Vallejo matt varnish

Hi Ode Pals,

I've been looking for a matt varnish and, after reading responses, reviews, etc ordered some of the above.

I tried it first on a Morris Minor PO van.

The result was matt but, well, a bit reptilian! Sort of a scaly effect.

What happened? Did I not shake the can enough (21/2 min), should I have washed the van first, spray too close, spray too far?

Thanks in advance.

Oldrocker.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like the orange peel effect due to cold and moisture. Best conditions for any spraying is warm and dry, in a heated room is ok as long as you have adequate ventilation, usually a spray booth with an extractor is best. You can make an extractor using a length of flexi tube usually used for tumble driers and a fan that can be sealed on one end to suck the noxious fumes away and out of a window.

Be very careful heating spray cans as if you overdo it the can will explode. The plastic valve on the top is the usual failure. You not only have a very large amount of noxious fumes you also have to explain it to the domestic authority which can be much worse. Never put it on a radiator or in boiling water.

Thanks for the replies.

I think that cold is the cause. The varnish was at room temperature but, because of 'certain considerations of a domestic nature', I sprayed the van in the car port.

Hence the cold drying conditions.

I'll try another soon indoors !

Archived