Ready made buildings

pharro

I have recently bourght a lyddle end coaling stage and I am happy with it. I just carnt help but feel it's cheeting as all I have to do is take it out the box. I will weather it but compared to some kits I have built and scratchbuilt there was just nothing to it.

It is just what I was after for my layout and fits in well but is it being lazy or does it matter am I cheating.

• RMweb Gold

If its just what you wanted then I dont see how it can be cheating! - and you are going to make it your own by weathering, and also how you position in your layout.

- some people have their whole layout built for them!

its about what time you want to put in and which bits you can save time to do something better with other bits, the general problem with 'ready to plonk' buildings is that there isnt always one that suits, so do you make do with something thats 50-75% what you wnat or build your own?

I don't see it as cheating, anymore than buying your locos from Bacmann/Hornby/Hejan or any other RTR supplier, or pouring your ballast or grass out of bag from Woodland Scenics/etc, or buying your controller from ...

This is a hobby you don't have to make everything from scratch or spent matches and old baked bean tins.

Time is the most precious thing that we all have and if using RTR and RTP saves time and gets you to the point of contentment with your layout then so be it. Perhaps those that whinge and carp on about not using them or having to cover everything in so called "weathering" have plenty of time on their hands to take that approach, just enjoy doing it, take other short cuts, but it is what you want from the hobby that matters.

Pharro,

I felt exactly the same recently when I bought the Mason Arms Public House instead of scratch building my own design. I chickened out of building my own because it is in a very prominent position and I felt I could not do it justice. I have customised its surroundings and I intend to insert some interior details and lighting. Perhaps adding some workmen and tools would help personalise your coaling stage?

Harold.

• RMweb Gold

You could wear a hairshirt and sleep on a bed of nails if you want. Its a hobby if the result pleases you use it. If its going to niggle you build your own but don't expect a pat on the back for doing so. Its the results that you will be judged on (assuming others see it).

dON

• RMweb Gold

RTP structures these days sell like hot-cakes because many are really rather good. Many people plonk them and forget their origin - why not? Others use them as "near-enough" placeholders - and also forget their origin in time.

If you feel bad about it, then put a scratchbuilt replacement on your "to-do" list. That way you have an honourable intention to improve what you have, but if it never gets done due to higher priorities the RTP feature will remain good enough.

Don't beat yourself up over trivia - this hobby can provide real angst if you're not careful!

Guest jim s-w

Hi Pharro

Theres no cheating, its a hobby. Look at it like this.

1 - if the RTP thing is exactly what you would have made anyway and in your opinion its of a consistent standard to the rest of the layout, you would be mad to not use it.

2 - If its not what you wanted but close or the standard is worse than the rest of your stuff then it could be seen as lazy to use it. Chances are if this is the case it will bug you anyway and you will end up replacing it at some point.

I dont know why, to some, it matters how something is arrived at. Consistency (IMHO) is the main thing you want. How you get there really doesnt matter.

HTH

Jim

I just carnt help but feel it's cheeting as all I have to do is take it out the box
I carnt help feeling you're beating yourself up over this liddle thing. If you feel the same about tipping rtr locos and rolling stock out of boxes, try mexican mushrooms, then scare yourself silly with a bungy jump or think about your worst coffee experience.....;)

Does it "fit" where you want?

Is it suitable for what you need?

Is it better than what you could do?

:unknw_mini::crazy_mini::cray_mini:

One could go round and round but in the end if it floats enough boats and ticks enough boxes then blow the cheating malarkey and enjoy!

The fact that these things exist and are getting better and better is great in that it enables one to get on with other things.

If one of the manufacturers brings out a half decent GCR derived signal box or a few buildings that could convincingly be used for a crappy, mucked up city scape then I'm buying!

Yes they may get tweaked but essentially if I then have more time for stock and haulage beasties then bring it on.......:dance_mini:

It's partly a price thing for me. I'll spend a hundred quid on a loco (well, £99 on a weathered 7F at Watford last week), but baulk at going over £20 for a coach, and certainly over that for a building.

For me it's the loco that comes first, then the train and only then the buildings and scenery. Must be , cos' I still haven't got round to the last two on my "layout"!

Ed

I wouldn't say I was loesing sleep over this as it is a very good model. I just wanted to see what peoples opinions where. "ready to plonk" I have never heard that before but I like it.

I do feel you can put as much into this hobby as you like and as I have 2 small children time is defferntly short.

I will place some tools and some workmen perhaps this will make it more individual thanks for the tip. I guess one problem with RTP is people may say "yeah I got the same on mine".

How many people on here use RTP.

How many people on here use RTP.

Personally I do not use RTP but I have no problem with people who do. For me the reason is that different buildings from different manufacturers tend to have different shades on brickwork etc. If you look at photos then you notice that buildings built around the same time are usually of the same tone and shade.

By painting myself I find it easier to get a scene that "fits" well to my eye.

However this is nothing to do with distain for RTP, many of the models I have seen look very nice indeed. Also it is partly due to my modelling skills. I am better at painting than I am at mechanical or electrical work. I can turn out quite a nicely painted engine shed but my first attempt at a kitbuilt steam engine waddles like an arthritic duck, even though it is using a modified RTR chassis. :(

In short, I try to invest my efforts where I feel the results will be the best. If there is something I am not so good at then I will happily buy a product out of a box without any guilt.

Archived