Jessop Yard

Georgie!!

I've been fascinated to know what this inferior quality of the Vi compared to the B-man 37 actually is, perhaps you could enlighten us, please. From what I've concluded speaking to others, it seems to be the received wisdom without any actual factors substantiating it.

well where do i begin :lol: firstly Bachmann's have opening doors and Etched roof fan grilles, Cab lighting, Quality bright LED lighting, Driver in the cab, sprung buffers, chainlink couplers supplied with the brand new releases, some factory fitted with sound, very heavy and able to pull more than the scale load, Flush glazing, Hardly any detail parts to fit, good moulding and paint finish, same price as vitrains and u get alot more for your money B) .

As for Vitrains: thin cheap plastic that LED's shine through, yellow nose too pale, lots of small parts to fit, no sound versions available to buy from new, Not much cab detail, pathetic air horns, no opening doors nor flush glazing.... The only UP to buying the vitrains 37 is that they release liveries quicker than Bachmann...

well where do i begin laugh.gif firstly Bachmann's have opening doors and Etched roof fan grilles, Cab lighting, Quality bright LED lighting, Driver in the cab, sprung buffers, chainlink couplers supplied with the brand new releases, some factory fitted with sound, very heavy and able to pull more than the scale load, Flush glazing, Hardly any detail parts to fit, good moulding and paint finish, same price as vitrains and u get alot more for your money cool.gif .

As for Vitrains: thin cheap plastic that LED's shine through, yellow nose too pale, lots of small parts to fit, no sound versions available to buy from new, Not much cab detail, pathetic air horns, no opening doors nor flush glazing.... The only UP to buying the vitrains 37 is that they release liveries quicker than Bachmann...

This will be covered over on my blog when I've finished my trio, but at the risk of hi-jacking Georgie's layout thread briefly, to set the record straight:

The Vi loco does have separate fan grille, sprung buffers, good directional lighting and flush glazing: fact.

Subjectively, the pair I'm working on have an exceptionally good moulding and the paint finish is extremely well applied.

The Vi loco is as heavy as it gets, and able to pull well over a scale load too, so on all the above you can't get a fag-paper between the two models.

The bodyshell is, far from being thin, one of the thickest shells I've ever worked on, the nose for example being 3mm.

To the subjective, then: opening doors are to me an unnecessary gimmick, in fact as the locos are being repainted, they are a positive hindrance, cab lighting is unnecessary for my operations, and I wasn't in the market for factory sound when buying these.

All of the above says to me that the choice is very much a personal one, but I would suggest that many of the criticisms of the Vi are (as I thought) rooted in folklore rather than experience, because just the few criteria above demonstrate that.

To close though, as I need to backdate 37/0 locos, the Vi is the better practical choice, as well as being much cheaper without compromising appearance, quality or performance. The separate noses and bag of detail parts are also ideal as that's where most of the work is concentrated. So the choice is ultimately personal and subjective, but please let's not perpetuate the untruths about the Vi model as though they were fact.

Cheers for an interesting debate and the opportunity to do a thorough check on the product that is literally sitting on this keyboard! Keep up the good work lads - all of ya!

EDIT: I know this is naughty, but to show you where I'm heading, and terrify you youngsters with some real loco fronts before they were welded over, here's the reason for buying Vi - and it's called major surgery wink.gif post-7083-126777710123_thumb.jpg

Hiya Chaps,

No worries, not a problem, it intresting stuff sounds like Bachmann is the make to stick with wink.gif

Really, you cant change CV settings on the select controller?? Thats bad, new DCC controller me thinks wink.gif

Wow, umm where to start laugh.gif Cheers Chard and Magic Monkey for your comments, very intresting stuff!! Chard those 37s look great mate, that is major surgery laugh.gif

Im not around tonight so no updates, again!! I shall try and do something over the weekend and I shall take photos too biggrin.gif

Regards

Georgie

About the 37 fiasco

Both Bachmann and vi trains offer good models,the decision on which is best depends upon each individuals personal choice.They both have plus points and like Chard said there isnt much difference in the two models,although I havent got a vitrains 37 so couldnt evaluate the two products properly from what I have heard Vitrains offring is a sound model and is especially good for detailing and people entering the hobby who have limited amounts of cash-like Hornbys railroad range.Hattons is selling some for a mere £39!!! :D

Regards

Lewis

Hiya all,

Well bad news Im afraid!! I have been really thinking and sleeping on this one and have decided that Jessop Yard is going sad.gif Its just one layout that I have problems after problems with!! This weekend I actually was going to bolt the layout together but the three baseboards are different heights and even with a bit of card underneath the track is completley out and does connect how it should. All of that is my fault due to me rushing it and me not being the worlds greatest person when it comes to wood!!

Alot of this also happened with me turning 18 and found new things to do and people to meet.

Im still going to have a layout, but just a more intresting one and one that is only 4ft by 2ft so that it can be easily hidden if mates come round to me house biggrin.gif

I may just take all scenics off, pop them in a box and see if they can be used on the new layout!! The layout isnt in a perfect condition even the wood work is terrible and track alignment is way out, but if your intrested PM me!!

So what to do?? Well, Im not leaving the hobby at all even if it means having a shelf layout, its better than nothing!! The new layout is going to be 4ft by 2ft. Its going to be a terminus station with a run around facility, hopefully, and a tiny either head shunt or wagon siding. The Era Im struggling with, I really dont know steam so thats not on the list, but I wouldnt mind going BR Blue days but most or all me stock will need to be sold and replaced!! So I think I may just stick to Modern day so that me 66 can be seen Ying Yinging away in the station or Siding tongue.gif But the plan doesnt stop there!! Im planning on adding a little village scene on the front, you know few houses a pub biggrin.gif Gardens and a field!! I shall post a plan later on for you all wink.gif

I will, however, be taking a little break from modelling, and have a real good think about me next one too!!

Thankyou all very much for help and all the kind comments on Jessop Yard its being fun!! Look out in the future for a thread called 'Greenwood' biggrin.gif

Thanks all, Regards

Georgie

Hi Georgie

So sad,Jessop yard was one of my favorite layouts on RM web and I was always interested in seeing it developed.

Youve got to save that superb depot building and some of the track.Dont be in a rush to hide the hobby to friends!

Im looking forward to the dawn of Jessop Yard II :D

Kind regards

Lewis

Hiya Lewis,

Yes, Jessop Yard is curently in pieces but many pieces of materials are being saved for future layouts. I dont plan to leave the hobby in fact Im building a new layout right now-ish biggrin.gif Its called Greenwood, its a terminus station, with a run-around facility and a siding that hopefully shall stable a class 158 or at least 153. The new layout will only be 4ft by 2ft, but if I want too, I could make it bigger, but small is ok for me right now. The scenery will be based aon a little village, its a made up place rolleyes.gif The houses are Skaledale range, as I dont have a clue how to scratchbuild a house, they look a bit scary to build to me!! The houses will be super detailed with flowers, grasses etc and also street furniture too.

I dont yet have a trackplan yet to show you all, Im still messing around with and changing certain things on the plan!! Im just really going for this one and so lots of planning is needed!!

In the future, way in the future, Jessop Yard will come back but bigger, and better!! As by then I may have a train room biggrin.gif

I shall try and keep you all posted, but look out for a new thread biggrin.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hi ,

as you know i too have been following Jessop Yard ,

Quick question you say the track does not line up because the whole layout is seated on a pasting table ?

Could you remove all the wood under the pasting table top , and then re-cut and lay the top onto a more stable baseboard ?

i hope you see what i mean ,

Shaun .

Hiya shaun,

No, the baseboard framing is from a pasting table. I use to do all my layouts on them as I found them easier as the legs and framing has all ready being built for you, but they are really bad for bending in the middle. I had three pasting table frames and added them straight onto Jessop Yard, but didnt think about measuring them to see if they where different heights, but after screwing them in place I soon found out that they where different heights sad.gif

Im also wanting a new fresh start, and build something a little bit different from Jessop Yard biggrin.gif Its only down the line from Jessop Yard and will have visitors from the yard that will run around its wagons before heading back up the line. Still modern locos shall be around wink.gif laugh.gif

Hope that helps, Regards

Georgie

Im still going to have a layout, but just a more intresting one and one that is only 4ft by 2ft so that it can be easily hidden if mates come round to me house biggrin.gif

Just be yourself Georgie. Besides in a few years it's quite likely as your lives take diffrent paths (uni. jobs. marriage. kids. and all that) that you'll all have forgotten of each other. Sorry but friendships are often transitory.

So if I were you, I'd just do your own thing (ie: have a big layout) and don't worry what your friends think of you.

Hiya Vac_Basher,

I can see where your coming from there, but unfortunatley, Jessop Yard has gone sad.gif Half went to the tip over the weekend and the other half has been completley striped of scenic stuff ready to be transformed into a fiddle yard. At the moment the little 4ft layout will do, I have got big plans for Jessop Yard mkII, But I also must just say I do miss the TMD, stations are not for me sad.gif But it will only be a couple of years biggrin.gif I only want a small layout too, because when mates do come around, Im not so bothered to what they say, but it was more the size!! It was 10 times harder to place in a corner of the room when theres three boards wink.gif

Anyways, I have started a new thread called Greenwood!! I hope it creates the same amount of attention as Jessop Yard did biggrin.gif wink.gif

Kind Regards

Georgie

Hiya all,

Well, its been an event-full few days/weeks. Firstly Jessop Yard was no more, then Greenwood appeared, but after much thought, and I really mean that, Greenwood has also gone!! But, Jessop Yard MK2 is currently being drawn up!! So you could say Jessop Yard is back biggrin.gif Its going to be 6ft by 1ft ish but this time stay that size rolleyes.gif Its going to have a two road shed, two fuelling points and loads of storage space!! So the fleet of 66s will roll on!! The baseboards are currently being looked at so that all tracks will line up correctly and will be the correct height not like last time, miles out!! The layout plan though is bigger, not much room for a car park at the front but still a place for the trainspotter. Im also thinking of adding a bridge (road) to hide the baseboard joint, but again, still in thinking mode wink.gif All track has been saved from the previouse attempt, but Im hoping that this is the layout!!

I shall get a trackplan up once completed, and shall continue with updates here.

Apologise for messing you all around, hopefully this is the layout!!

Regards

Georgie

Hi all,

Just finished laying the track and made sure that this time it all lines up, it does wink.gif

I suppose next job is to start wiring, ohh joy!! And then theres ballasting rolleyes.gif Backscenes shall be put up on this version and I have also been given a couple of stands/legs, there where for some sound speakers for a radio but now for Jessop Yard, so once the boards have been bolted together I can then place it on the stands and hopefully not do any damage to me back!!

So, with track now layed a trackplan is needed so here its is:

post-6787-126920752471_thumb.jpg

The Blue square is the TMD shed, the brown is the fiddle yard and the green is the fuelling point, I forgot to save the version with all the writing on. The layout measures 6ft by 1ftish

The plan is very simular to the original but more storage sidings for locos, Im thinking of adding a Washing plant for the locos but not too sure, do you think I should??

All comments welcome!!

Regards

Georgie

Hiya all,

No photos yet, but I have had quite a successful morning with the backscene

Yes, I finally have cut some wood and screwed it in place on the baseboard sides, Im just a bit confused as to what scene to actually add, I was thinking countryside??

Next on the To Do list is:

Bolt the two boards together

Check all track is pinned in place

Start the track wiring

Start ballasting!!

There the jobs I dislike the most, so I shall get them out of the way first!

The job To Do now is to start the wall that hides the Fiddle Yard from view wink.gif The fiddle yard will hold two locos only.

Im also looking into either adding a field for the sheep or cows that I have got, or create an embankment for some height for the layout?? If I do make the embankment one thing I shall add is lots of trainspotters as it would be a perfect view of the depot!! Im also going to add Portakabins and little yard buildings in the centre of the layout, again just to be a bit different wink.gif I have also calculated that up to 20 locomotives can be parked and still leave room for a bit of movement biggrin.gif

I shall post pics of the finished backscene, back to it I suppose rolleyes.gif

Regards

Georgie

Hiya all,

Today wasnt a bad day for me, I managed to get all track correctly laid and lined up, backscene cut, screwed in place and now just finished painting them!

It makes the layout look better me thinks, but once all the scenics begin to appear I think they will look better!

Below is a photo of the backscene:

post-6787-126937024669_thumb.jpg

You can also see the track in place.

Next job is rail painting, wiring and ballasting! Probably be painting first as I have run out of PVA glue and ballast is on order wink.gif

I know the posts are a bit boring, but its the boring jobs that need to be done once there done the fun can begin biggrin.gif

All comments welcome!!

Regards

Georgie

Hiya all,

Vac Basher - At the moment I need the backscenes up so I can line the shed up correctly to the backscene so that theres no gap wink.gif Even though thats still slowly being done!! Cheers for the comment!!

I can honestly say that nothing has been done on the layout until this morning. I decided to start ballasting, half way round and now have run out of PVA glue but have got some photos for you all. I ordered some ballast a couple of days ago, me thinking it was Grey ballast, turns out its a pinky brown colour, so different colours of ballast has been placed around the depot. I did have half a bag of grey ballast left and so mixed it with the brown and have used this around the stabling point, its sort of looks weathered with the grey mixed but I shall attack it all with a black wash wink.gif

Photos:

post-6787-126969437311_thumb.jpg

Photo above of grey ballast mixed with the brown

post-6787-126969438986_thumb.jpg

Photo above of brown ballast not mixed

I next job is to lay the depot flooring now and the flooring for the buildings that will sit in the middle of the layout biggrin.gif

All comments welcome!!

Regards

Georgie

Evening all,

This afternoon I decided to lay and paint the island in the middle of the layout for the buildings. The portakabin is for the train drivers and the little building is for the track workers and shunters, or the main office for the train drivers wink.gif

Still loads to do!! Next Im going to paint the flooring where the shed will sit

I have also decided that the ballast is awful!! I just really dont like the colour, looks like another order needed, but this time grey!!

Heres a couple of photos of the island and the buildings: Apologise for quality

post-6787-12697202716_thumb.jpg

Above, the end of the island

post-6787-126972025572_thumb.jpg

Above, buildings in place still loads of scenic items to add here

All comments welcome!!

Regards

Georgie

Archived