Somthing gone wrong with a photo

ozzyo

Hello all,

I've been doing a photo build in kit & scratch building and have had a problem.

When I moved a set of photos from my camera card to the puter all looked well on the thumbnails but when I opened one of the photos this is what I got.

post-8920-0-18075900-1299929459_thumb.jpg

It should have looked more like this but with more colour.

post-8920-0-90443100-1299929532_thumb.jpg

So in future I'm going to copy them to the folder and check the photos before I remove them from the card.

If any one can give me some pointers about getting the first photo to open? properly I would be most gratefull.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Gold

Several potential problems there (including a dud pic in the first place, sorreeeee) but what I would suggest is that you go into the file on the camera, or card, in the same way as you would go into a folder on your 'puter and try to get the individual file out by dragging it onto your desktop or into the destination folder. And at least if you look at the file/pic while it is still in the camera/on the card you will be able to check that you have actually got a 'good' pic there to start with.

• RMweb Gold

As StationMaster says several potential areas where problem may have occurred, the image is typical of a corrupted file, the decoding of the jpg image fails part way through and a partial image is displayed.

Copying the image again may work for you.

I use Irfanview, this has a thumbs view which is a very quick way of checking the copy has been successful.

Always format the card between uses, don't just delete the images, formatting gives the card a better workout, and allows any bad sectors to be identified.

hth

It looks like your file has been corrupted during transfer from the camera to the computer.

If you are using a USB cable to transfer data, it's possible that the USB cable wasn't fully connected home.

My advise FWIW; is to buy a Universal card reader and use it instead of the camera for transferring files to the computer.

K9-70

Corruption can also occur if the camera is trying to recharge the flash while saving the image and does not have the juice to complete both tasks. I had a compact Fuji that did this from time to time. Make sure the battery is well charged and in good condition if doing lots of flash work.

I understand that fast SD cards (Class 5) designed for video cameras can also consume more power than class 2 cards. This can also give the camera problems. Try another card and see if the problem persists.

Archived