• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't normally do advance announcements but here goes.

For those interested, work is currently underway to produce a post war Sentinel 100hp in 4mm and 7mm scale with release aimed towards the end of the year.

post-8628-0-00026400-1335527845.jpg

The aim is to have a etched nickel silver body, (designing the cab will be interesting!) will feature a custom designed twin axle gearbox from High Level for the 4mm scale version.

Measurements and photographing was carried out last year with help from a member.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 9

...For those interested, work is currently underway to produce a post war Sentinel 100hp in 4mm and 7mm scale with release aimed towards the end of the year...

Judging by the lamenting of the old Impetus kit on the other thread, this one is going to be popular. I assume the gearbox will be similar to the High Level custom design for the CSP Radstock Sentinel? That one works very well and, because of the short wheelbase, even works as a rigid design in P4 with only minor changes in assembly.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Actually the gearbox/drive train will be a seperate unit with compensation having spoken with both Chris and Roger of High Level and CSP respectively.

Following from a question on another thread, the bunker will a optional extra so you can have a plain backed sentinel.

Is there any preserved as i've only come across the over hanging coal bunker versions so far?

Actually the gearbox/drive train will be a seperate unit with compensation having spoken with both Chris and Roger of High Level and CSP respectively...

Now that sounds interesting. When I assembled my CSP chassis I'd thought that it should be possible to design it with one rocking axle but the layout of the idler gears prevented it. I look forward to seeing this design.

Nick

ps just noticed this Judith Edge Ruston with a compensated High Level box. Is this more like what you intend?

Edited by buffalo

Hello.

I have just started drawing one of those up in 2mm scale for etching at some point.

That leads me onto a question, why are kits like that usually done in 4mm and 7mm scale and not 2mm scale? There are people out there that can build things like that to 2mm scale and would love to make one (myself included), its why I started to draw it up....

Missy :)

• Like 1

Hello.

I have just started drawing one of those up in 2mm scale for etching at some point.

That leads me onto a question, why are kits like that usually done in 4mm and 7mm scale and not 2mm scale? There are people out there that can build things like that to 2mm scale and would love to make one (myself included), its why I started to draw it up....

It really is a tiny niche market though. I think the only way to approach this is for a group interested in buying several to approach the manufacturer directly and ask for a run of etches.

Perhaps another factor is that cast detail parts in whitemetal etc can only be cost effectively produced in 4mm and 7mm scale. The added buying power of these markets makes these cast parts cost-effective to produce. Some people who perhaps model in N gauge or dabble in 2mm could then be put off by attempting to produce fittings or cast parts themselves where they are not available from N Brass locos etc.

Paul A

why are kits like that usually done in 4mm and 7mm scale and not 2mm scale?

It is easier to produce a kit in 7mm than 4mm or 2mm. You can always scale down the drawings later - but if you scale up from 2mm to 7mm you just get a pretty naive kit with all the details missing. Of course these days with CAD it is perhaps simple just to put everything in and ignore the small bits on the fret for 2mm. Note that is in no way implying that 2mm kits are simple in comparison - they are not.

Of course 4mm is the most popular scale covering a wide range of gauges including some narrow gauge options. 7mm kits should sell at a premium usualy totally disproportionate to the amount of metal they contain (for most suppliers). Also there are possibly fewer 2mm modellers out there up for the challenge.

Of course a prototype like this is going to feel like a 2mm kit to those more normally comfortable building the likes of a Standard in 4mm.

There's at least three. This one - http://www.flickr.co...N06/6544664193/ - at the Elsecar Railway, another at the West Somerset Railway (in bits scattered around Williton yard), and a third, 9373, at the Ribble Steam Railway at Preston.

A full list of surviving Sentinel locomotives can be found here:

http://www.sentinelw...OSUV Sheet1.pdf

Adam

Am I silly, but it would appear that the one that was at NRM isn't on the list? It's nameplate is Frank Galbraith, and a quick scan doesn't show it on the STN list above by name. (it may well be on there by number though). Clearly a post war engine...

6972739250_ac52624c2c.jpg

100_0846 by Peach James, on Flickr

Oh, and if I can find the coin, I will order one of the kits. (its that $$$ thing, there are a lot of things which compete for it, unfortunately)

James

For those interested, work is currently underway to produce a post war Sentinel 100hp in 4mm and 7mm scale with release aimed towards the end of the year.

Measurements and photographing was carried out last year with help from a member.

Yes very interested - as long as it's etched nickel-silver and not resin. I've a few extra's I want to fit internally for a future project so as much room as possible, hence my aversion to resin.

As far as I remember the one at Ribble Steam, St Monans, is a straight back cab. It's local to me if you need any photo's or dimensions.

Were there any GA drawings available from the Sentinels Drivers club archive? I'm after a good GA and wondered if you had a reference number? I did find a short article in the Model Engineer, dated 11th January 1955, on the 100HP Sentinel. This is a 4 page article with a rather nice 2 page simplified GA drawing with all the essential dimensions. The magazine was A5 format so the plans are A4, they are very similar in detail to Figure 145 in the Sentinel book but much better quality and I can read the dimensions! I hope this helps.

Adrian (and Robert, for that matter) - St. Monans does indeed have the vertical cab back - I mentioned this a few posts up. The chap to ask about GAs is probably Andy Chapman who is restoring the pre-war ex Croydon Gasworks machine Joyce who is the Sentinel Drivers' Club rep for locomotives and who helped Roger Slade with his kit for the S&D machines. Contact via his blog, here:

http://sentinel7109.blogspot.co.uk/p/warm-welcome.html

Adam

The chap to ask about GAs is probably Andy Chapman [snip...] Contact via his blog, here:

Thanks for that, I'm already subscribed to his blog. With him restoring a D.E. version I never thought to contact him but will make tentative enquiries.

• RMweb Gold

ps just noticed this Judith Edge Ruston with a compensated High Level box. Is this more like what you intend?

Yes the high level gearbox you've shown will be based on that if not the same?

Partly because with 2mm scale, its not something that can easily be built so does put alot of people off but not all obviously.

If someone did want something that was a etch, all you have to do is ask a i did a while ago a S scale austerity chassis but just awaiting to hear how it went before he wants more.

Sometimes it can take a while because of money.

The title of RT models was changed last year to reflect the various scales it will cater for, about to do some continental coaches in N gauge for a friend soon so that will be fun for me as they are stainless steel!

I am a very busy person at the moment which leads me to my next post..................

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

heres a quick update after i got a set of test etches over the weekend.

For 4mm scale, 009 gauge, a un-announched loco kit.

The Shotton Steel works/Statfold Barn railway Hudswell Badger.

The etches allow for either SBR Badger or un-restored 50 at the railway.

The test build of the major parts has gone well as you can see in the photos which still lots of detailing still required so hopefully it should be released in a few weeks with a retail price of no more than £30.

post-8628-0-11096100-1335792086.jpg

post-8628-0-18280500-1335791982.jpg

Basic body structure

post-8628-0-24907900-1335791987.jpg

post-8628-0-71234800-1335791990.jpg

post-8628-0-69804500-1335791994.jpg

The kit is designed to fit onto the N gauge Grham Farish class 03 or 04 chassis.

If you think the kit looks impressive, wait till the 7mm scale version comes out with its own chassis kit!

There is also to be released in 4mm scale a small detailing etch for GWR pannier tank sandbox pull rods.

post-8628-0-16161300-1335792319.jpg

The test etch for the 4mm scale rebuilt bulleid pacific lubricator and manifold wheels has come out very well and these will replace the Albert Goodall cast versions in due course.

Also the 4mm manning wardle Old Class I will now feature a etched firebox to give more room for fitting a vertical motor based on building mine but will still contain the cast version.

Better crack on with the K class now.

I think i need a lay down before i go to work after all this!

• Like 4

Were there any GA drawings available from the Sentinels Drivers club archive? I'm after a good GA and wondered if you had a reference number? I did find a short article in the Model Engineer, dated 11th January 1955, on the 100HP Sentinel.

I have a drawing from the December 1987 issue of 'Scale Model Trains'. Detailed side and front elevations in 1:32 scale, 7mm, 4mm and 1:148 scale. The rear bunker is shown dotted.

Andy

(apologies to Robert for hi-jacking his thread. That Hudswell looks tasty!)

Edited by 2mm Andy

A quick update on the Foxfield Sentinel, it has had a cosmetic overhaul since the photo was taken and is now the subject of interest regarding a return to steam.

I will try and post a photo of the Sentinel shortly if I get chance from driving Florence on Saturday at Foxfield.

• RMweb Gold

If i can get hold of the information i would consider it, i know one person is meant to be trying to find out for me.

How about some coil wagons to go with the Badger Robert?

Put me down for one.