Ratio coach conversions

Although I'm a dedicated Midland man I like building visiting saloons etc. I've got my eye on a GWR Shirescenes saloon conversion for a Ratio 4 wheel brake third. I've read that Mainly Trains do an under carriage brass detailing kit and an end detailing kit. These would appear to provide brass floors; solebars and ends. In which case does this make the buying of the Ratio kit redundant? Like buying a new broom and replacing both the head and the handle?

Has anyone had experience building such a conversion?

Thanks

Although I'm a dedicated Midland man I like building visiting saloons etc. I've got my eye on a GWR Shirescenes saloon conversion for a Ratio 4 wheel brake third. I've read that Mainly Trains do an under carriage brass detailing kit and an end detailing kit. These would appear to provide brass floors; solebars and ends. In which case does this make the buying of the Ratio kit redundant? Like buying a new broom and replacing both the head and the handle?

Essentially yes. You would have to source a lot of bits – like roof, door/grab handles, brake gear, gas tanks, gas lamp tops, buffers/couplings, axleboxes/springs, interior (you'd have to provide that anyway). Most of those bit probably ought to be replaced anyway, even if you're building a Ratio kit.

I have a few of these things sitting in my 'to do' pile....

Essentially yes. You would have to source a lot of bits – like roof, door/grab handles, brake gear, gas tanks, gas lamp tops, buffers/couplings, axleboxes/springs, interior (you'd have to provide that anyway). Most of those bit probably ought to be replaced anyway, even if you're building a Ratio kit.

I have a few of these things sitting in my 'to do' pile....

The door/grab handles are in the Shirescenes kits, while the gas tanks and axleboxes/springs (and buffers?) are in the Mainly Trains kit.

I tend to use the Slaters non-corridor coach seats for the interiors, and you will need roof, ventilators, and couplings from somewhere. If you are going to spend the money for the MT chassis, the incremental cost of a Ratio kit (especially if second-hand) is not that significant.

Adrian

Ratio used to supply parts separately. I'm not sure if they still do, but it might be worth an enquiry.

The buffers need replacing at least, as Ratio's are rather wimpy.* MJT do nice castings with steel heads of the correct 2' type.

*They break off very easily as well as being undernourished (as do the ends of the footboards.

It would appear that axleguards need to be sourced, along with the footboards.

Lots of bits and the detailing kit here http://www.mainlytrains.co.uk/acatalog/by-mai-mainlytrainsmiscsupplierspage2.html

Archived