Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Nene Valley Railway is based in Peterborough.

The model of the hotel is simply stunning. My jaw dropped when I saw the detail. I dread to think of the cost or time spent building it. But then again, if we all thought about time/cost, we wouldn't be modeling railways for a hobby!!!

Nene Valley Railway is based in Peterborough.

The model of the hotel is simply stunning. My jaw dropped when I saw the detail. I dread to think of the cost or time spent building it. But then again, if we all thought about time/cost, we wouldn't be modeling railways for a hobby!!!

Thanks Ian.

That's the one I visited a few years ago.

ive been wondering for while now whether i should post this or not, so i will anyway because it is some-what related to Lime Street

a Japanese animation from 2013 "Unbreakable Machine Doll"

set in a sort of parallel world to our victorian era with magic powered robots called automaton, a boy from japan comes over to a magic academy here in England to get revenge for the death of his family.  the first episode shows him "Raishin" and his automaton "Yaya" on a train that gets into danger as the brakes fail at speed approaching Lime Street.

just to say you only need to watch it up when they stop the train after that theres nothing else railway related

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYUkn8NnqbY

Edited by sir douglas

• RMweb Premium

Making good progress with the painting of the Hotel roof. My wife calls it a big mess. I call it creative clutter!!

75 separate components!

attachicon.gifIMG_0774.jpg

I've just got into major trouble for using our dining room table to do the clerestories on the shed roof for Green Ayre, you must have a very understanding wife Les.

post-6824-0-12345400-1450272738_thumb.jpg

Nowhere close to the standard that you've set with the hotel though Les.

Jamie

• Like 1

Making good progress with the painting of the Hotel roof. My wife calls it a big mess. I call it creative clutter!!

75 separate components!

attachicon.gifIMG_0774.jpg

Tell her there's a big difference between creative clutter & a simple mess.

Anyone can make a mess but it takes time to create creative clutter  :sungum:

• Like 2

I've just got into major trouble for using our dining room table to do the clerestories on the shed roof for Green Ayre, you must have a very understanding wife Les.

Jamie

I do have an understanding wife. She just said!!!!!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Les,

Very sorry to hear this. I broke a wrist on the ice in Canada last winter, your arm is more serious. I can say that for me light modelling was a real therapy which helped me exercise & maintain mobility in the arm as well as feel I could do something. The results may not have been great but that wasn't the point.

Enjoyed seeing Lime St at Wakefield - as well as the RM DVD a few years ago. That hotel will be a big job. At least you didn't do St Pancras!

Dava

The last three comments refer to a photo which I have since removed. I didn't think it appropriate to this thread. Basically I mentioned that progress on the hotel is on hold for a while. Just before Christmas a car knocked me off my bike, resulting in a broken elbow. I am looking forward to a bit of modelling therapy as soon as I can rotate my hand a bit. The next job on the hotel is putting 200 metres of laser cut  strips on to the roof. Completing that should enhance my mobility somewhat! In the meantime lots of 3D design for various bits of street furniture is progressing single handed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some progress to report.....

Today I took Les with me to John's place to get an update on what's been happening...........

First, Les is on the mend after his cycling injury :imsohappy:

John has returned from holiday visiting relatives in USA and is back into serious labour on the layout.

(He actually spent a lot of time "on holiday" preparing the cabling diagrams for the upgrades he's on with:

post-3984-0-78371600-1454012524_thumb.jpg

Whilst John was away, Geoff was hard at work on several developments including preparing for the installation of a dozen new cameras that will greatly improve "driveability" by giving much improved visibility of departing trains, and uncoupling positions etc.

post-3984-0-84250800-1454012529_thumb.jpg

The modified Sector Plate control panel

post-3984-0-94057600-1454012527_thumb.jpg

The extra camera selectors for the Sector Plate operator.

In addition to the cameras, the older Operators monitors are being replaced with new HD versions which will give a much clearer picture.

Putting a window in the top of the Station Control Computer - the "Y" Box

post-3984-0-14118900-1454012534_thumb.jpg

This will allow us a view of the inside without taking the lid off.

This is important when fault finding, as each Relay has indicator LEDs to show its state.

The many opto-isolators can also be clearly seen.

This is the rear of the "Y" Box where all the connections to the layout are made:

post-3984-0-96426400-1454012531_thumb.jpg

You can see there are 18 25-way sockets of which only one is spare.

That's up to 425 electrical connections made just to this one item when we plug everything together.

One of the improvements John is implementing with these upgrades is a Proving Circuit which runs through all the connections.

A 12volt source is picked up at one end of the chain of cables, and is connected through all the cables, using a different pin at each plug/socket.

When all the cables are installed correctly, the 12volt will appear correctly at the other end of the chain, and its presence will extinguish a warning light on the control panel.

If any cable is incorrectly connected or omitted, the light will stay lit, indicating a "Cabling Fault".

Similarly if any connection should get disturbed, the Cable Fault light will be lit.

When you see how many cables are connected during set-up, you'll recognise the benefit of this development.

Other members of the team have not been idle.

Les has been continuing on the Hotel and Rob has been busy with several items of stock as well scenic items.

We'll try to keep reporting progress as and when we can, and it'll all be available to see at Peterborough in the autumn.

Steve.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
John's latest progress report..........

Good News & Bad :no:

Bad:

Some of the work necessary to implement the "Cable Integrity Leads" had been omitted from the previous plan.

Because these go through every board that has at least one cable connected to it, more boards are now in the "Work to be Done" status.

Even if there is no other work required, the CIL has to be provided and tested.

Good:

Baseboard 4 is now complete even the dreaded documentation is done (That has taken me nearly two days to do!)

This baseboard has taken some time to complete as there has been rather a lot of work to do.

There are cables and wires going in all directions to and from the baseboard either side, the sector plate console and the CCTV circuit board !

All wiring has been tested as far as I can, but some functional testing will be required as and when as we progress with the other boards.

Baseboard 5 is now up on the bench and ready for work to start.

Onward and Upward !!

Steve  (pp John)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Another one bites the dust.......

At least another baseboard update is completed.

John's latest progress report -

"Well that's another board done. This one was not as complicated as the last one by far. However it did involve the first new camera to the system namely the gantry camera. I'm sure you (the operators) will all like the view through this one. It gives you a straight on view of the theatre indicator displays, so there will be no excuse for SPADs !!

Geoff paid me a visit yesterday (Wednesday), and we discussed the next stage of the upgrade (Phase 2). I have to say that by the time we had finished, both our heads were reeling, but at least we now have a better idea of what still has to be done. He took home the two station consoles so he can start to upgrade them, this includes the two new monitors (With much better pictures), and all the extra buttons for the new cameras, plus a mass of electronics to make it all work.

Les recently brought over the template of the hotel footprint, so Brian spent much of Monday "adjusting" the well in the baseboards where the hotel fits to suit. Once this is complete we hope to bring the hotel here to test the fit at some time before it goes for painting.

So now it's on to baseboard 6. This one should be quite easy (Famous last words!), no new stuff on this one, just through wired.

Onwards and Upwards,

Steve      (pp John)
  • Like 1