DEEPING LANE DEPOT

mason

Neil, that OCA is fantastic and I would be very happy to have one like that on my layout. I see you used powders wet, I will try that on my BDA's this weekend, I have only ever used powders dry on buildings. Well done.

Can you let me know what Tamya powders they are,

Thanks and once again great work.

All the best Leon.

Hi Leon, thanks for the kind comments, im really pleased its turned out well especially as i was experimenting really.

I used the tamiya weathering master packs, which have 3 kind of powders in them, they are packs B and D and contain burnt blue,burnt red and oil stain and the other contains snow, soot and rust.

i also brought a little handy brush pack from Avon which contains some really nice brushes of different sizes in a little wallet, i think there ment to be for makeup but my girlfriend thought they would be ideal.

when weathering the wagon i initially lightly wet a normal small brush and randomly paint it over the panels, then with a very dry soft brush run the powders over the damp area, once dry i remove most of the powder with a cotton bud, doing this several times building wifferent blends in, it was pretty much trial and error and i wiped alot off and re applied when i wasnt pleased with the finish.

i think i may redo the bogies with an airbrush as its slightly harder to get the finish.

Hope that helps leon

Neil

Hi mate, thanks for the comment, means alot coming from someone who does a fantastic job on my locos yes.gif

Yeah im going to varnish it, not sure what varnish to use, can you recommend one??

iv also got 2 more OCAs to do now so hopefully get a similar finish.

Cheers

Neil

I tend to use matt clear cote through the airbrush. I dont even know if you have an airbrush ive never asked. I personally find it hard to get a matt finish with a brush. Always seems to dry satin for me no matyer how much I stir it. Humbrol matt varnish might do you for these as although usually drying with a very slightly cloudy finish it might give the illusion of slightly faded paint I dont know. Experimentation is the name of the game really.

Cav

Hi Neil,

Just been catching up on your thread, B) I think your OCA looks good, I would try and paint out the yellow axle boxes though it will give it that longer out of works look.

Something I do on my wagons is add a bit of silver on the sprung bit of the buffers.

Hope the pic shows you what I mean.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-33991200-1310823991_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

for pigments and powders, you can get a fixing solution. i have used often one by MIG PRODUCTIONS, they do powders and millitery modeling kits, but i'm sure some will come in useful for trains too.its put on by brush, drys matt and no need to varnish over.

Hi all

Hi Cav, i do have an airbrush, but no compressor, but i have one on the way as my friend found one in his garage which im going to have a look at and see if its working ok, so ill have an experiment on an old wagon. i didnt want to go with the brush really, i think you always have the risk of that streaky look which might not be there to the eye but can guarantee the camera will pick it up

Thanks Peter, love your OCA great work and some great tips that im definatly going to use to improve mine, really like the silver on the buffers.

Cheers Elagage, my local model shop have just started stocking the MIG products and was discussing them the other day, some nice stuff so i may try a few of there colours that are different to what i have.

Thanks again to all the great comments and tips

Neil

Cheers Alex, that is one of my favourite shots of the whole build so far, just need the buffer beam detail and i think they would look very realistic, and the OCA has come out so well, im hoping the same process of weathering will work on all my wagon stock

cheers

neil

After some positive comments on the OCA i decided to do a little more work on it taking in peter and Cavs advice, also some great tips from Cav on doing the buffers.

let me know what you think, the next step is to get it all matt varnished.

post-6696-0-02651600-1310900958_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-47070600-1310900966_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-33367300-1310900974_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 4

Thanks Leon im really happy that this is turning out well and really appriciate the help, hints and tips and advice that has been given thanks

No 2 OCA is on the work bench, i think the hardest thing about doing a few of the same wagon is keeping them slightly individual, hopefully the second one will be a little different to the first using the same process

Neil

I agree Neil, I did 4 BP TEA's and at the mo they all look the same, its easy to weather them all the same and like you say the trick is to make every wagon individual. Keep up the good work as its inspired me to get back on with my own layout, Cheers

Thanks Leon, im not sure how to make them individual, other than the varying the degree of weahtering and making certain spots lighter or heavier, i dont want to go as far as painting false panels etc, so hopefully just weathering them lighter or heavier works out.

Im really glad iv inspired you to get back onto your layout, really like your loft layout and the stock you have is fantatstic, especially the 37s, which reminds me i should really get the front ends done on mine laugh.gif

Thanks Leon

Neil

Hi Tom and thanks for looking at the layout and for the complement, The corrugated plastic is a wills product, its actually called box profile, not to expensive and easy to use, i think i used about 4 or 5 packs on the depot building, good luck with your project and i hope to see a thread on it soon

Neil

Another little update, im flying this weekend laugh.gif

Iv completed the 2nd OCA, iv tried to make it slightly different to the other, im pretty happy with them now and i think i will matt varnish them as soon as i get the compressor rigged up.

also got to get some proper screwlink couplings just to finish them off, and then i will do a little work on the insides, maybe a load or a sprinkle of ballast maybe.

post-6696-0-72365400-1310908427_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-75892700-1310908434_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-30256400-1310908442_thumb.jpg

I also started on an ews vba last night, iv only done the one side as im really not to sure about it, iv hunted some pics and alot are very very faded and old, but i wanted mine to look fairly used but not to old, im really open to suggestions on this please as to if its ok or i should start again, im also struggled with how to do the roof. as iv said before im pretty new to weathering.

post-6696-0-00755700-1310908636_thumb.jpg

post-6696-0-58643400-1310908643_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 2

The sides of the EWS van look great, you have not done what I did and added to much dirt thus hiding the colour of the wagon, most of my stock is all one dirty colour, I think the roof may need a bit more though as they seem to weather faster and sometimes don"t even get painted when the rest of the wagon is done.

Your looking an expert in my eyes.

Some of those Dutch OCA's are going on my wanted list I have Railfreight but they look great in Dutch. Also I need to get some silver paint to touch up my buffers also, really adds life.

Well done.

Thanks leon, its the roof im struggling with now, i need to find some pics of a few to have a go at it, believe me the van was wiped off loads of times before i was happy with it.

Cheers Chris, i think im getting into the habit now of looking up proto pics just as a general guide.get that 37 over soon and we will get some shots of it on Deeping Lane laugh.gif

Hi Cav, dont worry there is another 37 that will be coming your way in the not to distant future, and its nt the Mainline one i got a few weeks agao laugh.giflaugh.gif

Cheers

Neil

Ha ha., doing wagons is a bit different to locos i think, give me another year and i might be confident enough, but cheers for the confidence boost, i cant keep surprises very long and beside you will only text and ask me anyway laugh1.giflaugh1.gif

Iv secured 37800 in coal sector, looks tasty laugh.gif

Neil

You need to let me get my hands on it with my weathering kit though first Chris! haha

Thanks Cav, I'm happy with it at the moment, although got a job for you- PM on the way!

Neil- Your getting addicted with these 37's, hoping for a 37/4 next ;)