New Bachmann Class 37 body on old Class 37 chassis

Hi,

I've recently purchased an EWS 'Ty Hafan' Class 37 body (cat no. 32-381). This is the later version with cab lights which I believe needs to sit on a 21 pin chassis. However I'm not too fussed about having the cab lights working so was wondering if it would be able to sit on an older Bachmann 8 pin chassis and if so would the head/tail lights would still work?

I've also got a ViTrains 37 that I could take the chassis from. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first post on here so I'm a bit of newbie!

Thanks, James

I've recently purchased an EWS 'Ty Hafan' Class 37 body (cat no. 32-381). This is the later version with cab lights which I believe needs to sit on a 21 pin chassis. However I'm not too fussed about having the cab lights working so was wondering if it would be able to sit on an older Bachmann 8 pin chassis and if so would the head/tail lights would still work?

As far as I remember there shouldn't be an issue but why not just remove the cab light LEDs? Unless it doesn't already have a chassis! You'll have sort the wiring out for the lights if you swap the body over .

I've also got a ViTrains 37 that I could take the chassis from. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

A couple of people have on here - Pixie for one. His thread on his layout has a picture somewhere within it!

Hi James,

Yes it’s just the body I’ve got so after a chassis for it. Do the earlier Bachmann 37s have a different lighting arrangement in the nose from the more recent ones then?

Had a quick look at Pixie’s one – cheers for that J

The original 37/4 with the 'funny' body had just head and marker lights but the revised 37/0 didn't have any lighting. The revised lighting appear with the first of the refurbished 37 models which did have an 8 pin socket initially. This latest chassis (the one with all axle drive) later received the 21 pin socket. As far as I'm aware the lighting on the versions with all wheel share the same lighting arrangements, well at least beyond nose/light position variations.

Good stuff. After a bit of research I've realised that there are, as you say, 8-pin and 21-pin versions of the recent Bachmann 37s so I'll keep my eye open for a later style chassis for my body.

Many thanks for your help J

James, I had a brief flirtation with this idea a while back but didn't carry it out. I seem to remember that the newer 37 body has cabside doors which extend back slightly further towards the centre of the body (a millimetre or so) so that the body won't fit over the cast body weight in the older version. It's probably easy to rectify if you have a lathe but I put the idea on the back burner for that reason I think. I'll have to check, I'm writing this from memory.....

James, I had a brief flirtation with this idea a while back but didn't carry it out. I seem to remember that the newer 37 body has cabside doors which extend back slightly further towards the centre of the body (a millimetre or so) so that the body won't fit over the cast body weight in the older version. It's probably easy to rectify if you have a lathe but I put the idea on the back burner for that reason I think. I'll have to check, I'm writing this from memory.....

Yes, the version I have has the opening cab doors. I'll probably stay away from trying to mount it on an older style chassis if the weight has to be cut away and just go for the easier option of sourcing a new style chassis from somewhere.

Yes, the version I have has the opening cab doors. I'll probably stay away from trying to mount it on an older style chassis if the weight has to be cut away and just go for the easier option of sourcing a new style chassis from somewhere.

I don't know what you want to spend on one, but Trains on Time have one for £40. I happened to be on there site earlier tonight.

Best regards,

Mark

I don't know what you want to spend on one, but Trains on Time have one for £40. I happened to be on there site earlier tonight.

Best regards,

Mark

Thanks a lot Mark. I'll bear that in mind. If I can pick up a full model with the later style chassis for about £45–£50 then I might sell the spare body and try and make a bit back on it.

Hello

I have done about half a dozen of these. As lights don't bother me that has not been a problem It is only the latest bodyshell where you have to fettle the opening doors to get it to fit. The second version of the bodyshell fits on exactly as the first. The latest one is different so I use a couple of bits of blue tack to keep it in place, you just have to be careful how you pick it up. It certainly provides a use for the earliest chassis whose bodshells went straight to the skiup. Oddly enough I still see them for sale for very silly money.

Cheers

George

I seem to remember that the newer 37 body has cabside doors which extend back slightly further towards the centre of the body (a millimetre or so) so that the body won't fit over the cast body weight in the older version.

I have to admit going on memory on my comments! I thought they fitted to be honest, but if they don't you wouldn't need a lathe or a miller to sort - if you were happy to strip the chassis (which is a good idea if you want to open out and improve the underframe tanks) you would just need a good sized engineer's file to deal with the block.

Oddly enough I still see them for sale for very silly money.

I've noticed that - very strange...

I don't know what you want to spend on one, but Trains on Time have one for £40.

Managed to get a 37 off the 'Bay last night for £51. It has the latest 21-pin style chassis which is great biggrin.gif

Won't be needing the body for it so will sell that off along with the detailing pack (already got one) so hopefully it will work out a bit cheaper than buying the chassis for £40.

Archived