Building a North Eastern Q5/2

mikemeg

• RMweb Premium

I have been approached before about scaling up my 4mm etches to 7mm, It is possible but of course there are no castings to go with them. I don't know the frame widths used in 7mm but the P4 and EM gauges would scale to 28mm and 26.25mm. Whether the rest would work is pure conjecture. The material thicknesses would I assume be 28thou and 18thou (true scale would be 49thou and 21thou). All slots would be pretty sloppy which is a thing that I hate.

Comments please.

ArthurK

I have been approached before about scaling up my 4mm etches to 7mm, It is possible but of course there are no castings to go with them. I don't know the frame widths used in 7mm but the P4 and EM gauges would scale to 28mm and 26.25mm. Whether the rest would work is pure conjecture. The material thicknesses would I assume be 28thou and 18thou (true scale would be 49thou and 21thou). All slots would be pretty sloppy which is a thing that I hate.

Comments please.

ArthurK

Arthur,

I "blew up" the LRM LNWR Jubilee from 4mm to 7mm for John Shelley of Fourtrack Models. As it was drawn using CorelDraw it wasn't too difficult to amend fold line widths, tabs, slots sizes, etc. The biggest problem is that you may have to lay out the artwork again to get the best fit on the etch material sheet. I didn't, so there was a lot of wastage around the edges.

However, most of the work is done, and when you look at how 7mm kits are priced, you could be on a winner.

Jol

• RMweb Premium

Arthur,

I "blew up" the LRM LNWR Jubilee from 4mm to 7mm for John Shelley of Fourtrack Models. As it was drawn using CorelDraw it wasn't too difficult to amend fold line widths, tabs, slots sizes, etc. The biggest problem is that you may have to lay out the artwork again to get the best fit on the etch material sheet. I didn't, so there was a lot of wastage around the edges.

However, most of the work is done, and when you look at how 7mm kits are priced, you could be on a winner.

Jol

I use Freehand rather than CorelDraw but again it would be easy to adjust bend line thicknesses if necessary. Slots are not so easy as the are defined as vector paths. As you say rearranging the pieces would be necessary for optimal use of material but I suspect that that may not be worthwhile considering the likely number of sales.

I had a half hearted attempt to scale up the J73 but gave up on that.

ArthurK

Apologies Arthur, I know I sound like a stuck record with this but your range is fantastic and there a distinct lack of NE 7mm kits avaliable. I have built George Norton kits and recently a D&S kit which were both blow ups from 4mm I believe and there was a slight slop in the slots but this can be easily overcome with little effort and I was pleased with the finished result.

ATB Mick

Seen working tender first through Hessle Haven, a Q5/2. Still looking quite smart despite its imminent withdrawal (in fact the railway is set in June 1950 and I think this loco was withdrawn at the end of 1949) as it drags a load of coal into Hull.

Still some weathering to do but this is a fairly long process for me, taking it little by little.

I've just begun to make the baseboards for the next section of the railway so, hopefully, I can restart the Hessle Haven thread in the not too distant future. The trains can then run under the bridge and continue to run, at least for another two hundred and fifty scale yards.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-15836300-1348150962.jpg

More pictures would be good

Give me a few days to do some more weathering, Mick (I'm still very much learning how to use these MIG powders and the other various weathering techniques) and I'll post up some more photos.

Has this thread, or Arthur's own thread, convinced you to build one of these yet, Mick?

This isn't a difficult kit to build; in fact it will be somewhat easier in 'EM' or 'OO' than in P4, largely due to the greater clearances in those gauges, especially if the chassis is built without springing. The prototypes had some clearances, between the motion and the slide bars, of only 1/2" so Arthur has added a few thou of clearance, here and there, to provide working clearances for the model, in P4.

Like all of Arthur's kits, there are frame spacers for each of 'OO', 'EM' and P4 and where parts sit across the mainframes, there are etched lines to indicate any removal of metal for the narrower gauges. Similarly, Arthur provides two sets of coupling rods - one set to be built articulated and an alternative set to be built rigid. Even the brake yokes, linking each pair of brakes under the mainframes, are provided separately for 'OO' and for EM/P4.

I probably should have said more about the 'OO' and 'EM' build options through the thread but as I built this to P4 (and please don't get any ideas that I'm a P4 'zealot'; I'm not) then I did focus on the build for that gauge.

Cheers

Mike

• 1 year later...

And finally, after a very considerable intervening time, the Q5/2 now looks as it probably would have looked just prior to its withdrawal. I guess I could keep on weathering this, ad infinitum, with each successive stage making it look more and more tired and weary.

I'm a great fan of digital photography but it can be very revealing. That boiler handrail will be straightened before any more photos are taken, though by this time in its life, there was very little straight and square on this loco!

So, on an early morning, some time in 1949 and not long before its withdrawal, Q5/2 No 3305 sets out from Hull, under the shipyard bridge at Hessle Haven on a train of mineral empties bound for Gascoigne Wood, near Selby. Will it reach its destination or will it expire before it does?

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-14741800-1409575867_thumb.jpg

Well it did manage to get to Gascoigne Wood marshalling yard, with its load of empties, after which it retired to Selby shed. The good folk in Selby shed, fearing that they might be stuck with this loco pending its withdrawal, swiftly coaled it, turned it and replenished its tender with water before sending it back out to Gascoigne Wood to take forty five fully loaded with coal, back to Hull.

It lives to work another day!

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-34264400-1409648836_thumb.jpg

Dairycoates shed, spotting that this loco was missing its side window glazing, dutifully obliged and fitted some. So now it makes its way back to its home shed to await its fate, carefully avoidng the eagle eyed signalman in Hessle Haven signal box who would have disallowed this loco from going any further until it sported the appropriate lamps!

Tom Foster; you could have one or two of these on your Thirsk layout. And with your timescale setting (mid to late 1930's) they wouldn't have to look grimy, tired and weary, as this one does.

They do make up into lovely models, Arthur's kits, and they really do capture that 'feel' of North Eastern locos.

Cheers

Mike

post-3150-0-98939100-1409915464_thumb.jpg

Archived