RMweb

DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

To be honest mate i tried the light unit above the layout today and it casts so many shadows all over, i might get a couple of street lights to sit at the back were the offices are and one in the car park, i think that if i get a venue that is not to well lit, the lights will do a grand job, and they add a little atmosphere too. Really pleased with the plaza light, im tempted to get another but i dont think there is room to put one in, iv also thought about making a set of the small industrial lights on a small stand and a little geni in the compound, what do you think??

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

The night / dusk shots look good.

I like the idea for the 'task lights' and generator.

I was on the train from Hertford East to Liverpool Street in the week and noticed that there was about 20 or 30 task lights, with small generators lying alongside the railway line (near Tottenham I think), obviously for some night work along the railway. Unfortunately couldn't take any photos, plus would have had some strange looks from fellow passengers! I'm mad, but not that mad!!

Hi all, thanks Andrew, Richard, matt and lee for the very kind comments, i will try and answer what i can, mind in a fragile state after a beer soaked weekend blink.gif

Andrew and Richard, always a pleasure, im going to have a go at these light units iv got a few pics, i think the units themselves will be fairly easy, the generator on the other hand could be a task, i may have to try and find one off the shelf if possible.

Im also unsure of what led's to use, would the lights have been a yellowy type or would a white light be ok.

I think the lights will highlight a little of the detail in the compound, it often gets missed, even by me when the camera is out.

Hi Matt, i think the 1st and 4th shots are my favourite, and to be honest im such a camera novice i have no idea what exposure i had it on, all i know is i had it on the Av setting on my canon G3 the exposure i think was on -1, i think laugh1.giflaugh1.gif, but im pleased with how the lighting of the layout lights have given it a whole new dimension and i think i will be taking a few more night shots as the lights get added.

Hi Lee and thanks again, im really pleased with how things have turned out with this layout so far and im glad you like the pics i hope i can get some more good shots and hopefully understand my camera a little better to get some even better shots.

Thank you all for taking the time to look through my thread

Cheers

Neil

Hi all, i know it seems like im just plonking pics on here at the moment, but not much modelling has gone on around the layout and im trying alot of bits and bobs with the camera and i really like how the night shots have been turning out so iv added a few more that i have taken this evening.

tomorrow im going to have a go at finishing the blue 20 and iv also ordered a trainsave decoder to see what there like.

ok a few night shots, i love the shot of the 09 under the floodlight.

post-6696-0-08019900-1312836539_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-21820600-1312836546_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-42499600-1312836552_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-76749600-1312836558_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-28599500-1312836564_thumb.jpg

as always please leave any comments and also any tips on the pics i have taken and what i can do to improve them etc.

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Took delivery of a trainsave 4 function, 8 pin decoder today, i was very apprehensive as iv heard mixed reviews, but now im sold on these, iv had countless problems with the Bachmann chips being noisy and juddery but the trainsave are smooth and quiet.

I firstly ran my Bachmann 37 with this in and it responded well running slowly and quiet.

Next a swapped the chip into my Heljan 33, this again was very very smooth and quiet and ultra responsive, crawling faultlessly on step 3 on the dynamis.

I will definatly be putting these in the rest of my fleet and for the price they are more than worth it.

I havent played about with the cv settings or anything and i may try a little fiddle, but as an out the box product they are great

Cheers

Neil

Hi Wayne, believe me im no electronics man either, the plaza light comes ready made from kytes lights with 2 wires out the bottom, straight through the baseboard and wired into a 9v mobile phone charger, thats as simple as it gets, the depot lights are the gaugemaster bulbs, wired to each other and then fed through some evergreen tube so the wires are hidden inside the roof and again fed through the baseboard to another mobile phone charger.

the simpler the better for me

Thanks for looking and your cool comments

Neil

Hi Wayne, believe me im no electronics man either, the plaza light comes ready made from kytes lights with 2 wires out the bottom, straight through the baseboard and wired into a 9v mobile phone charger, thats as simple as it gets, the depot lights are the gaugemaster bulbs, wired to each other and then fed through some evergreen tube so the wires are hidden inside the roof and again fed through the baseboard to another mobile phone charger.

the simpler the better for me

Thanks for looking and your cool comments

Neil

Hi Neil

How do you wire the lights up to the Charger?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike, very simple, chop the end off the charger, the bit that goes into the phone, use electrical block onto the cut wires, then wire the lights in sequence inside the building or where ever you have your lights, and then the feed from the lights into the electrical block on the charger, really simple, i also used a small transformer that plugs into a battery charger for a radio controlled car, they seem to have a fair bit of power, im no electrical genius, beleive me simple is the way i go.

Neil

Hi all thought i would post a few pics of the 20 that i think is now finihsed, final bit was doing the bogies matt black then while it was tacky adding a little oil stain powder to build it up, once this was dry i used my water/powder method using browns and black powders.

also in the pics are some of my wagon fleet, iv down scaled alot of the wagons, 16t minerals going to Redgate Models and a shoe box going to RBE for refurb for Outon Road.

This has left me with a few bits, iv tried to keep at least 2 over every wagon as Deeping Lane isnt big enough to accomadate much more, im going to carry on the same principle with some wagon kits also.

post-6696-0-25049700-1313684370_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-20812400-1313684378_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-04172100-1313684387_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-16197700-1313684394_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-08522900-1313684402_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-29068700-1313684410_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-15802700-1313684418_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-67638800-1313684426_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-83245600-1313684435_thumb.jpg

please feel free to comment on anything on here

Cheers

Neil

• Like 3

Thanks Alan, i knew you would appreciate a little blue on the Lane, i think the next 20 that i should be getting soon will get a little fading on it, its something i want to learn to do and i think looks superb on 20's.

Need some screwlinks too

Neil

Thanks Cav, i think i will be coming for some blue fade lessons for the next one definatly, i may have to get a lighting kit for them too

Thanks Mike, thats ok dont worry i am in need of electronics school, hopefully Ragtag has explained it a little more and probably better than i could have, Thanks Ragtag for the link too, very helpful indeed

Neil

A few more shots, hopefully not boring ppl with the constant pics, its nice to have a near finished layout and to try and get some really nice shots of the stock.

Quality stock is something that my past projects have been lacking and have found myself going over alot of the old stuff that appeared on Charlie st and Pilot Road and finally getting my teeth into the weathering and detail of locos and wagons.

post-6696-0-91466900-1313869056_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-17413400-1313869065_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-69327500-1313869071_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-79692200-1313869078_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-38747100-1313869085_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-34965200-1313869093_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-67400000-1313869101_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-02871500-1313869110_thumb.jpg post-6696-0-95789400-1313869117_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-24071500-1313869126_thumb.jpg

Cheers for looking at my thread and for putting up with the constant images, i guess im kinda proud of what iv achieved so far with this project and iv learnt a hell of alot and pushed my skills in learning dcc, wiring point motors and lights, scratchbuilding buildings and the stock side of things, i big leap from Charlie St and Pilot Road

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Hi Neil, get a sound chip in that 20, you wont regret it! On the lights front, I have wired LED for my buildings on Marston direct into the track putting a small bulb or resistor in to the loop. With DCC you have that constant current and don't need more power sorces. I have also used Express Models Class 37 tail light kits for my Buffers on Kingsmill ( one kit dose 4 buffer stops) with the 2 wires going down the legs and soldered to the track and then covered in foliage. Andy.