Silver Link

Ed-farms

I am still sitting on the fence weather I order one or not. Was a silver A4 not done about 3 or 4 years ago as a limited set? It is one of the liveries that I like but they don't like my layout! :angry: I spent about an hour last night going through why the A4's don't like one curve I have cured the A1/A3's but the A4 still perplexes me! BTW all the Bachman Pep. A1 and A2 both circulate beautifully... so i can't run my favorite loco's, the flying duck and SNG, I did also solve the other problem with the Hornby loco's being unable to go up the 1:30 by removing the weights from the teack coaches.

Any chance of a decent photo of yours on here when you get it? I'm wondering how its colours compare to Quick Silver and Silver King that Hornby did about 10 years ago.

As requested.

post-6918-0-44288400-1300528341_thumb.jpg

The front of the box

post-6918-0-22850100-1300528350_thumb.jpg

The back, usual history of the loco, no errors that I can see in the text.

post-6918-0-35562300-1300528360_thumb.jpg

This is what greets you inside the box, colour is nothing like that on the box. But I do think this is an accurate rendition of the real thing.

post-6918-0-51945800-1300528365_thumb.jpg

Loco now on a lentgh of track, oh for a rake of Silver Jubilee stock.

post-6918-0-69958600-1300528370_thumb.jpg

Close up of the tender, lettering is spot on.

post-6918-0-64955900-1300528376_thumb.jpg

Front 3/4 view, this really is a magnificent model, hame the real thing is not preserved.

post-6918-0-98699600-1300528381_thumb.jpg

Head on view, really does look good.

Anyone thinking of buying one, do so! You won't regret it.

The main colour if Precison do the right should be? is much too pale. Bufferbeam number is too small. I agree the tender should have the space around the Water Filler plated over too. The Smokebox and Roof should be Charcoal Grey not Black

Sadly it appears to be no different than the earlier Quicksilver and Silver Fox , look at my model thread for the earlier versions with the Jubilee train .

Having said that it is still a lovely model and for a very good price compared to a recent A4 arrival :)

Hi

Yes I will grab one of these so I have 2 different names. I got a couple of the train packs when they came out, not realising all the coaches were wrong. The loco lokks like it is the same tooling which I think is great. Hornby have done a great job with the A4. She looks good, runs good, and are well weighted plus it has plenty of room for extras.

Besides the water filler what else may be different than the Jubilee model.

Here the Silver Jubilee on youtube with DCC Sound smoke and lights. I just happening to be adding the finishing touch's to a n gauge A4 "Silver fox" which also has DCC sound duel smoke and lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2E_DSIihhms

Cheers

Martin

There is a streamlined plate missing from the top of the Hornby tender.

It looks to silvery for me - there is a model at the NRM Warehouse which IIRC was made at the time when the real thing wore the livery. T R Williamsons in Ripon made the paint and still have the recipe on file.

Here are the pics I took recently of the model mentioned, not many people will be able to get that view, my height does have its advantages!

post-3421-0-53710800-1300612736_thumb.jpg

post-3421-0-50927400-1300612757_thumb.jpg

post-3421-0-97312700-1300612798_thumb.jpg

Some more Loveless A4s in O Gauge are getting made later this year, very tempting!

post-3421-0-55956200-1300613006_thumb.jpg

The main colour if Precison do the right should be? is much too pale. Bufferbeam number is too small. I agree the tender should have the space around the Water Filler plated over too. The Smokebox and Roof should be Charcoal Grey not Black

Sadly it appears to be no different than the earlier Quicksilver and Silver Fox , look at my model thread for the earlier versions with the Jubilee train .

Having said that it is still a lovely model and for a very good price compared to a recent A4 arrival :)

Mick,

You're claim that the bufferbeam number is too small is incorrect; although it is too tightly spaced. Photos of the real thing show it with the small (standard) shaded numerals at the front end whilst still carrying the silver-grey livery. From 4462 onwards and retrospectively for the earlier A4s all got the large size shaded numerals (other than those that got the stainless steel cut out numerals).

This fact has escaped the research of Hornby and Golden Age (and let it be said the NRM at York on Mallard), who still put the standard size on their other LNER A4s - all historically incorrect. Unforgiveable really as there are plenty of photos to show how the real things looked pre-WW2.

That said, I'm still looking forward to the arrival of my Silver Link, as you say the Hornby moulding is very good for the money.

Glenn

If Bittern as Silver Link was right colour wise back in the 80s, then I'd say that the trix silver A4 was perhaps the nearest colour to the silver if you ignore all its other errors. Also the early 90s Hornby silver A4s were much nearer than the current Hornby ones (which are nearer white than silver!) The Bachmann Silver Fox is the worst colour IMO, its mid grey. I'll post some pics later (no silver Trix A4 though, sorry!)

Jim

EDIT:

On reflection, the Bachmann one isn't that bad, its just grey in stead of silver! I tried taking pictures, but my camera over exposes, and they all looked the same!

Hi

Just on the colour has anyone got or seen a coloured photos of the Jubilee A4's from the 30's. I only ask because I have looked everywhere and never found one. When I plan to paint my Brass Jubilee coaches do I paint the loco also? I am happy with Hornbys colour so unless a coloured photo appears I am matching the coaches to the Hornby loco.

If Bittern as Silver Link was right colour wise back in the 80s
I may be wrong here but I am sure I may have read it on the LNER forum that most thought this colour was incorrect????

I would love to see a coloured photo from the 30's.

Martin

I would love to see a coloured photo from the 30's.

Martin

Just checked my copy of 'The Big Four in Colour' and had a peek at the one colour shot it had of a Silver A4.

Colour Rail has a smaller version of the same photo you can see-

no 2509 at Grantham on Jun 1937. Sadly not hauling streamliner stock.

Looking at it and then the pictures of the model Hornby did a very good job.

Hi

Thank you very much Klink, I'm sticking with Hornby for my colour as I think out of all the manufacturers they are the closest. Great coloured photo. How about that A4 4489 with big bells on the front of the loco from 1938/39. Anyone know why?

Excellent site for coloured photos, never knew about it thanks again Klink.

http://www.colour-rail.com/Category1.aspx

Martin

Hi

Thank you very much Klink, I'm sticking with Hornby for my colour as I think out of all the manufacturers they are the closest. Great coloured photo. How about that A4 4489 with big bells on the front of the loco from 1938/39. Anyone know why?

http://www.colour-ra.../Category1.aspx

Martin

If you are asking why did 4489 Dominion of Canada have a large bell, it was a gift from the Canadian Railroad which the engine carried until a double chimney was fitted in the late 1950's.

Hi

Excellent site for coloured photos, never knew about it thanks again Klink.

http://www.colour-rail.com/Category1.aspx

Martin

Your welcome Martin, glad I could help!

If you can find a copy, I can thoroughly recommend you get the book 'The Big Four in Colour'. Full of interesting shots that are of great use to the modeller.

Out of idleness I seem to remember that the bell was originally worked by a steam jet or something. On the first run they used it but they couldnt get it to stop, and the stupid thing wouldnt stop clanging the whole journey...thus after that incident the jet was removed and it was not used that way again!

Wonder if thats what inspired Rev Awdry's story about Gordon's whistle...

Renumbered Hornby Quicksilver using Fox transfers, I have a picture of 2509 with this size numbering in the book Streamlined Trains. Other pictures I have also show Hornby numbering is too small and wrongly placed too. There are at least two sizes of numbering in the pictures. I need to remove "Class and A4" as not present in the photo I have.

post-7186-0-28833200-1300903877_thumb.jpg

The problem with colour

post-7186-0-25920700-1300903906_thumb.jpg

post-7186-0-43292900-1300903912_thumb.jpg

Coaches in Precision Paint version of colour.

1930's colour photos vary variable in colour shades due to time of day etc as said many times before. The problem Hornby have tht have already done two in this almost White shade therfore they will not risk producing another version in another shade. The have the same problem with the LNER Coaches , they have put the side beading in the wrong place and will continue to do so with the new Full Brake version in case they dont sell !!

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Been following the thread above and see that someone said the colours are wrong. Going by the only colour photo I know, the colour-rail one mentioned (which used to be called NE74), the colour is perfect. in 1937 at least, Silver Link had black, not charcoal smokebox area, and the 'silver' is almost white. The only discrepancy in Hornby's painting is that the cab roof colour should extend down to just above the windows. Having said that, this could simply be muck!

Re the streamlined casing around the tender filler, there is no sign of this on the 1937 colour-rail photo. I think they were removed. This makes Hornby's model correct but for a limited window. I'm told by a reliable source (my dad) that SL was repainted blue in late 1937, which very much surprised me.

The other positive about the colour-rail photo is that SL is hauling teak stock on the Flying Scotsman - so you can justifiably run it without silver stock. In fact, it seemed to be as often off silver stock as on it: I found something on the internet which gave all SL's diagrams for 1935 (you might be able to find it by googling 'silver link 1935' or similar), and that's the picture one gets.

Attached a pic of my work in progress - staining finished, wheel rim painting in progress, replacement Gibson bogie wheels fitted today. Apologies if the 4mt in the background offends any LNER men!

Cheers.

post-708-0-39150100-1301506903_thumb.jpg

This is the Golden Age offering at Ally Pally last sunday

post-7186-0-49684800-1301513250_thumb.jpg

The main colour is more like the Precision colour on my Jubilee Stock. However this version muddies the water even more . The roof is mid grey as is the front and the side tops of the tender .

Presumably they have done a lot of research on these £1000 Locos however ( read further info below). I think the Silver Fox emblem is awful far to heavy and thick in appearance , otherwise beautiful especially in the South Africa Coronation version as below

post-7186-0-28195200-1301518270_thumb.jpg

RCTS state

Smokebox Front Charcoal Grey

Valances , Frames Battleship Grey

A photo of Silver Link when built shows a Battleship Grey roof to the rainstrips only , this colour is carried over to the tender top ,this is carried no front number this was added after the recessed front coupling was modified to normal appearance. All my references show the roof colour to rainstrip only. The roof would have quicly become a very dark Grey/Black. Presumably Cleaners would not have gone onto the Roof to clean it once in service ? My other photos all show a very dark roof and tender top presumably the Golden age version is a version when first built it appears to have a recessed front coupling too ? Once in use perhaps the roof /tender were repainted to Black ?Charcoal Grey as the original colour was not very practical ?

Boiler , Complete Tender, Wheel Centres Silver Grey. It doesnt state if the Jubilee Coach sets were the same colour as the Locos .

Large Nos as per my above model in previous post and in photos I have were added in late summer 1937. prior to this they had Silver Numbering shaded Blue still larger than the Hornby offering. When first in traffic they carried no front numbering.

All four Grey Locos were painted Garter Blue between Nov 1937 and August 1938

Tenders had the rear plated over in 1936 and removed October 1937 after a fatal accident

• RMweb Premium

Very useful, MickLNER.

So SL only ran with unplated tender rear in silver (as depicted by Hornby) for a month or two. Wow! Talk about a small window.

So the only prolem with the Hornby model for this small window livery-wise is the cab roof (easily rectified with some muck) and the small numbers (easily recitified as you show). The colour in the C-R photo looks much closer to the Hornby model than to Golden Age's offering (and the tyres have better depth), but as you say, there may have been repaints - though it would have bene odd to make the loco lighter!

A bw pic in the Railway Magazine LNER special of 2006 shows a silver A4, still with recessed coupling, to be a different colour from the stock. The loco is lighter, and the discrepancy is more or less like the pic someone posted of Hornby's SL on Precision-painted jubilee stock.

Personally, I'm happy with Hornby's SL. It looks spot on for colour - just needs those two tweaks.

Cheers.

No the Tenders had the covering for about a year mid 1936 to autumn 1937 .

I believe its possible that the Golden Age model is as presented when new in 1935 with the recessed front coupling. That went in July 1936 after another fatal accident as they never recieved the tender mods until the same time the Golden Age model is incorrect as the tender should be open/normal style in 1935.

All the photos as mentioned before have have the roof and tender top in a Black/Dark Grey as well .

I have no intention of changing the colour of the two Silver A4's I have :) but I dont think the colour is dark enough personally and as the weathered version in th picture above shows a bit of dirt darkens the colour quite well.

Personally my Pacifics stay clean they are much too nice to cover in muck :rolleyes:

Colour photography was very much in its infancy pre war, and often the representaion of colours was rather hit and miss. Silver is still a notoriously hard colour to capture on film due to it being a metalic paint. Also exposure affects it to a larger degree than with other colours. A can of worms indeed!

Anyone got any shots of 'Bittern' masquerading as silver 2509 in the 80s? Id like to see the look of it compared to Hornby's model.From what i remember seeing i think the valences were grey like on the GA model.

It must have been fantastic to have seen the livery in the flesh. Pity Bittern is now in brunswick green.....

Archived