RMweb

Lime Street Station

Les Green

Peter

I see no one has replied, so I will have a go. I have some to use but after fitting some Tortoise motors they are a doddle providing you have the space for them under the baseboard, soldering the wires looks to be very easy as the tags are on the edge of the unit

A quick Google comes up with these photos which may answer your question

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=fulgurex+point+motor&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=899&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwizme2xzYvOAhXDPxoKHVICCUIQsAQIKg#imgrc=6LaYgKZoWDSPaM%3A

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Peter,

First my apologies for not replying to your query sooner, but I have been enjoying some time in Cornwall far from WIFI access etc.  :sungum:

The following two links refer to earlier postings on Fulgurex point motors as we use them on Lime Street.

You'll need to use your "Back" command on your browser after reading each post.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/?view=findpost&p=871048

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/33141-lime-street-station/?view=findpost&p=871711

I hope they help you, but if you need any more information don't hesitate to ask.

Steve.

• RMweb Gold

Start of training for the BRM Peterborough Show.....

Following all the upgrades, modifications, enhancements, developments etc. over the Winter and Spring, the layout is once again fully assembled and ready for operations.

Yesterday was the first time it has been operated by a full team of three since it appeared at the Wakefield show last year.

Rob, Noel and I had our fist of three scheduled training sessions, and completed one full run-through between about 11:00 and 16:00, with a suitably leisurely lunch.

The new cameras greatly improve the operators views of train movements, particularly the uncoupling positions and the speed of train departures.

The sequence of train movements has been enhanced by the addition of new stock and the changes to the control system remove the time lost waiting for arriving trains to reach their destination before a subsequent movement can be commenced.

Between now and dismantling the layout for the show, all the operating team will have at least three days of training.

There will also be opportunities for other running sessions of a more "Social" nature in the next two months, and we expect to entertain several visitor groups during that time.

I'm sure photos and videos of our activities will appear on here.......

Steve.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Start of training for the BRM Peterborough Show.....

Following all the upgrades, modifications, enhancements, developments etc. over the Winter and Spring, the layout is once again fully assembled and ready for operations.

Yesterday was the first time it has been operated by a full team of three since it appeared at the Wakefield show last year.

Rob, Noel and I had our fist of three scheduled training sessions, and completed one full run-through between about 11:00 and 16:00, with a suitably leisurely lunch.

The new cameras greatly improve the operators views of train movements, particularly the uncoupling positions and the speed of train departures.

The sequence of train movements has been enhanced by the addition of new stock and the changes to the control system remove the time lost waiting for arriving trains to reach their destination before a subsequent movement can be commenced.

Between now and dismantling the layout for the show, all the operating team will have at least three days of training.

There will also be opportunities for other running sessions of a more "Social" nature in the next two months, and we expect to entertain several visitor groups during that time.

I'm sure photos and videos of our activities will appear on here.......

Steve.

Hi Steve

Looking forward to Peterborough, but although Lime Street is now listed as an exhibitor on this site, it is still not shown within BRM adverts for the show - which is crazy! Perhaps someone from BRM will read this thread and realise that they are missing a trick by not highlighting the appearance of this iconic layout!

Tony

Hi Steve

Looking forward to Peterborough, but although Lime Street is now listed as an exhibitor on this site, it is still not shown within BRM adverts for the show - which is crazy! Perhaps someone from BRM will read this thread and realise that they are missing a trick by not highlighting the appearance of this iconic layout!

Tony

Hi Simon,

There was a bit of an issue with our paperwork for this exhibition. I thought someone else had submitted the paperwork and someone else thought I had submitted the paperwork. It has all been resolved now, and we may have missed some of the deadlines. However the issue of BRM magazine prior to the exhibition will feature a DVD of the layout, which features some groundbreaking video techniques!

Les

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Urgent repairs needed..........

During the recent running sessions a fault developed when trains ran quite slowly through a particular location.

John has investigated this and the fault has been identified as a broken rail:

post-3984-0-19741200-1473192888_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, it is completely inaccessible with the layout fully assembled.

No option but to dismantle several boards, which in turn meant taking the station roof down and storing it etc. etc.

Chaos ensued....

post-3984-0-36840800-1473192885_thumb.jpg

However, all is not doom and gloom.

John has managed to address another couple of issues which have been troubling operators - sighting an uncoupling location or two, and a platform edge which needed trimming ever so slightly. 

All the team are off on a "Jolly" next week, but operating sessions re-start the week after that.

Steve.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The team and layout looked superb on the BRM DVD - such a shame I cant make the Peterborough Show - this would have definitely been the layout to look out for! really stunning work and the electronics blew me away. I imagined the BBQ and beer went down well after a hard days filming!!!

• RMweb Gold

Change of plans……..

In a previous post I mentioned the Lime Street Crew were going on a “Jolly”.

Unfortunately it turned out to be not so Jolly for John.

We had all gone on a two day break to Hamburg to visit Miniatur Wunderland – the worlds largest model railway which I’m sure you’ll all have seen on TV or YouTube.

On the first evening John had an accident – he fell heavily in a restaurant and broke his shoulder. The local A&E dealt with him very well with X-rays and a sling and we continued with a very enjoyable couple of days in Hamburg.

However, John’s injuries are such that we have reluctantly decided that we will not be able to take the layout to Peterborough next month.

I know a number of our followers on RmWeb were looking forward to seeing us there, just as we were all looking forward to going and we are very disappointed to let everyone down.

Once we know how John’s recovery is progressing, we’ll let you know of our future plans.

In the meantime, we’ll all keep making progress on the various layout developments, and it will be all the better when we get a new opportunity to exhibit it.

Steve.

We had all gone on a two day break to Hamburg to visit Miniatur Wunderland – the worlds largest model railway which I’m sure you’ll all have seen on TV or YouTube.

On the first evening John had an accident – he fell heavily in a restaurant and broke his shoulder. The local A&E dealt with him very well with X-rays and a sling and we continued with a very enjoyable couple of days in Hamburg.

However, John’s injuries are such that we have reluctantly decided that we will not be able to take the layout to Peterborough next month.

I was really sorry to hear the news yesterday Steve; please pass on my best wishes to John. I hope he makes a good recovery and I'm sure you're all pampering him in the meantime :no: .

We look forward to welcoming you back at a future point.

• Like 1

Change of plans……..

In a previous post I mentioned the Lime Street Crew were going on a “Jolly”.

Unfortunately it turned out to be not so Jolly for John.

I know a number of our followers on RmWeb were looking forward to seeing us there, just as we were all looking forward to going and we are very disappointed to let everyone down.

Once we know how John’s recovery is progressing, we’ll let you know of our future plans.

In the meantime, we’ll all keep making progress on the various layout developments, and it will be all the better when we get a new opportunity to exhibit it.

Steve.

It looks like we will be attending the BRM show in February 2018 instead of this Peterborough show. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A little more progress....

We've mentioned earlier that Pete Goss is working on the "population" for us.

A couple of "work in progress" shots showing his latest pieces:

post-3984-0-57147000-1476270996_thumb.jpg

Including the Liveried Doorman for the Hotel:

post-3984-0-54424300-1476271011_thumb.jpg

Steve.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

A little more progress....

We've mentioned earlier that Pete Goss is working on the "population" for us.

A couple of "work in progress" shots showing his latest pieces:

attachicon.gifLittle scoucers 1_renamed_26690.jpg

Including the Liveried Doorman for the Hotel:

attachicon.gifLittle scoucers 2_renamed_27242.jpg

Steve.

Whose figures are you using Steve or have you had them made specially?

Totally off topic but as a Scouser, this little tale may raise a smile.  My wife and I were "home" visiting family one time (over 30 years ago now) and I had to get back to work in London on the Monday morning, leaving my wife and the children in Liverpool for the half-term break.  My wife came with me to Lime Street to drop me off to catch the train to London around 6.00am but when we got to the station, the news was that there had been a collision around Weaver Junction the so-called Whisky and Soda accident as the trains involved were freight trains - one carrying soda ash and the other grain.  The lines south were blocked and no direct trains would run from Liverpool via Crewe for some hours.

Never mind we thought, let's go and have a slap-up breakfast in the Adelphi.  Me in my suit carrying an overnight bag and my brief case and my wife in a T-shirt and jeans stepped up to the front door of the Adelphi only to be halted by the doorman in his full outfit as in the photo of the model figures.  He enquired of our intentions and I replied that as I couldn't catch a train to London for some hours we intended to have breakfast in the hotel.  He looked us up and down with a disdainful expression on his face and indicated that while I was welcome to enter and seek my breakfast, there was no way my wife could accompany me.  He offered no explanation for this decision so I said that the lady accompanying me was my wife and that she had driven me to the station, etc. so would he please let both of us into the hotel.

He sniffed and said, "They all say that, sir."

Needless to say, we didn't have breakfast in the Adelphi.

He clearly assumed Maggie May was apparently still working Lime Street back then!

Stan

• Like 5