DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Hi Neil, did I read your geting 37800 Glo Cymru? Its a great loco, half the price I paid for my two Bachmann 37's They look great once detailed and dirtied ! Only word of caution the decals are imposible to remove without taking all the paint off to the body in case you were going to renumber, also the name plates from Shawplan are smaller so I was forced to remove tho printed name which then damaged the body paintwork. Other than that a great buy, Im still looking to get the triple grey mainline they Vi do for £36 and re livery it to Petrouleum. Cant wait to see your locos.

Hi Leon, yes 37800 is going to be making its way onto Deeping Lane Depot soon, iv already been warned about both the name plate and the decal removal, i think im going to leave 37800 as it is and try to get the nameplates fitted with like you say a bit of touch up over the old name, My good friend RBE has warned me of the decal removal on the vi trains locos, i have the vi trains mainline 37 that your after, very nice too, and a great buy at the price, not very good with a Bachmann 2 function in it though, you must have read my mind as only last night myself and Cav were talking about putting it into a petroleum liveried loco, will be interested to see how you get on with yours, you have alot of nice 37s on your south wales freight layout, great work.

Cheers

Neil

Thansk Neil, Glad you mentioned the Bachmann decoder, Both my Vi 37s are slow to respond compared to the bachmanns, I was going to ask the question on here but guess its down to the Bachmann decoder I have in them.....

Cheers

Leon.

Hi Leon

i have the cheapo Bachmann ones in mine, there were very noisy and responded very slowly and stuttered alot, i swapped them for TCS T1s and the run lovely, thats just from the experiance iv had with the cheap Bachmann chips, i havent tried any other decoders as the TCS seem really good.

Neil

Thanks Neil, I have not heard of TCS but will try them on the next one instead of the cheap Bachmann ones I also use...lol. Wikll also look to replace the ones I have now when I get some spare cash.

Nice one.

No problem Leon, i think it is the usual case of you pay for what you get.

Ok a little work on Deeping Lane today, i wasnt to happy with the fencing on the front of the layout and after a chat with Cav it worked out that the fence woud be a scale height of about 8ft, this didnt work out to well with just the 2 wires on it, so i decided to put the same security fencing up as what is around the compound at the rear of the layout, i think it looks alot better and took some shots of the new fencing

post-6696-0-87619600-1311005344_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-25308100-1311005352_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-88530700-1311005359_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-90929800-1311005366_thumb.jpg

let me know what you think

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

I forgot to put how the fence was made, its the basic ratio security fence with there netting all the way around, i replaced the top wires with some light grey thread ( borrowed from SWIMBO's cross stitch box laugh.gif) and threaded through, knotted off and glued to keep the tension, this was all then weathered using a light brush with powders and a few weeds and grasses around the bases, final touchs are a few signs fitted to the posts.

Cheers

Neil

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Neil, I have not heard of TCS but will try them on the next one instead of the cheap Bachmann ones I also use...lol. Wikll also look to replace the ones I have now when I get some spare cash.

Nice one.

I have used a TCS M1 in my Bachmann 08 and what a difference! I would recommend you have a look at the TCS. Several friends use them and are generally very good. They are about twice the price of the Bachmann decoders, but worth the extra for control and configuration.

I have also used a Lenz Standard in my Heljan 33 and this works very well. These are the 'base' Lenz decoders and certainly appear to be better than the Bachmann ones.

No problem Leon, i think it is the usual case of you pay for what you get.

Neil

That seems to be true with decoders!

The cheap decoders are fit for the bin. I intend to replace all of mine as cash allows.

Neil that fence looks a lot better. I intend to have loads of that stuff on Outon Phase 2. Think I need a new pack to do what I plan.

Leon heres a pic of my Vitrains redone as 37 707. Is this what youre after?

post-6894-0-18606200-1311008893_thumb.jpg

cheers

Cav

• Like 1

Thanks Richard and Cav for the decoder advice.

and thanks on the fence Cav, it was your thoughts on the previous one that set the ball rolling, you get alot of fence in the ratio packs, but i think the netting would be better replaced with something a little more sturdy and easier to fit, the thread through the top runs works well, doesnt seem to bend so much like wire.

love the 37 mate, thats defiatly what im after too laugh.gif

neil

• RMweb Premium

ERM... Did you know that if your security fencing if it is for the depot is facing the wrong way? The type of fencing depicted the barbed wire should be inside the fence line overhanging the property being protected. Don't be disappointed a well known modeller made the same mistake in a magazine article. The reason is it is harder to climb over such fences when the barbed wire is angled away from the intruder.

I dont know if thats fact or not Ill look it up, certainly these fences do angle in as you have suggested but Im not 100% on the reason. Its difficult to climb either way but I would go so far as to say its harder to climb the way Neil has done it, bird table principle, however if its angled away from the property then the top of the fence would be outside of the property line of what its protecting thus encroaching over someone elses boundary hence it usually angles inward. It then of course has the added bonus of trapping intruders inside but Im sure thats just a nice side effect! Neil may well be justified leaving it as the car park I assume also belongs to Deeping Lane depot. Im gonna do some digging I think. However if you are in fencing or sonething then I apologise for doubting your knowledge. As a mischeivious kid I have climbed such fences and used my coat over the top to scale the wire. I could only do it one way. With the wire going away from me.

Edit: Bit of research done. Link to page. The human resistance bit mentions wire leaning towards the intruder.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbed_wire

Hi Phil, i can totally see were your coming from, looking at the fencing i would tend to agree with cav and say that it would be harder to climb over the fence facing the way it is, from personal experiance its harder to climb up and backwards than it is to climb up and over, thats just my opinion, i may be wrong.

In this case the fence is merely a barrier between the car park and the railway its self and does belong to the depot itself, well assumed Cav

Thanks for the input though phil, and for looking at the thread, i dont think there is really a right or wrong in this case, yet again i could be wrong

Cheers Cav for putting the link up, appriciate the effort to clear the facts up.

Cheers

Neil

usually the bared wire bit is on the inside so that you are already trespassing when you get injured so you can't claim for the injury !!

that's the reason military bases have razor wire inside the fence and not the outside

Thanks Richard and Cav for the decoder advice.

and thanks on the fence Cav, it was your thoughts on the previous one that set the ball rolling, you get alot of fence in the ratio packs, but i think the netting would be better replaced with something a little more sturdy and easier to fit, the thread through the top runs works well, doesnt seem to bend so much like wire.

love the 37 mate, thats defiatly what im after too laugh.gif

neil

Even better with its sister!!

Cav

PS if the car park belongs to Deeping Lane depot then they are already trespassing so no lawsuits needed!!

The cheap decoders are fit for the bin. I intend to replace all of mine as cash allows.

Neil that fence looks a lot better. I intend to have loads of that stuff on Outon Phase 2. Think I need a new pack to do what I plan.

Leon heres a pic of my Vitrains redone as 37 707. Is this what youre after?

post-6894-0-18606200-1311008893_thumb.jpg

cheers

Cav

Hi Cav, not quiet, Im keeping her as 709 but when she carried Petroleum Decals and Immingham/Ripple Lane Plaques. There is a good picture on www.railphotoarchive.co.uk.

Im disapointed to hear about the fencing Neil, this makes my layout a total fake ! all my fencing is backwards, my grass is not real, my 37/8's are infact 37/2's and they are not powered by diesel but electric..Oh no I hope they dont look at my layout too close....Great work with the fencing by the way, I think it looks great even if your helping Deeping Lane intruders.....

Regards

Leon.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if I've upset anyone with regard to the fencing.sorry_mini.gifI would point out however that I have never seen it done correctly and as I said in my post the same mistake was made by a professional model maker so your in good company.

cheers, Thats ok Phil, no apology needed, iv looked on loads of layouts and like you say its all different ways so you havent upset anyone and thanks for taking the time to study the layout, i dont know about in good company though i think the pro's would find much more than a fence problem laugh1.giflaugh1.gif

Thanks Leon, i tried to open the link but it wasnt having any of it, im tempted to do ( get Cav to do laugh.gif ) my mainline 37 into Ripple Lane, why this loco??? well when i was a wee lad my first ever loco that i had was a lima 37 ripple lane, i think it was in petroluem branding then, it was the first loco i tried to detail and weather when i was amamber of the alfreton model railway club when they had there layout down at the midland railway centre, iv looked it up again and iv found pics of it with mainline logos, not sure if its as easy to remove the numbers as it is the mainline logo, and also source the name plates

in fact looking at the pics i wont be able to unless i add the light units in the front, so it may stay as 709 as iv found a few pics of that now, sorry rambling thoughts blink.gif

Cheers

Neil

Yeah ripple lane was an 8er Neil. It was converted from a later central headcode box loco rather than a splitty as the 7s were. The problem with 37s is that every subclass has different body details so switching sub class is never a quick fix. The only ones you can do really are 3ers from low numbered locos and 4s to 6ers and vice versa. Even then there are subtle detail differences.

Cav

Hi Phil, dont apologise, this forum is all about people talking and commenting on layouts..As Neil said the fact someone has taken the time to veiw / read the thread is great., thoughts and inputs alway welcome, I wasnt having a dig just reasuring Neil that most of our layouts (well mine) are not 100% correct.

Anyway I should be working....

All the best guys...

Yeah im finding that alot mate, think im going to have to find a loco to turn into ripple lane some were im still learning buddy laugh1.giflaugh1.gif

got some nice pics of 709 so i think it will stay like that laugh.gif

Cheers mate

Neil