist them tight (I did this for initial test). No sound box was included I adapted a Loksound rectangular box.

Don't forget it needs to be an 8ohm speaker, not a 100 ohm one as used with Loksound Decoders.

When I bought my Zimo decoder from Digitrains at Doncaster they supplied me with a recangular speaker which I had to connect myself. No problem, just connect the two purple wires (the spare wire is brown - opposite way on to Loksound). I soldered the wires on but given the tags on the speaker have loops in them you could just thread the wires through and twist them tight (I did this for initial test). No sound box was included I adapted a Loksound rectangular box.

Hhhhmmmm,

I can only presume I have the wrong speaker. I had been given it with the words, "it will work with Loksound". There are no identifiying marks. Oh well, on the hunt for a speaker I guess.

Thanks for the information though. It will come in handy.

Best regards,

Mark

A LokSound 3.5 compatible 100ohm speaker will work on a Zimo chip without harm, though the sound quality will be poor. I've used such to test a sound load and decoder update (using a 21pin Zimo decoder in a class 20 which normally has a LokSound. It was wierd driving a steam powered class 20 !)

A Zimo compatible 8ohm speaker will not work on a LokSound 3.5 decoder. Do not try it, ever !

There are an awful lot of 8 ohm speakers around for the US market - Tsunami's use them - plus the tiny "cube" used by CT Elektronik if space is tight.

Following the favourable comments about my 47 above I've uploaded three more videos to highlight the features that I try to program into all my chips;

Demonstration of new sounds plus start-up, playable horns & shutdown;

Demonstration of controllability & playable horns. Try doing this with your Howes / SWD / Bachmann chip and see how you get on;

Demonstration of moving at idle and engine notches;

Bif

I want to fit a bass speaker in the fuel tank to my Bachmann spoon with cab light switches in the fuel tank . Anyone know who could move the switching to dcc for me? Olivias werent keen on the idea . Other than lack of bass (at the mo) the Howes one sounds great.

Well I've just fitted a Zimo MX642 to my LtdE Windsor Castle.

I used a bass enhanced speaker (nothing special) as the bass reflex were out of stock in all the sites I new to try. I did remove the fans and mounted the speaker in the slot in the chassis (don't think the fans needed to come out). Due to problems (mentioned on another thread) with screws I removed them, because I did not think I would get access again.

I have to say though, I am totaly impressed and will be getting more as funds become available. I'm waiting on the camcorder to charge then I'll do a small video which I'll post in due coarse.

As I said above I am far from disapointed.:dance_mini:

Thanks to everyone who took the time to post, it helped no end.:good_mini:

Best regards,

Mark

What I like about Howes is there seems to be two ways the sound is reproduced.

Howes, Like Bachmann/SWD or Hornby software, If you accelerate slowly or normally the sound loops progress step by step but if you start slowly with Howes then gun it, the software seems to switch to "hellfire" mode. If you get the acceleration CVs right or use the "Momentum" settings on the NCE controller (I use Momentum 8 which is equal to CV3 set at 64 on an ESU/Bachmann decoder, and on this setting the engine takes around 50-60 seconds to reach full speed) you can really create the effect of the driver laying a little power down to get it moving and then dumping amps on the motors! and all you have to do is tap a couple of power steps in then max it out a second or two later!

• 4 weeks later...

Well I've managed to get my video loaded up to YouTube at last.

Sorry if the function keys are activated in the wrong order, this DCC sound driving is all new to me. You will notice some of the function keys have been used at the begining, just to show the sounds off a little better without engine noise to muffle or drown them out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Mn646fhG0

Hope it's of use to some.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Big thumbs up :rolleyes: Delighted with my "legomanbiffo" reblown 47 as shown earlier in this thread. Excellent drivability and control, with the sound matching the movements. Love the "playable horns" . Also had a 26 reblown - it's awesome - check out the vids of it here = http://www.youtube.com/user/legomanbiffo#p/u/11/bYq28FL-sbQ

Highly recommended

Ken

Please do not use the 'Rely quoting this post button' just to make a simple comment.

Mod5

Now have a V4 Howes chip in Heljan repainted 47503 The Geordie in LLB and it's a step up again. Sound quality via 4 ohm 28mm round speaker is awesome. Not wanting to start another game of who's is better ping pong. I like the playable horns on Legomans, and the sound is great too, and if you want them on Howes just ask. Bryans v4 Peak (which is also awesome BTW) has the very same. On the subject of the Peak I had been totally underwhelmed by Bachmann's 'factory effort' only moderately more impressed with original Howes one until the v4 came along. Many bemused/amused faces when it thundered up on Airthrey Park on a 'railtour' at last show. Memories of Sheffield Midland from university days came flooding back.

I've heard that people have managed to fit 28mm speakers in their 47's but with the Bachmann one there doesn't seem to be enough room (in the tanks at least, which is where I'd like to put one). Has anyone had any success in that department? I've never been happy with the feeble narrow bass enhanced in mine (in between the tank sides, facing down). It might be better with a 4 ohm version and a v4 chip but I suspect it still wouldn't stand up against a 28mm for low-end performance. Where did you fit the 28mm in your Heljan one?

I think a bit of friendly rivalry doesn't do any harm, we all try that bit harder and the end result is great loco sounds for everyone. I have a lot of respect for Bryan and his work.

Hi Biff

Thought these pics may be of help to you. Was my 1st sound fitted loco from 2007. Heljan with early SWD Lok V3.0 ? I think. 2 x 28mm Lok speakers. Very powerful sound, CV63 normally turned down to 50 is more than loud enough! The speaker enclosure at the fan end requires the top edges filed off, with both enclosures reduced in depth, roughly by the thickness of the mounting legs. At the fan end a 23mm speaker would probably fit with no mods ? The early SWD 47 chip has a good start up/idle and initial power up, but that's about all - no top-end. Just noticed the chassis has a hair-line crack just above the motor housing on one side :O not sure how long that's been there, possibly from new ?

Regards

Ken

post-2215-0-43848100-1304261240_thumb.jpg

post-2215-0-62641300-1304261263_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Biff

Thought these pics may be of help to you. Was my 1st sound fitted loco from 2007. Heljan with early SWD Lok V3.0 ? I think. 2 x 28mm Lok speakers. Very powerful sound, CV63 normally turned down to 50 is more than loud enough! The speaker enclosure at the fan end requires the top edges filed off, with both enclosures reduced in depth, roughly by the thickness of the mounting legs. At the fan end a 23mm speaker would probably fit with no mods ? The early SWD 47 chip has a good start up/idle and initial power up, but that's about all - no top-end. Just noticed the chassis has a hair-line crack just above the motor housing on one side :O not sure how long that's been there, possibly from new ?

Regards

Ken

Our (my) technique is much the same although one speaker is more then enough with a 28mm round and v4 decoder. If you run 2 you'll only have to turn the volume down so defeats the object IMHO. I always fit shawplan etched fans to the 47 fleet as without them they don't cut it for me. MAke a bridge across chassis with a thin Plastikard strip and glue the speaker enclosure to Platikard with a wipe of liquid poly type stuff. It is best to shave the open end of the speaker enclosure by a 1mm to ensure body sits down properly (a common Heljan issue) Otherwise much the same as Scotlands for me...... :yahoo:

• 4 years later...

Hi Bob,

My personal favourite is Pauliebanger's on a Zimo decoder, from Digitrains.

They're now selling the 3rd incarnation of Paul's sounds, which includes dynamic braking, (magic).

I've had a 2-tone green Heljan for about 3 years now, - it is modelled on one I can actually hear now, from my house in Bury, where East Lancs Railway run number 1501.

I have modified the innards quite a bit, replacing the lighting with tiny LED's, (why do the Dutch like grain of wheat bulbs?), and putting 2 x 28mm bass enhanced speakers in Pauliebanger's design housings over the gear-wells.

Like all Hejan's it's a good runner, and the addition of mucho Capacitor, stuffed into the tunnels alongside the cardan shafts keeps it running forever!

Regards,

Alan.

Archived