Engine Shed Details

I am about to build a 4 road Steam Engine Shed with saw tooth roof.

My question is what equipment, tools, etc were usually located in Engine Sheds in the steam era?

Did all sheds have a concrete floor?

Any help will be greatly received. I will be visiting the UK soon and wish to have a list of items to look out for at Shops and exhibitions, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Mark in OZ

I am about to build a 4 road Steam Engine Shed with saw tooth roof.

Any one or region in particular?

My question is what equipment, tools, etc were usually located in Engine Sheds in the steam era?

Depends on the size and importance of the shed. Most common tools would be pretty basic (crowbars, spanners, files, hammers, hose, shovels, brushes, probably a workbench) the bigger the shed the more intensive the equipment (lathes, milling machines, heavier lifting pulleys/beams/chains/jacks etc)

Did all sheds have a concrete floor?

No - not even all the larger sheds. It would be more likely on the newer sheds. But some floors were brick, stone or just well compressed ash.

• RMweb Gold

Hello Mark,

If its a 4 road shed, then possibly 12+ locomotives? So, locomotive pits. Water crane/columns. Normally around 3. Water hydrants (for boiler washouts). Coaling stage/area. Locomens lobby. Sand drier. Foremans office & stores office. Water tower.

Tools particular to a shed would be long shovels, fire prickers (pokers) of various shapes & styles. Fire hydrants would normally have a hose permantly coupled to them, which (should) be coiled up, when not in use. You would possibly see a pile or two of firebars.

When you come over, have a look at Didcot if possible. Its a bit of a 'showcase', but imagine what it would be like at 03:00, then you can get an idea....

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Ian

Thanks Kenton & Ian for the information.

My shed will only be for four large Locos. You could say it will be a generic shed, but I do model LNER mostly, but also have some BR locos & stock which I change over when I feel like a change.

Unfortunately we are not going to Didcot, though Swindon is on the planned visits, due to the shed being a designer outlet (for the wife).

Also the NRM at York, NYMR, Bluebell Rly and a few other places.

Thanks again

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Mark, Didcot isn't very far from Swindon at all, I would urge you to try to visit if at all possible, even if only to avoid going shopping. The NRM at York has a viewing balcony above the workshop but is very modern, clean and tidy compared with a true steam-age shed, whereas the shed at Grosmont on the NYMR is full of atmosphere, grime etc. Again, there is a viewing balcony above part of the workshop but I would recommend getting in touch with the shed foreman in advance of your visit and asking about the possibility of a proper look around. Enjoy your visit. Dave.

I posted a Gallery from Marley Hill Shed on the more prosaic Tanfield Railway some time ago. It gives you an idea of the feel of a working shed (though probably a lot cleaner than an operational shed) You won't be able to make out much detail from the photographs but it will give you the feel.

Tanfield Railway - Marley Hill Shed

Visiting the NYMR shed at Grosmont is good too though a more modern shell.

Archived