Kernow Hymek Book set ND084Z D7048

D826

Hydraulic experts,

came across this yesterday ; http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/33927/ND084Z_Dapol_Platinum_Class_35_Hymek_Diesel_Locomotive_Book_Set

D7048 in two tone green with BR coming and going arrows, is that a genuine livery ? - I haven't previously seen any documentary evidence to show that to be the case - I've seen it in early blue with white window surrounds and small yellow panel in pictures from March 67 - and there's plenty of piccies showing it in two tone green with the British Railways lion and wheel emblem from earlier.

Did this livery variation exist in reality ?

Matt W

Not sure about the livery, but why do Kernow refer to this as a "book set"? Do they mean "box"?

Various other Dapol-sourced small sets have been referred to as Book cased sets - the Hymek and milk tanks for one. It seems to be the term they use for a set comprising a train, but no track or controllers.

Not sure about the livery, but why do Kernow refer to this as a "book set"? Do they mean "box"?

I thought they meant book because the boxes effectively have a front cover that opens like a book.. Its basically the equivalent of a Hornby Train Pack instead of train set.

I have a feeling that such a livery variation should see the book listed under fiction.

Geoff Endacott

Superb Geoff,

it was a new one on me, and while I have been prepared to be surprised, none of my reference books suggest any such livery existed so I thought I'd see what the hydraulic cognescenti on here thought.

Given the 7048 did appear in blue with small yellow end panels and with the original off white surrounds, I wonder if that's what was intended and someone just had a bad day - I suppose we all have.

Pity, since I am after a motored Hymek - (perplexed by the dummy strategy with the Dapol Hymek since while it was not unknown, they weren't exactly common double heading).

thanks

Matt W

Dapol issued this set as a special available to N'thusiasts Club members, describing it as, 'a Book Set containing a UNIQUE Hymek (D7048) with 5 Hoppers' - capitalisation as Dapol's circular to club members.

Thanks Wobbly Bob - 'Unique' it certainly appears to be.

Can't help wondering if someone had a bad day somewhere, since small yellow panels/blue/white cab surrounds with double arrow would be fine for 7048.

Nothing wrong with a bit of fantasy, and one could always renumber.

Fictitious liveries on Hymeks put me in mind of the two 'Big Big Train' Hymeks I had in the early 70's - one was bright yellow with a black roof, and the other which I think, went by the name of 'The Blue Flyer' and was blue with Santa Fe type writing on the side.

Cheers

Matt W

Archived