Lime Street Station

Les Green

• RMweb Gold

Some recent posts have mentioned the "wiring" underneath Lime Street's boards, and Mike's recent pictures of some of the trackwork made by Chris Hewitt have prompted me to try to describe how the layout is actually controlled, and the the technology that has been used to create the control system.

The principles are basic DC control.

There are three controllers, two for the Station area and one for the Sector Plate/Storage Sidings.

Traction current is applied to the track only in the sections necessary for the selected routes.

Blah, Blah, Blah.................

I'll take a breather here, and post some details of the two main processers etc. later.

Steve.

My previous post raised a few questions which I hope I've answered.

One point I forgot to make at the time was that the relay array shown is dedicated to that one baseboard.

Each baseboard has its own relay array, of a size determined by the number of active elements needing control.

Logically above all these boards are the two main control cabinets.

One is used for Station control and links the Station Control Panel to the layout.

The other cabinet sits under the Sector Plate and links that Control Panel to the layout.

At the heart of these cabinets are the industrial process control computers which create the "Routers".

There are other computer control systems dedicated to such things as Video Switching. This ensures that the video displays on the operators' panels show the appropriate view for the task in hand.

e.g. When a Station operator sets up an Arrival route, his display will automatically show the "handover" section of the sector plate, so he can drive his train properly. As the train approaches the station his view changes to show the correct platform.

Conversly, when a Departure is routed, the Sector Plate display will show the correct platform view as soon as the operator accepts the train. He can then drive it smoothly away. As it progresses past the Signal Box, his view automatically changes to follow the trains progress until it arrives in front of him on the Sector Plate.

Because these control systems have to "talk" to each other, they share a Local Area Network which links all such elements on the layout.

Now what do they look like:

post-3984-0-33157800-1327259587_thumb.jpg

This is the front of the Station Control cabinet.

post-3984-0-80774500-1327259608_thumb.jpg

This rear view shows the two layers of connecting cables.

Each cable ends in a twenty-five way plug. There are fifteen cables.

post-3984-0-34504800-1327259630_thumb.jpg

This is how the cables connect to the local baseboard for onward distribution along the layout.

post-3984-0-31909800-1327259652_thumb.jpg

Looking inside:

"A" and "B" are the two DC Controlers. "A" is the laft hand operator, and "B" is the right hand seat.

When an operator sets a route, the system links his controller automatically.

(The hand held device with the speed control and direction switch is actually just a remote control for the actual controller which is built in here).

post-3984-0-25485600-1327259718_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the opto-isolators which connect the power to track sections.

The one illuminated is the supply to Platform 1.

post-3984-0-14777800-1327259740_thumb.jpg

This view of the left hand side shows the main process control chips, bottom left.

post-3984-0-43306400-1327259762_thumb.jpg

Closer view of the connections to the external cables.

Under the Sector Plate is the control cabinet for that end of the layout:

post-3984-0-58408800-1327259786_thumb.jpg

This is it - known as the "X" box.

As you can see, it is a four layer assembly of Geoff's wizardry.

post-3984-0-20863600-1327260941_thumb.jpg

The top layer is the main "Power" area, with the main transformers, fuses etc. etc.

post-3984-0-39464600-1327260986_thumb.jpg

Second layer down is the controller for the Sector Plate itself.

You might just be able to read the instructions for calibrating it....

post-3984-0-70751900-1327261031_thumb.jpg

This layer is the Fiddle Yard router....

Finally a shot of the Stepper Motor and mechanics which position the Sector Plate so accurately for us.

post-3984-0-32168100-1327261054_thumb.jpg

In addition to the "Railway" proper there's the road and tram system, but that's another story for another day!

Steve.

• Like 15

Right then - this is so totally above my head and comfort level that I am in awe that anyone would go to this level of trouble - under the board!

Beautiful work and if I ever win the lottery, this is definitely one of the layouts I would fly over to see. Looking forward to the road and tram systems now!

I thought the sign on the wall in the fourth photo was part of the scenery! Finally worked out why it looked out of scale and why it didn't appear to be part of a hotel wall or something.

Please post videos of the running sessions! Please, please, please.... pretty please! :good:

HI

" " words fail me! ...... :O :o :O :o :locomotive: just stuning ,i would not know where to start doing somthing to such a grand scale as this!.

Can not wait to see this at the Alley palley later this year!.

Well done to you all!!!.

Darren

Edited by darren01

• RMweb Gold

Those train shed structures are so nice its almost a shame to put the coverings on them!!

Looking forward to seeing it at Ally Pally but reckon I will have ot have a good look before the show opens as I am sure there will be a lot of interest in this layout!!

Ian

I shared a pizza and a few beers with Spike on Tuesday night and we were discussing this unbelieveable layout.

Spike is honoured to be part of the team and i cannot wait until i will be able to see this remarkable piece of modelling in the "flesh"

Well done to you all 10/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The quality of the work is amazing. If you're ever exhibiting in Calgary, Alberta I'll make sure I'm at the front of the line to see it! I get to Liverpool from time to time because my wife is from the Wirral. Next time I'm there I'll have a good look around and see if the station area is as good as your model. :)

The quality of the work is amazing. If you're ever exhibiting in Calgary, Alberta I'll make sure I'm at the front of the line to see it! I get to Liverpool from time to time because my wife is from the Wirral. Next time I'm there I'll have a good look around and see if the station area is as good as your model. :)

You could always invite us to Calgary, though I expect the expenses might deter you!!

If you do come to Liverpool I am sure we could arrange a visit to the model for you.

• RMweb Gold

A huge thank you to John Holden and the Lime Street crew for their time, courtesy and most excellent hospitality yesterday. I've been very fortunate in being able to grab a series of snaps for a forthcoming issue of MI. I can highly recommend that you make the effort to go to Ally Pally and see the layout with Les's recently completed roof; it is a truly stunning piece of modelling which befits such large-project modelling.

Have you been using your time-machine again Andy?

Absolutely stunning work ...

There will be a large crowd around this fantastic model at Ally Pally (I will be one of the throng).